Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Music: Devin Townsend - Terria
Posted 2004-04-20, 04:00 AM
The mad scientist of metal has created a stunning work of art.

Artist: Devin Townsend
Album: Terria
Genre: Metal...to some extent...

Devin Townsend is one of the most respected and well-known members of the current global metal community. He is the frontman/madman genius behind the sonic onslaught of the band Strapping Young Lad. If you're a fan of metal, and you don't know who SYL is, you need to stop doing whatever it is that you're busy with at the moment and change that. SYL is one of the most brutally extreme metal bands to have emerged in the last ten years, and one listen to a song such as "All Hail The New Flesh" or "Devour" will solidify that notion for you.

After releasing two albums with SYL (Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing and City), Mr. Townsend suddenly found himself in the midst of a personal dilemma. Somehwere along the way he had lost something. Somehwere along the way, he lost whatever it is inside the human mind that makes them mentally capable of creating the kind of violent, torrential music that he created with Strapping Young Lad. He found himself in the core of a personal renaissance, and felt that SYL was no longer something he was capable of committing to for the time being.

So began his solo project. As of right now, Mr. Townsend has released five solo albums since SYL's second album, City. The process began with the experimental Ocean Machine, followed by Infinity, Physicist, Terria, and his most recent album Accelerated Evolution. In complete honesty, I have not heard his other four solo albums, but after experiencing Terria, I cannot wait to do so.

In all honesty, I don't know how to categorize this album. I picked it up on a whim, just wanting to test the waters, and I was blown away. Yes, there is a lot of metallic influence on this record, but at the same time, it is an absolutely beautiful soundscape. Devin himself has claimed it to be "heavy pop", but I don't think that the term "pop" gives this album nearly enough credit.

The album opens with the track "Olives", and it's just as weird as the title suggests. I was driving at night the first time I listened to it, and it skeeved me out so badly that I had to put something else in my stereo for a few minutes before continuing with the album. The second track, titled "Mountain" is a hauntingly melodic inspection of personal weaknesses. The third track, "Earth Day" is probably the most impressive offering on the album. Clocking in at nearly ten minutes, this song begins with an eerily beautiful verse, which proportionally ramps up into faster and faster sections, until hitting an incredibly powerful and majestic crescendo. The entire track is just a rollercoaster, settling down into softer areas and then bludgeoning you into submission seconds later.

The album continues it's progression with the amazing "Canada", building slowly into an incredible climax, paying homage to Townsend's country of birth. "The Fluke" pumps the tempo up significantly, actually reminding me of Type O Negative during their faster moments. Melodic and catchy, but still upbeat and heavy. "Nobody's Here" is another winner, with a melancholy refrain and some great examples of Townsend's harmonic vocal talents.

My favorite track on the album is actually the last track, entitled "Stagnant". The lyrics pay respects to the cycle of nature while mirroring some of Devin's personal thoughts. The entire song is incredibly melodic, slower paced, and just staggering to listen to. It's absolutely beautiful.

If I've got one complaint with this album, it's that some of the songs are too damned long. "Earth Day" and "The Fluke" are certainly two of the best tracks, but they're also two of the longest. It's sort of like the giant Neo vs. Many Smiths fight scene in Matrix: Reloaded. It's almost too much of a good thing.

All in all, the entire album is a winner. There's not a single weak or rushed track on the album. I do have my favorites, but there's not a single song I can honestly say I don't like. If you're looking for a completely new, wholly engrossing and monumentally enjoyable musical experience, pick up Terria as soon as possible.

And if you're from Canada (I'm looking at you, James and Senesia) it can't hurt to show your fellow man some support.

Score: 9.8

Recommended Downloads: "Stagnant", "Earth Day" and "Canada"

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-04-21 at 12:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel