Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Posted 2005-11-07, 11:09 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Translation: I have no interest in..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Translation:

I have no interest in reading this, but I don't want to offend you so I'll say thanks anyway.
I actually am going to check the book out, KA, but even if I did not, it wouldn't be like I said anything wrong by my above statement. I said I would check out the link -- I did. The book looked interesting, so when I get the chance, I will read it. I have no reason or desire to suck up to people on the internet. If I didn't want to read it I would have said so straight up.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2005-11-07 at 11:12 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-08, 11:39 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Why do you say that?"
mjordan2nd said:
Why do you say that?
Because heavy-handed across-the-board equality is an absurd notion. It's perfectly acceptable to present everyone with equal opportunities. That's what we're 'attempting' to do in America with Affirmative Action. The flaw is our biased implementation. Affirmative Action should be applied to everyone if it's going to be useful and not only to certain races.

If you're simply going to give equal circumstances to everyone (not just opportunities), then there's no motivation to contribute to the society that you're a part of. Theoretically, whatever you do, you'll receive the same benefits of any other member of the culture.

Inequality is what pushes us to further heights--to work and improve.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-11-08, 01:47 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Because heavy-handed across-the-board..."
Medieval Bob said:
Because heavy-handed across-the-board equality is an absurd notion. It's perfectly acceptable to present everyone with equal opportunities. That's what we're 'attempting' to do in America with Affirmative Action. The flaw is our biased implementation. Affirmative Action should be applied to everyone if it's going to be useful and not only to certain races.

If you're simply going to give equal circumstances to everyone (not just opportunities), then there's no motivation to contribute to the society that you're a part of. Theoretically, whatever you do, you'll receive the same benefits of any other member of the culture.
There's not a monetary motivation to contribute to society. Who says that is the only thing that can motivate people?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-08, 02:05 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "There's not a monetary motivation to..."
Who's just talking about currency? You said equality. You didn't say monetary equality. Give me an example of a motivation that doesn't involve inequality in one form or another.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-11-08, 02:32 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Who's just talking about currency? You..."
Medieval Bob said:
Who's just talking about currency? You said equality. You didn't say monetary equality. Give me an example of a motivation that doesn't involve inequality in one form or another.
How about self-satisfaction?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-08, 02:44 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "How about self-satisfaction?"
You've got to be kidding. If I could pay the bills and eat and such without having to actually work, I would just stay home all day and play video games and watch TV and shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-11-08, 02:50 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You've got to be kidding. If I could..."
!King_Amazon! said:
You've got to be kidding. If I could pay the bills and eat and such without having to actually work, I would just stay home all day and play video games and watch TV and shit.
Yea, but you've been born and brought up in a culture where money is the ultimate motivating factor. Is it not possible that there are other ways to motivate people, or do you believe that our way is absolute, and nothing else is possible?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-11-08, 02:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You've got to be kidding. If I could..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Only because those are fetishes of a capitalist society. You simply cannot make comparisons. In our society we earn money so we can have free time to dick around and eat pizza and play video games. You get fulfillment from that because it is what is defined as leisure and you feel that if you could get it for free it would be equally good, and it would be amazing to be able to do that all day. In a capitalist society, you are correct, if you were handed money you'd sit around all day dicking off. However, you cannot frame a true communism the same way.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2005-11-08, 03:00 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "There's not a monetary motivation to..."
mjordan2nd said:
There's not a monetary motivation to contribute to society. Who says that is the only thing that can motivate people?
He gets the point.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2005-11-08, 03:08 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Yea, but you've been born and brought..."
mjordan2nd said:
Yea, but you've been born and brought up in a culture where money is the ultimate motivating factor. Is it not possible that there are other ways to motivate people, or do you believe that our way is absolute, and nothing else is possible?
I believe it is ANIMAL nature to want to be the best. How many animals out there, who have no "concept" of capitalism, strive to be the "leader of the pack"? You have to change the way humans are wired, and since we are animals.

I'm not saying it's not "ideal". I'm just saying human nature says it's not feasible.

BTW, thanks PB for the amusing discussion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2005-11-08, 05:53 PM in reply to khwiii's post starting "I believe it is ANIMAL nature to want..."
That holds true for some of the population. I wouldn't go anywhere near saying most. Lots of people are just content to follow, and if you're content to follow and have no gain (disregard self-satisfaction for the moment) to show for hard work, there's no way you're going to put forth your maximum level of effort.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-11-08, 05:54 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "How about self-satisfaction?"
mjordan2nd said:
How about self-satisfaction?
And to address self-satisfaction:
For this to even be a possibility for the majority of the population, there would have to be other influences. For instance, if everyone thought they would gain the favor of (not literal favors--just favorable opinion) someone they wanted (for instance: the leader of a theocracy or perhaps even just a loved one). Unfortunately, unless the ruler is actually a god, I don't think the any present-day population could live under a theocracy.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2005-11-08, 09:44 PM in reply to khwiii's post starting "I believe it is ANIMAL nature to want..."
khwiii said:
BTW, thanks PB for the amusing discussion.
No problem. It's enjoyable for me as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Penny_Bags

Posted 2005-11-08, 09:44 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "No problem. It's enjoyable for me as..."
Bottom Line: Marx was trippy shit!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Penny_Bags