Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

I thought we were past this kind of nonsense
Posted 2007-07-27, 08:25 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19980923...5773?gt1=10150

Also, go to the poll after the story and look at the results. I'm glad some people are above this asinine "research." It's so bogus, it's extremely hard to believe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-27, 08:32 AM in reply to Thanatos's post "I thought we were past this kind of..."
So I went into that with an open mind, figured "they had evidence to back it up", and then realized they are dumbfucks.

They even said they can't prove that marijuana is the reason that the chance for psychosis goes up, they suspect that since marijuana users have a tendancy to use other drugs(with no factual evidence to back this up, even though it's most likely true,) they think the other drugs are increasing the chance of psychosis, so obviously they should attack marijuana instead of these other said drugs.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2007-07-27 at 08:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-27, 08:41 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "So I went into that with an open mind,..."
Alright, so to sum up what they are saying, pot users are anywhere from 50% to 200% more likely to get psychosis than non pot users. They can't say that this is BECAUSE of the pot, but they can show that pot users are more likely to get psychosis.

They can't prove that there isn't something in effect that increases the chances of both pot use and psychosis, either. Maybe there's a disorder that increases your chances for both drug abuse and psychosis.

Also, the average chance of getting psychosis is about .5%, if you increase that by 50%-200%, you get a .75%-1% chance of psychosis. That's an increase of .25%-.5%. That's almost negligible.

They're retarded.

Don't you find it amazing that all they said was pot use MIGHT increase your chances of psychosis to .75%-1%, but they don't know for sure, and they made it sound so scary like pot will kill you. Do you know how many people are probably buying into their bullshit right now? It's sickening.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-27, 09:10 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Alright, so to sum up what they are..."
I was watching a special on the history channel last night, and they said one black man in particular would go into a frenzy sometimes when he smoked a bunch. Turned out that he was highly-schizo, so they threw that 'pot premise' out of there. It's almost like watching Alberto Gonzalez try to make sense in his debates...

Last edited by HandOfHeaven; 2007-07-27 at 09:12 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-07-27, 09:40 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I was watching a special on the history..."
I didn't see anything wrong with the study per say. They made an objective observation, unequivocally stated that weed may or may not be the cause beyond the increased rate of psychosis, and then stated that in their best opinion it is probably marijuana.

They probably have more reasons underlying this opinion. If what they had on msnbc is all the researchers had behind their claim, then yes, it's probably stupid, but my guess is that this article is a severely abridged version of the actual study that was published. Msnbc is not going to get into the nitty gritty scientific details.

And even if the study is accurate, so what? People do stuff all the time that is harmful for them. Alcohol damages your liver. It's probably still worse for your health than pot. Same with cigs. I don't understand why the government has a war against pot.

What would be bad is various agencies trying to mislead people based on this study. This study itself seems alright to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-27, 10:20 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I didn't see anything wrong with the..."
There could be something else about marijuana users, “like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses,” Zammit said.

Ahahaha. This guy fucking failed his psychology class.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-27, 10:33 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "There could be something else about..."
Damnit Zammit!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-27, 02:21 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Damnit Zammit!"
Psychosis is my friend.

I heart Mescaline
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2007-07-27, 02:24 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Psychosis is my friend. I heart..."
So you're a big fuckup druggie huh?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-27, 05:08 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Psychosis is my friend. I heart..."
Mescaline is hardly the drug of "fuckups". Also, Thanatos, shut the fuck up hypocrite.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-27, 09:07 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Mescaline is hardly the drug of..."
Mmm, percocet...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-07-27, 09:14 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Mmm, percocet..."
Mmm, water.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-07-29, 11:26 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Mmm, water."
Mmmm Semen Jewces.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2007-07-30, 01:52 AM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Mmmm Semen Jewces."
You come back after a hiatus to post this? Slaynish you are certainly living up to your reputation!

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-30, 08:05 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "So I went into that with an open mind,..."
Im not defending anything here, mainly because i have started smoking a little more frequently for myself (maybe once or twice a year) but i remember in those D.A.R.E. lectures that they called pot the "gateway drug." Im not sure if its necessarily true, but it is something that stuck with me all through school. If they are right and pot is a "gateway" drug, then that could be why they are saying psychosis goes up (lead the attack on the original source)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-07-30, 09:25 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Mescaline is hardly the drug of..."
RoboticSilence said:
Mescaline is hardly the drug of "fuckups". Also, Thanatos, shut the fuck up hypocrite.
How am I a hypocrite? All I do is smoke weed. I've dabbled around in various drugs before and I've realized that's not for me. From Spector's posts, it sounds like he's into all drugs known to man and he's consumed by them. That is what I meant by fuckup.

I don't believe weed is a gateway drug, either. Why?

Thanatos said:
It's because marijuana is the first drug that people try. Why? Because it's so easy to get and everybody does it. People don't think, "Hey.. I wanna see what drugs are like. Lemme pick up a crack pipe." No, they try weed because their best friend is smoking it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-30, 09:38 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "How am I a hypocrite? All I do is smoke..."
I would agree with that Thanatos. I think I'm living proof, as that's pretty much how it went for me.

It was just the first drug I tried, because it was the easiest to get my hands on and it was the tamest shit I could do.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-30, 10:16 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I would agree with that Thanatos. I..."
Yeah, same here. I'd be willing to bet that 90% of drug user's first drug was weed, just for the sheer fact that millions of teenagers smoke it and it's readily available.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-30, 11:51 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Yeah, same here. I'd be willing to bet..."
The problem is, the same kind of people who did this research would look at that 90% and say that marijuana causes people to do harder drugs. They feed off of falacies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-30, 12:15 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The problem is, the same kind of people..."
!King_Amazon! said:
The problem is, the same kind of people who did this research would look at that 90% and say that marijuana causes people to do harder drugs. They feed off of falacies.
Is there not a strong correlation between the two? If some of those harder drug users had never been exposed to marijuana would they have still gotten into those harder drugs? If the answer is no, then don't the answers to the previous two questions suggest some form of causation?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes