Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II

Transfer save files to new computer?
Posted 2005-04-19, 02:56 PM
Hello,

This is my first post here, sorry if this is the wrong forum.

I just purchased a new computer (desktop). My old computer (laptop) has my Diablo II and expansion programs loaded. I have been playing Diablo II for many years but never on the web, only in single player mode versus the computer.

I loaded the game on my new computer and transferred the save folder in the Diabli II folder to my new computer. When I launch the game in the new computer I see no characters.

Am I allowed to transfer my characters? Did I leave out any files? Does the registry need to be tweaked? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kbs8014 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkbs8014 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kbs8014

Posted 2005-04-19, 03:00 PM in reply to kbs8014's post "Transfer save files to new computer?"
If you want to transfer characters, go to the save file that has them in it, and copy all the character files to a floppy or CD-RW, then take them to your new computer and copy them into the save folder, and you should be good to go.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Expired is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExpired is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Expired

Posted 2005-04-19, 03:04 PM in reply to kbs8014's post "Transfer save files to new computer?"
Well, use a char edit program to just recreate your guys. Be careful you dont download any trojans while trying to get it though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-04-20, 06:14 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Well, use a char edit program to just..."
www.ladderhall.com has a Hero Editor download on it's site, and it's clean.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Expired is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExpired is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Expired

Posted 2005-04-20, 08:30 AM in reply to kbs8014's post "Transfer save files to new computer?"
There's a folder that has your character saves and saved games. I'm on a school PC, and my home PC doesn't have it installed, but I'm.. fairly sure you can just copy all those files. Don't bother downloading any programs or anything.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-04-20, 02:43 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "There's a folder that has your..."
Medieval Bob said:
There's a folder that has your character saves and saved games. I'm on a school PC, and my home PC doesn't have it installed, but I'm.. fairly sure you can just copy all those files. Don't bother downloading any programs or anything.
Expired said:
If you want to transfer characters, go to the save file that has them in it, and copy all the character files to a floppy or CD-RW, then take them to your new computer and copy them into the save folder, and you should be good to go.
Thats pretty much what i said ^_<
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Expired

Posted 2005-04-20, 02:55 PM in reply to Expired's post starting "Thats pretty much what i said ^_<"
Firstly, I was saying to not do what people who replied to your post suggested.

Secondly, he knows how to transfer files. He said he already
Quote:
transferred the save folder in the Diabli II folder to my new computer.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-04-20, 03:48 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Firstly, I was saying to not do what..."
Have you made sure they are both on the same patch? If they are on different the character might not work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Expired

Posted 2005-04-25, 08:15 AM in reply to Expired's post starting "Have you made sure they are both on the..."
Expired said:
Have you made sure they are both on the same patch? If they are on different the character might not work.
Thanks for all of the replies...

They were not the same patch. My original discs are v1.07. Sometime over the years I upgraded the game to v1.09. I tried to upgrade my new computer to 1.09 and downloaded many 1.09 patches but none worked!?! I had heard about 1.10 and didn't want to upgrade to that patch but I felt like I had to. I finally made the switch to 1.10 and everything works now.

I'm not too happy with 1.10 since now my favorite character, a clvl 79 Barb isn't as strong as he used to be.

When I tried to upgrade to 1.09 I kept getting error messages. When I upgraded to 1.10 everything went smoothly.

Is anyone aware of 1.09 upgrade problems? I would rather stay with 1.09 and I am willing to uninstall/reinstall my game if I could get the 1.09 patch to load properly.

Any suggestions on the 1.09 patch is welcome.

Thanks,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kbs8014 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkbs8014 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kbs8014

Posted 2005-04-25, 10:42 AM in reply to kbs8014's post starting "Thanks for all of the replies... ..."
You can't play on battle.net unless you have the latest patch. (1.10). You CAN find third party servers, but Id be careful. SOme still ask for your cd keys to play. They can easily steal it. Oh, and if you deciede to play on one, DONT USE THE SAME PW AS YOUR REALM ONE.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-04-26, 11:50 PM in reply to kbs8014's post starting "Thanks for all of the replies... ..."
kbs8014 said:
Thanks for all of the replies...

They were not the same patch. My original discs are v1.07. Sometime over the years I upgraded the game to v1.09. I tried to upgrade my new computer to 1.09 and downloaded many 1.09 patches but none worked!?! I had heard about 1.10 and didn't want to upgrade to that patch but I felt like I had to. I finally made the switch to 1.10 and everything works now.

I'm not too happy with 1.10 since now my favorite character, a clvl 79 Barb isn't as strong as he used to be.

When I tried to upgrade to 1.09 I kept getting error messages. When I upgraded to 1.10 everything went smoothly.

Is anyone aware of 1.09 upgrade problems? I would rather stay with 1.09 and I am willing to uninstall/reinstall my game if I could get the 1.09 patch to load properly.

Any suggestions on the 1.09 patch is welcome.

Thanks,
There were *4* different "sub releases" of the 1.09 patch, so you'd first have to discover which version you had on your computer, versus what you could find online.

The most common 1.09 you'll find is 1.09d, which was the final 1.09 version.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2005-05-02, 03:40 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "There were *4* different "sub releases"..."
Vollstrecker said:
There were *4* different "sub releases" of the 1.09 patch, so you'd first have to discover which version you had on your computer, versus what you could find online.

The most common 1.09 you'll find is 1.09d, which was the final 1.09 version.

Will any of the 1.09 patches work with Windows XP? I think the operating system is the reason why I can't get the 1.09D to work. On the Blizzard site it mentions that 1.10 is compatible with Win XP.

Any thoughts...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kbs8014

Posted 2005-05-02, 10:45 PM in reply to kbs8014's post starting "Will any of the 1.09 patches work with..."
kbs8014 said:
Will any of the 1.09 patches work with Windows XP? I think the operating system is the reason why I can't get the 1.09D to work. On the Blizzard site it mentions that 1.10 is compatible with Win XP.

Any thoughts...
I played them all on XP, methinks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker