Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Post Irobot (PDA)
Posted 2003-12-20, 11:43 PM
I dunno if anyone else has seen the commercial, or know about this, but check it :

http://www.irobotnow.com/index.php

It's a state of the art personal domestic assistant (android). Knows alot, responds to voices, etc. Can do just about anything you can (chore/task wise).

Sony's asimo and qrio can eat their hearts out.
What I've learned from living in this country : America is a bad word, so is Religion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Tai

Posted 2003-12-20, 11:50 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
whats the price on it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-12-20, 11:53 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
Fuck im guessing in teh dozens of thousands of dollars...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-12-20, 11:55 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
fuck...id just hire me a maid if it cost more than 5 grand, which it prolly does.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-12-21, 12:00 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
It probably costs as much as an expensive/fancy car or more lol. Super computers (let alone something that's not even on the market - positronic brain) cost alot lol. Im thinking companies, rich people, government things will be more interested in them until they get cheaper.
What I've learned from living in this country : America is a bad word, so is Religion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTai is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Tai

Posted 2003-12-21, 12:02 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
I agree with Jordan, I'd just get a Maid too...plus she can do things that even a machine can't do great and cheaper in price. But...I guess if you wait a while it'll be cheaper right? When they start mass producing it? Probably be the same as buying a new Dell.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind"
"Im about to overload my aggression inhibitors"

"It says....push any key...er um, which one is the 'any' key?"

"Knowledge is Power. Power--Leads to Corruption. So we all go to school to be Evil!"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
StarcraftGhost is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenStarcraftGhost is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

StarcraftGhost

Posted 2003-12-21, 12:05 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
O god that'll be the day when I have two or three C3PO's walking around the house doing my work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2003-12-21, 03:23 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
I'm pretty sure this is an advertisement for the new I Robot movie starring Will Smith.
Edit: I'm 100% certain now seeing the "3 Laws Safe" thing at the bottom. It was also on the thing I saw at the theater.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-21, 09:02 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
"Why robots?
Why cars? Why washing machines? Why hair dryers? These were all developed in order to "free" people from tasks that used up their precious free time. Think about how much more we accomplish with the internet. Think about how far we can travel in airplanes. Now think: what if you had a personal assistant that could do what you wanted, when you wanted, where you wanted 24 hours, 7 days a week? Freedom, that is why. With the NS-5, humankind will acheive incredible things."
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-12-21, 09:04 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
"The NS-5 is programmed to be the perfect domestic assistant. We developed proprietary software for a number of various functions, almost too many to name, but for example, the NS-5 has a cooking program with 2500 recipes from the best chefs around the world. It will be able to prepare your favourite meal and will even gather the ingredients required!"
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-12-21, 09:08 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
"I can hardly turn on a computer. Will I be able to operate an NS-5?

The NS-5 and the Nestor series of robots was devised and generated specifically for the average user. It will receive updates wirelessly when they are available and there is no need for the end user to have any technical knowledge."

You know what scares me? What if someone could transmit "bad" update signals to it and get the robot to destroy your home and possibly kill you, or even worse, to let the hacker(s) command ALL NS-5 robots and let them do their bidding.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2003-12-21, 09:18 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
I don't think AI is that advanced... Here's the question one of the professors in the AI department of robitics posed at UTA.

If you (the user) tell a robot to move all the chairs to the back of the room, how will it know what to move? What makes a chair a chair?

If the programmer were to give the dimensions of a chair, that would be imprecise and usually inaccurate as there are many different sizes of chairs.

If the programmer were to give the physical structure of the chair, that would only be accurate sometimes. From where I am sitting, I can see four different types of chairs.
-I see two chairs with one leg branching into four with arm-rests.
-I see one chair the same as the previous but without arm-rests.
-I see four chairs with four legs and no arm rests.
-I see two chairs with arm rests and no legs (recliners).
(Also, in the next room is a chair with two curved legs)

If the programmer were to give the practical use of a chair, that would be innacurate.
Example: A chair has a flat surface for a human to sit on.
By this definition, a table would also be a chair, as would a bookshelf.
Example: A chair is something that humans sit on.
By this definition, the ground would be a chair, as would a bed.

How would someone make a machine that could definitely know what a chair is? After you think about this question, realize how simple of a problem this is compared to some of the others.

How difficult is it for the average person to know what a chair is?
How difficult is it for the average person to know what is the morally correct thing to do in all situations?
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-12-21, 11:11 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
It's totally fake... however, Honda made a real one.

http://asimo.honda.com/inside_asimo_movies.asp

EDIT: And if it were real, I'm sure it would cost in the millions.

Last edited by Xenn; 2003-12-21 at 11:14 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2003-12-21, 11:31 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
Asimo is old xenn, they've already made an improved version called Qrio. And, I've known about alot of the technology in this NS-5 for several years, they must of gotten it right apparently. I think if it is real, it's a testimate to what people can do if they take all the available technology and put it together. People, don't really do that. If we put all the technology we had into cars we'd probably have flying hover cars able to go around the world in a few hours and go in any direction and any speed, heck probably able to go into space.

I dunno if it is real or not, but I do remember seeing that commercial for it on NBC primetime. During a commercial break of dateline.

The muscles I believe were started more then 5 years ago, the original ones were large metal bands that contracted magnetically when given electricity - the military was working on them for machines and stuff, and I guess they found a better way to work them into weaved fibers (which is what that looks like). The other parts we already have, the only thing that's really special is that super computer for a brain. Go nanotech if its real.

The brain is iffy though, the best super computers ibm and stuff haven't even gotten to that point yet... I'm pretty sure they can do all the other parts except the brain, if its not real, it's either a terrible prank or a movie.

Last edited by Tai; 2003-12-21 at 11:36 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tai

Posted 2003-12-21, 01:53 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
They say it's smarter than most PhD graduates... there's no way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2003-12-21, 05:42 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
RoboticSilence said:
I'm pretty sure this is an advertisement for the new I Robot movie starring Will Smith.
Edit: I'm 100% certain now seeing the "3 Laws Safe" thing at the bottom. It was also on the thing I saw at the theater.
Hello? Why is there still discussion about this thing being real?

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-21, 11:30 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
mjordan2nd said:
fuck...id just hire me a maid if it cost more than 5 grand, which it prolly does.
I'd just go to a third world country and kidnap a child and make him/her my slave worker for free.

Actually, i'd just go to africa (cuz i'm such a racist bastard) and get me a moniggerkey and make it work, it'd be hard cuz ITS SO LAZY D

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2003-12-21, 11:56 PM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
Will you stop trying to pimp the fact that you are a racist? Your one flaw is assuming that we care.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-12-22, 07:26 AM in reply to Tai's post "Irobot (PDA)"
D3V said:
mjordan2nd said:
I'd just go to a third world country and kidnap a child and make him/her my slave worker for free.

Actually, i'd just go to africa (cuz i'm such a racist bastard) and get me a moniggerkey and make it work, it'd be hard cuz ITS SO LAZY D
Yeah, it would also have hard time following oders from such an ignorant biggot boss...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez