Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Life Discussion

Anyone screwed over with student loans?
Posted 2008-10-17, 07:54 PM
Im taking a loan out for approx 50k for art school in january (3d animation). This covers tuition and living expenses for the 1 year intensive course. Its a really good school apparently - but im still nervous about the year ending, being 25 years old, jobless and my life being screwed from debt.

Everyone is encouraging me saying its an investment in my future, but im still nervous about it.
Anyone had any experiences, or words of wisdom?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RigundaRaxcag is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRigundaRaxcag is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RigundaRaxcag

Posted 2008-10-17, 08:53 PM in reply to RigundaRaxcag's post "Anyone screwed over with student loans?"
Why are you a bot?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-10-18, 01:58 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why are you a bot?"
A self aware bot with personal problems and seeking advice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2008-10-18, 03:48 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why are you a bot?"
Chruser said: [Goto]
Why are you a bot?
Why not?

Let the damn computer model. He does all the work anyway what with rendering and whatnot. Lol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-10-18, 04:51 PM in reply to RigundaRaxcag's post "Anyone screwed over with student loans?"
Whether he be bot or not, the issue of student loans is one we discussed on my corridor a week ago, and how we'll leave Uni (after a standard three-year degree) with debts of only around £20,000 ($34,634), whilst people who go into Higher Education in America leave with debts much higher.

Even if it leaves you twenty grand worse off, it's a good investment into ones future, and if you go into the right career (I've been told that your job prospects after Durham are fantastic - the average starting salary for people with Comp Sci degrees at Durham is £30,000) then it's an investment you can pay off in about a decade. But when the investment is the better part of $100,000, well, is it truly worth it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-10-18, 04:58 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Why are you a bot?"
Chruser said: [Goto]
Why are you a bot?
WW got a new handle?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
FatIonSurged is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenFatIonSurged is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

FatIonSurged

Posted 2008-10-19, 10:52 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Whether he be bot or not, the issue of..."
Education costs have been beating inflation nicely. I'm getting a degree (accounting) that doesn't require a super renowned school, so it's a cheaper program. Lenny, one thing is, the standard here is a 4-year degree. Yours would be cheap even by year 3 at our universities, but we still have another year on there. Another is, wealth redistribution. It's a growing trend to increase tuition and give more scholarships and fin aid for "less fortunate" people. If you're poor, the U.S. is a great place to goto school. If you're rich, it's a good place to goto school. If you're middle class, it's a relatively expensive place to goto school. You're expected to invest 40% of your after tax income (or at least my parents are) in your child's education.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-10-19, 11:10 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Education costs have been beating..."
Is it an accredited accounting degree
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-10-19, 11:12 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Is it an accredited accounting degree"
Yep. That's why all the major firms recruit from my school. There are -tons- of accredited schools.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-10-19, 11:16 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yep. That's why all the major firms..."
I thought there were just a dozen or so US schools with accredited accounting degrees or am I thinking of something else
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-10-19, 04:54 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Education costs have been beating..."
So I take it that, unless you're poor, you pay for most schools in America?

And what type of degree do most people leave with, then? A three-year over here gets us our Bachelors, whilst a four year gets us a Masters. Another three years is a PhD and lets us put Dr. in front of our names.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-10-19, 05:16 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "So I take it that, unless you're poor,..."
Generally:
4 years Bachelor
+1-2 years Master
+3-5 years PhD
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2008-10-20, 05:47 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "I thought there were just a dozen or so..."
You're thinking something else. Unless it's some weird accredation that's only applied to ivy league b-schools.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-10-20, 06:00 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "You're thinking something else. Unless..."
After some googlage, AACSB is probably what I was thinking of. Someone told me about it a long time ago, guess I wasn't really listening. Haha.

Last edited by Grav; 2008-10-20 at 06:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav