Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Whose Fish?
Posted 2005-10-08, 07:51 AM
This brainteaser, reportedly written by Einstein is difficult and Einstein said that 98% of the people in the world could not figure it out. Which percentage are you in?

Quote:
There are five houses in a row in different colors. In each house lives a person with a different nationality. The five owners drink a different drink, smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet, one of which is a Walleye Pike.

The question is-- who owns the fish?

Hints:
1. The Brit lives in the red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets.
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
5. The green house owner drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Malls keeps birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhills.
8. The man living in the house right in the center drinks milk.
9. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
10. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the one who smokes Dunhills.
12. The owner who smokes Bluemasters drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Princes.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbor who drinks water.
Edit: 
Got rid of the link as at the bottom of that page is a link to the answer. Wouldn't want anyone cheating now, would we?

Show your answer, when you get it, in the spoiler tag thing.

Last edited by Lenny; 2005-10-08 at 08:27 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-10-08, 10:32 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Whose Fish?"
For anyone that wants it, I drew up a truth matrix for this problem, which you can get here. For some browsers, you may need to save it before you can propperly view it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-10-08, 11:22 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Whose Fish?"
The german, Prince smoker, coffee drinker in the green house second from the right owns the fish

You know, they taught us how to solve these things in elementary school...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-10-08, 11:47 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "The german, Prince smoker, coffee..."
Funny, first time I saw these things was Junior year.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-10-08, 12:55 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Funny, first time I saw these things..."
I'd solve this but it's just a waste of my time. I don't see how only 98% of the world's population could solve this, it really isn't that hard...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-10-08, 04:01 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Funny, first time I saw these things..."
Don't know what to say, except it was part of the "gifted" curiculum
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2005-10-08, 06:26 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Don't know what to say, except it was..."
i found it easy. ive been doing stuff like this since year 8 @ school. its only hard when you havent learn how to solve these sort of things.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

PureRebel

Posted 2005-10-08, 09:36 PM in reply to PureRebel's post starting "i found it easy. ive been doing stuff..."
Its easy. All the information is there, you just have to work it out. They taught us this freshman year at our school too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-10-09, 12:30 AM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Its easy. All the information is there,..."
I remember doing these things in my AG class in like 2nd grade.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-10-11, 10:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I remember doing these things in my AG..."
How many people have tried doing this brainteaser?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-10-11, 02:29 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "How many people have tried doing this..."
I did..took me like 10 minutes to work everythning out, but I got it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2005-10-11, 03:38 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I did..took me like 10 minutes to work..."
Way too easy if you have a piece of paper and a pencil.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2005-10-12, 09:47 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Way too easy if you have a piece of..."
Why Einstein said only 2% of the world's population could do it we'll never know. Surely a lot more can.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-10-12, 11:02 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Why Einstein said only 2% of the..."
Perhaps in his time, people were not as well educated?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2005-10-12, 01:08 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Perhaps in his time, people were not as..."
Or maybe.. that 2% of the population has migrated to the internet forums, mainly this one.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-