Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Zero Punctuation - Spore (17/09/08)
Posted 2008-04-09, 01:52 PM
Probably the best five minute reviews you'll ever hear.

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is the reviewer - Yahtzee is a British-born, currently Australian-based writer and gamer with a sweet hat and a chip on his shoulder. When he isn't talking very fast into a headset mic he also designs freeware adventure games and writes the back page column for PC Gamer, who are too important to mention us. His personal site is www.fullyramblomatic.com.

The reviews are fantastic. It's something you'll hear copied, but never done as well.

The site is: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...eropunctuation

He updates evey Wednesday, at about 3 hours ago (5pm, for me).

23/07/08 - Age of Conan
16/07/08 - Alone in the Dark 5
02/04/08 - Army of Two
05/12/07 - Assassin's Creed
05/09/07 - BioShock
27/08/08 - Braid
12/03/08 - Burnout: Paradise
06/02/08 - Call of Duty 4
14/11/07 - Clive Barker's Jericho
16/03/08 - Condemned 2: Bloodshot
16/01/08 - Crysis
05/03/08 - Devil may Cry 4
03/09/08 - Eve Online
28/11/07 - F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate
30/04/08 - God of War: Chains of Olympus
14/05/08 - Grand Theft Auto 4
12/12/07 - Guitar Hero III
03/10/07 - Halo 3
18/06/08 - Haze
15/08/07 - Heavenly Sword and other stuff
09/07/08 - LEGO Indiana Jones
19/09/07 - Manhunt
19/12/07 - Mass Effect
31/10/07 - Medal of Honor Airborne
25/06/08 - Metal Gear Solid 4
06/08/08 - Ninja Gaiden 2
09/04/08 - No More Heroes
04/06/08 - TES4: Oblivion
17/10/07 - The Orange Box
21/05/08 - Painkiller
26/09/07 - Peggle
13/08/08 - Prince of Persia Retrospective
22/08/07 - Psychonauts
30/01/08 - Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
20/08/08 - Soul Calibur IV
09/01/08 - Silent Hill: Origins
13/02/08 - Sim City Societies
17/09/08 - Spore
24/10/07 - Super Paper Mario
02/01/08 - Super Mario Galaxy
23/04/08 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
10/10/07 - Tabula Rasa
12/09/07 - Tomb Raider Anniversary
10/09/08 - Too Human
19/03/08 - Turok
27/02/08 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
23/01/08 - The Witcher
28/05/08 - The World Ends With You
26/03/08 - Zack & Wiki
07/11/07 - Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

11/06/08 - Console Rundown
30/07/08 - E3 '08 Trailer Park
07/05/08 - Mailbag Showdown
02/07/08 - Webcomics

The reviews are so good that even if you haven't heard of the game the review is worth watching, and the music at the start and end of each one is brilliant. Always.

To see a full list of his reviews, go to: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/prof...tzee%20Croshaw

EDIT: There'll be quite a few English references in the reviews, which a few of you might not understand. Feel free to ask, and I shall answer.

I'm also going to stick this and, everntually, get round to putting all the reviews up in this first post, which I'll update every week.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-09-17 at 02:35 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-09, 02:39 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Zero Punctuation - Spore (17/09/08)"
I watched the Phantom Hourglass one. Genius haha. Gotta watch the others sometime.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-04-09, 04:41 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I watched the Phantom Hourglass..."
Watched Mass Effect, and I must say I agree with him entirely. Also, he's probably the funniest british guy I've ever heard. I think I chuckled a couple of times.

EDIT: It says he's in Australia right now, so I'll just assume that he's been there for a while. Australians, I've always noticed, seem pretty funny, and quite random. I have a few Australian/New Zealandish? friends who are pretty hilarious.

EDIT2: Bahaha, I just watched his Assassin's Creed review. That was hilarious.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2008-04-09 at 04:47 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-10, 07:56 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Zero Punctuation - Spore (17/09/08)"
I enjoyed the Guitar Hero III review.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-04-10, 08:10 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I enjoyed the Guitar Hero III review."
lol that one was hilarious.

It ends with "I'm not gay."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-04-16, 10:19 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "lol that one was hilarious. It ends..."
And the new one is up!

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

I've also updated the first post with all the reviews in alphabetical order.

Enjoy!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-23, 10:11 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "And the new one is up! Condemned 2:..."
This week it's the turn of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

Good review. Lots of blood.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-23, 10:22 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "This week it's the turn of Super Smash..."
Ha, 'Gametraders Robina'.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-04-23, 10:26 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "This week it's the turn of Super Smash..."
This dude cracks me up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-04-23, 11:47 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "This dude cracks me up."
A lot of aussies are sarcastic as fuck. Racist too .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-23, 11:57 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "A lot of aussies are sarcastic as fuck...."
Shame he's English then, ain't it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-04-23, 12:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Shame he's English then, ain't it?..."
It is .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-04-23, 12:52 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "It is :(."
Good review this time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-30, 01:02 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Good review this time."
And this week, God of War: Chains of Olympus goes under the scalpel.

Quite a positive review for Yahtzee.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-01, 01:31 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "And this week, God of War: Chains of..."
Watched the Army of Two Review and Assassin's Creed.

Bloody hilarious.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-05-07, 10:28 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Watched the Army of Two Review and..."
Not a true review this week, but rather an answer to some of the hate mail he's been getting over his not-so-glowing Super Smash Bros. Brawl review.

Rather amusing. I particularly like the irony of him going through and adding punctuation to the e-mails.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-08, 01:42 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Not a true review this week, but rather..."
I saw the god of war chains of olympus one on Xplay and remembered this thread and began to watch many of these.

Edit: I aspire to be just like this guy.

Last edited by Coffeedagger; 2008-05-09 at 01:28 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coffeedagger

Posted 2008-05-14, 10:07 AM in reply to Coffeedagger's post starting "I saw the god of war chains of olympus..."
Yep, Yahtzee tackles the behemoth that is Grand Theft Auto 4 this week. Just about to watch it, so I don't know if it contains any spoilers. If it does, I'll be slightly annoyed, and I'll edit this post to let others know.

EDIT: None at all.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-05-14 at 10:12 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-05-14, 10:53 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Yep, Yahtzee tackles the behemoth that..."
This guy is funny when you can understand him.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-05-14, 01:08 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "This guy is funny when you can..."
Lenny can you list the American equivilent of some English insults.

I am now watching every review Yahtzee makes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coffeedagger