Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Obvious(ity)
Posted 2003-01-26, 02:43 AM
There are those who talk about war, and there are those who talk about peace. Then there are those who talk about how useless arguments really are, as they will never end. And maybe they are right?

Now, humans are said to be intelligent, and intelligence does include the ability to learn new things. Sure, we have accomplished some great things during the last 50 years, but is the modern medication really improving our lifestyle? Just because we live longer, does it really mean our omniscience has improved? No, we keep arguing about even the silliest things just because it's human. Our genes have not improved that much for the last 100,000 years as they should have. Just like monkeys, we can be stressed once we live in great flocks, but we also co-operate if it becomes neccesary. We try to excel at the expense of others, and we waste extra money on a regular basis that could save lives in Africa daily.

But that's life, and there's not a thing you, nor technology can do about it.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-01-26, 02:53 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
You calling me a Monkey?!?!?!? LoL jk

Hmm, seems to me they waist a lot of that money on NASA, they spend millions of dollars to go and circulate earth. Why? Just to take some photos. I think the money wasted on that should go towards more affective things like. The cure for HIV, or like chruser says. The people in Africa, Helping the Homeless more (Dedicating most of that money to a program that will help the homeless straighten there priorities, and getting them fit for jobs would be nice.) Or even women in distress.

-X
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-01-26, 06:16 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
Honestly, who cares about Africans after all? Obviously we don't. Rich companies, especially those dealing with the oil industry pretty much buy the countries and get them to work for cheap, emptying their country of valuable resources. If they didn't do this, they wouldn't be poor, but we've pretty much blocked off the trades with a lot of countries.

WE make them poor to take advantage of them and benefit from them. While it sounds like a terrible thing that one child dies from starvation every time you take a breath, how many of you keep this murder in your mind all the time? Clearly not as often as you could.

But what's most important to you, the lives of thousands of strangers that will not accomplish anything in life, or to have 30% lower taxes than what you could have? While you would all most likely say that the lives of humans are most important, think about it for yourself. Would you really want to be very poor, have rags for clothes, not be able to have a car, get no education, all for the lives of a thousand complete strangers with no education anyway?

My point is: YOU are ruining their lives already, and all you do is to donate a few coins every now and then to feel good about saving lives. But honestly, if you kill a 100 people and manage to save the life of one, is that really something to feel good for?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-01-26, 06:31 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
Speaking of NASA and space, do you know how much of the sky we actually monitor for asteroids, potentially large enough to end all life on earth? Just take a guess. 90%? 40%?

In fact, we monitor LESS THAN 1% of the skies for asteroid threads, which are actually a great factor to end human life. Now, the costs for monitoring the entire sky would easily hit billion dollar figuers per year, but take a look at this instead:

"The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) has estimated the cost of "prosecuting" a war against Iraq at up to $9 billion per month, on top of an initial outlay of up to $13 billion for the deployment of troops to the Persian Gulf region."

If people could stop pumping resources into nuclear weapons and peace resolutions, we could actually be safe from something far more dangerous than nuclear weapons. So why don't we? As a native American Indian chief once said; "Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught, man will realize he cannot eat money."

You're heard it before, and I'll say it again. We're killing ourselves slowly, and we're enjoying every moment of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2003-01-26, 06:36 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
i couldent agree more. even more with the Native coment i agree even more! its soooo true!

but! if your anything like me, you just try not to think about it, cues you know what! nothing will be done about it till its to late! i just hope its not in my lifetime!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kidagakash is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKidagakash is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kidagakash

Posted 2003-01-26, 10:07 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
I don't believe its to late. We could stop at any time and begin to fix these problems, but we wont. We seem to love money more then life itself. We drain all these resources and accomplish absolutely nothing, and I would say everyone is to blame for this, I myself is the blame for this, you, Chruser, and just about the rest of the world. Ever go to a store and see an old man there, with mangle hair, ripped cloths, and ask you one question with shame in his eye? "Chould you spare some changes?" What do most of us do? Im sure you brushed him away before.

Not that you giving him money is going to fix things, he'll more then likely just buy some more alcohol, but would if we had a place that we can give that same amount of money to, but that place would help them and get them off the streets, hats just one of our many problems.

Im not sure where you live, but here in South Florida, I live next to a Jewish community, and boy do they get whatever they want. At all the county comities they seemed to be favored the most. We spend money on adding a 8 foot wall around there community, or placing another traffic light 15 feet away from one that they already had built, just because it wasn't close enough to the Jewish temple. Dont get me wrong I have absolutely nothing wrong with the Jewish, but it seems to me we could be pouring that money spent into something more useful to the County and not just there communities.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-02-06, 07:13 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
Human life is what you make of it. Granted, some people have it harder than others, but it all originated from somewhere. The cause of all these hardships isn't the result of the people that live today and "help make them poor to take advantage of them and benefit from them."

Obviously, everything has a root cause. If not, how would one thing lead to another? These people in Africa are the result of shit-ass, lazy ancestors. Think about it, at one time Black people were slaves. They got dealt a shitty hand in life to start with, and look what happened. They now have all the rights (Legally, that is) as anyone else (in America that is), and all the opportunities in the world to flourish in life.

They made a stand, and made a change in their lives.

Back on topic: African's now were dealt a shitty hand as well way back when, but they did nothing about it to help change their present lives. They took what they had and dealt with it. They didn't try to stay up to date with the rest of the world. They felt strongly enough to keep the beliefs of their ancestors, and as it turns out, it was the wrong choice to be made.

There is a thing called Survival of the Fittest. If their decision meant that one of them dies with every breathe someone takes, then so be it. People that start out life in poverty are NOT stricken to that lifestyle forever. They can work their ass off, take out loans, get an education, stay dedicated, search relentlessly for a job and turn it all around for their children, and their children's children. Next thing you know, a few generations down the line, their family name went from one polar to the other end.

Life is what you make of it. Actions of people in modern day only add the fuel. Some of those actions may make it harder for others to achieve their goals, some may not. It all relates to with the hand you were dealt in life....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-02-27, 09:32 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Obvious(ity)"
Crusher is right... the poor are always taken advantage of... and the resources are being taken away, but the Earth as we know it, is running out of resourses... evenutally, we will run out of things like water, or trees... our water is polluated, the ozone is wearing away... we are wasting our resourses everyday... while rich people are spending money on things they will probally only use 5 times, there's someone out there that needs money to buy food, or something needed to survive in this curel world...
the oil supplie is running low, thats why we have to import it. even the water, at some point will be so polluated that we cant even filter it. things like factories are creating mass polluation in the air, which we breathe, which is bad for us, and all of that stuff goes in us, and comes out... then trees breathe our carbon dioxide, which is bad for them, because they obsorb some of that stuff, then it create oxygen with some of the stuff which will loop...
since companys such as NASA are wasting money on space shuttle explorations of what they already explored, our population will die out at a greater and faster rate every passing year, because of all of the waste and criminals...

by the by, Survival Of The Fittest was done by the that guy Darwin... just to let you know, by the way... again... we all may be doomed...
I'mA FrEaKiNg PsYcHo!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HaPpIdUdE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHaPpIdUdE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

HaPpIdUdE