Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Second Hand Smoke
Posted 2005-12-13, 10:32 PM
Me and my friend are having this huge argument about second hand smoke.

I say it's insignificant and should be allowed, he says it's very significant and should be banned.

What are your thoughts?

His sources:
http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/he...hand_smoke.asp
His dad, the doctor; 30 yrs experience; hasn't done a study

My sources:
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/epa.html
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/who.html
http://www.fumento.com/disease/passive-smoking.html
http://skepdic.com/news/newsletter41.html
http://www.junkscience.com/news2/zion.htm
http://www.junkscience.com/news2/wtedets.htm

He still refuses to listen to me, what do you guys think?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
`Insolence` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between`Insolence` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

`Insolence`

Posted 2005-12-13, 10:36 PM in reply to `Insolence`'s post "Second Hand Smoke"
`Insolence` said:
Me and my friend are having this huge argument about second hand smoke.

I say it's insignificant and should be allowed, he says it's very significant and should be banned.

What are your thoughts?

His sources:
http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/he...hand_smoke.asp
His dad, the doctor; 30 yrs experience; hasn't done a study

My sources:
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/epa.html
http://www.davehitt.com/facts/who.html
http://www.fumento.com/disease/passive-smoking.html
http://skepdic.com/news/newsletter41.html
http://www.junkscience.com/news2/zion.htm
http://www.junkscience.com/news2/wtedets.htm

He still refuses to listen to me, what do you guys think?
Having worked in a bar/grill heres my thoughts...
When I'd go to work I could teel a difference in my speech the smoke would dry out my throat and it would be hard to speak sometimes. And my eyes would get dried out and shit... I wouldn't say ban it but the people that REALLY don't like it deserve to be treated better and there should be like a wall between them or something
XBL: GreatThanatos69
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Great-Thanatos is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGreat-Thanatos is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Great-Thanatos

Posted 2005-12-13, 10:48 PM in reply to Great-Thanatos's post starting "Having worked in a bar/grill heres my..."
exactly, regardless if it kills me or not, it bugs me to smell it, breathe it(makes me cough)... i dont want it

ban it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2005-12-14, 01:32 AM in reply to `Insolence`'s post "Second Hand Smoke"
Whether it is a significant health risk or not, it's just curteous to actually care about how other people feel. Both of my parents smoke, but if we're riding around somewhere or something and they light up, they crack their windows or open the sun roof so the smoke isn't coming back and choking me. It isn't right to force us to live with it just because you're stupid enough to do it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-14, 06:37 AM in reply to `Insolence`'s post "Second Hand Smoke"
Ban it.

It does no-one any good, and it smells disgusting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-14, 08:34 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ban it. It does no-one any good, and..."
I remember reading something somewhere a few years ago that stated that second hand smoke is actually deadly for those who are exposed to it. Apparently, we have no filters, like the butt ends do, so we breath in the most toxic part of the cig. I dont have evidence that its bad, or the source to back it up, but i think that it shouldnt be around people who caringly to not smoke. But the problem is on a more global matter so what can a few people do about it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-12-14, 09:53 AM in reply to Acer's post starting "exactly, regardless if it kills me or..."
Well, In consideration for people who smoke like me, I live in minnesota and it is cold. Like right now its really cold, I dont wanna go outside, I think there should be designated areas for smoking but I dont think that it should be banned. If a restarunt wants to ban it beacuse that is their policy its ok but I dont like it.
It used to be that you could smoke anyplace in america like goverment buildings and shit, at least give us the smoking section in our local resturant beacuse some people have an addiction and that was their decision. It bothers me when I am in my neighborhood perkins witch has a different room for smoking and some bitch with her baby comes in and starts complaining beacuse its her babys health at risk, you dont brink a baby to a drinking party, so dont bring it to a smoking resturant.
Smokers deserve rights too.
Zelaron - [ Translate this page ]
Zelaron est une communauté en ligne pour des gamers, des programmeurs et des ar.
www.yotor.com/wiki/fr/ze/Zelaron.htm - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Arkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenArkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Arkantis

Posted 2005-12-14, 09:58 AM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "Well, In consideration for people who..."
Arkantis said:
One persons rights cannot overrule another's. You chose to smoke, we didn't. I do agree it shouldn't be banned because prohibition of anything is silly unless it's something extremely dangerous.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-14, 09:58 AM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "Well, In consideration for people who..."
In crazy little Britain I think that they're bringing in this new bill or something, that means anyone that sells food has to ban smoking. Many pubs have got to close their kitchens if they want smoking to carry on. It;s already happening in Liverpool.

And in ireland I think they've already done that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-14, 10:00 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "In crazy little Britain I think that..."
They are making beer with niccotine in it due to the smoking bans all over the place. Well thats what my boss at my old job said, she said it will be around soon, from germany she said.
Zelaron est une communauté en ligne pour des gamers, des programmeurs et des ar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Arkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenArkantis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Arkantis

Posted 2005-12-14, 10:03 AM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "They are making beer with niccotine in..."
HAHAHA!

Psycho Germans!

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...stories-83-rdf
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-14, 10:09 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "HAHAHA! Psycho Germans! ..."
Perfect idea really I should of thought of it. What if a person who never smoked before got addicted to their beer.
I wonder if there will be different niccotine strenghts for differnt beers. Will it affect the taste? I want one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Arkantis

Posted 2005-12-14, 10:15 AM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "Perfect idea really I should of thought..."
That's a thought.

They could make millions with those beers. Get people addicted and they'll never stop drinking.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-12-14, 12:03 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "That's a thought. They could make..."
Well the world is fucked now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-12-14, 04:55 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well the world is fucked now."
I second that... Germans going for world domination again
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2005-12-14, 05:21 PM in reply to Acer's post starting "I second that... Germans going for..."
Second hand smoke time and time again have been proven to harm people by giving them lung cancer, etc.

Now, Im not saying that if you are in a bar and people are smoking, that you are going to get cancer. No, but in that case it is a courteous thing to do. People might have asthma, or other breathing problems. Or, they could be like me, and just not want to smell and breathe in that shit. It waters my eyes, and gives me a sore throat.

I am very glad that the province which I live in (Saskatchewan) banned smoking in all public places. It made eating out might nicer for me.

Ban it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2005-12-14, 07:06 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "Second hand smoke time and time again..."
I dont think the concern is for the public so much as for the people working in the bars and resturants, if this was all about the public that would just be dumb. I feel bad for those people who do not smoke but have to work around nasty smoke all day, but its an occoupational hazzard.
If you clean skyscraper windows they dont take the windows off so that you dont risk falling even thow its not that big of a problem.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Arkantis

Posted 2005-12-14, 07:34 PM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "Well, In consideration for people who..."
Arkantis said:
Well, In consideration for people who smoke like me, I live in minnesota and it is cold. Like right now its really cold, I dont wanna go outside, I think there should be designated areas for smoking but I dont think that it should be banned. If a restarunt wants to ban it beacuse that is their policy its ok but I dont like it.
It used to be that you could smoke anyplace in america like goverment buildings and shit, at least give us the smoking section in our local resturant beacuse some people have an addiction and that was their decision. It bothers me when I am in my neighborhood perkins witch has a different room for smoking and some bitch with her baby comes in and starts complaining beacuse its her babys health at risk, you dont brink a baby to a drinking party, so dont bring it to a smoking resturant.
I'd rather it be banned from all eating stablishments because putting a saliva-soaked roll of paper in ones mouth and spewing out toxic gases in my general vicinity isn't the most appetizing thing to me ...and I'd like to see the government do something about it . Many smokers smoke in non-smoking sections etc. ...I'd like to see places kick them out (which won't happen unless the health department will fine/close down the place then it becomes more cost efficient to kick out smokers).

It doesn't matter if it's cold outside ...you shouldn't be smoking in an eating establishment and if you want to smoke that bad ...plant yourself outside.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2005-12-14, 07:37 PM in reply to Arkantis's post starting "I dont think the concern is for the..."
Arkantis said:
I dont think the concern is for the public so much as for the people working in the bars and resturants, if this was all about the public that would just be dumb. I feel bad for those people who do not smoke but have to work around nasty smoke all day, but its an occoupational hazzard.
If you clean skyscraper windows they dont take the windows off so that you dont risk falling even thow its not that big of a problem.
It's a completely AVOIDABLE occupational hazard ...we don't have people who create gravity for their own pleasure ...it's just something we HAVE to deal with like so many other things ...how about we remove smoking from the mix. That harmless little addiction costs billions in healthcare and lost work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2005-12-14, 07:37 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "That's a thought. They could make..."
Lenny said:
That's a thought.

They could make millions with those beers. Get people addicted and they'll never stop drinking.
I know plenty of people that are addicted to drinking and without nicotine :P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood