Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK
Posted 2002-11-10, 12:49 AM
For those of you who have got your grubby mits on a copy of the Alph Demo, here's a few commands to get you going....

First off...you do not need to use the command: exec runact.cfg . It's not necessary cos there's no use in having to wait for five minutes every time you load the game.

New instructions to get up and running (basic solution, for tweaks see further down the page) :

After you unrar, just go to the Doom_III\base directory, and DELETE the DoomConfig.cfg file. Then launch doom.exe.
The game will rebuild that config file and give you better default settings.

To interact with the game at this point, you'll be using the console. Press the tilde key (~) once you're at the main
screen.

INDEX:

-Loading Maps
-Controls and settings
-Popular Commands
-Recording demos
-Making a demo into an avi
-Cheats / Hints

Loading maps

>From the console, use the following commands:

map e3/intro (Loads intro movie)
map e3/e3_1 (Loads first map)
map e3/e3_2 (Loads second map)
map e3/e3_3 (Loads third map)
map fred/e3bathroom5 (doesn't work for most people)

Controls and settings

Type: bindlist

This will list all the currently bound keys and their functions. Use the page up and page
down keys to scroll through the list. As long as you deleted the doomconfig.cfg before you started up, your settings
should be pretty good.

To change any of these settings, you can either type in different values from the console, or just manually change
the doomconfig.cfg with a text editor.

Popular commands

Checking FPS: type com_drawfps 1

Bump Mapping on/off (try switching back and forth, you'll see the changes):

r_useStandardGL 0 (this turns bump mapping ON)
r_useStandardGL 1 (this turns bump mapping OFF)
Dynamic shadows on/off (BIG performance difference):

r_shadows 1
r_shadows 0
Changing resolution:

r_mode 1 (400x300)
r_mode 2 (512x384)
r_mode 3 (640x480)
r_mode 4 (800x600)
r_mode 5 (1024x768)
r_mode 6 (1152x864)
r_mode 7 (1280x1024)
NOTE: Changing resolution will not take effect until you either restart the game, or type vid_restart

Changing bit depth:

r_colorbits 16
r_colorbits 32
Fullscreen on/off:

r_fullscreen 1
r_fullscreen 0
Mouse Sensitivity:

sensitivity X
Where X is a number between 1 and 10. The default is 5....you can actually go higher than 10, but it gets kind of
ridiculous.

Third Person view:

pm_thirdperson 0
pm_thirdperson 1

Recording demos

I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet, so I figured I'd draw up a quick how-to.

Type the following:

bind F5 recordDemo
bind F6 stoprecording

These two binds will give you keys for starting and stopping a demo, respectively. You can substitute in the keys you prefer,
it doesn't matter. In this case, when you want to start
capturing the action in the game, press F5. When you're done, press F6.

The demo files are stored in your Doom_III\base\demos folder. They will be labelled incrementally, e.g.Demo001.demo, demo002.demo, etc. To play back your demo within the
game, type playdemo demo001 (or whatever the demo filename happens to be).

However, to get your demo into a movie format, there's a few extra steps.

Making a demo into an avi

After you've got a good demo, type aviDemo (for example, aviDemo demo001). This will play back your demo while
taking a whole bunch of screenshots. When it's done,
exit the game and look in your "Doom_III\base\demos\demoname" folder. Depending upon how
long your demo was, you could have anywhere from 100mb to 10 gigs of .tga files.

Download this program and run it: http://www.css.tayloru.edu/~btoll/f9.../pjBmp2Avi.zip

>From the program's main screen, in the Directory field, type in the path to your demo's
screenshots folder. (The "Doom_III\base\demos\demoname" I described above). A quicker way
is to click the "..." button and just browse to the directory.

Change the file option from BMP to TGA. You should then see a list of all the screenshots appear in the "Files" field.

Under "Output" options, type the path and name of the avi you wish to create (e.g., "C:\movies\doom3rocks.avi")

Leave the default Frame and Key Rates (if any of you movie experts suggest a better setting, let me know).

Click the create button. A new window will pop up, prompting you to select a video codec. I suggest you use Divx 5.0.2
. After you click OK, the program will compile your .tga files
together.

After the window closes, you're done! Go to the target directory you specified, and watch your first Doom 3 movie

Cheats / Hints
The keycode for the pad in level 2 is "924"

The codes from Q3 are still in the game at this point, but if for some reason you aren't
familiar with them, here's a quick list (again, these are typed from the console):

God mode: god
Extra health: give health
Weapons: give weapon_weaponname (e.g. rocket launcher, plasmagun...some of these will crash)
Fly through walls: noclip

--------------------------------------------------------------

Finaly... I will not be held responsible for any damage the above info does to any
part of your computer system if you choose to try them out, especially when you've got
your hands on a leaked alpha demo... Other than that...ENJOY
"only the dead have seen the end of war"....Plato

Last edited by mozza; 2002-11-10 at 01:00 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mozza is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmozza is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mozza

Posted 2002-11-10, 12:58 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
Great job man, that should really help, I hated playing in the default resolution, and the demo record and the steps to turn into an avi is excellent.
*puts you on the goodboy list for xmas*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2002-11-10, 01:57 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
Quote:
Originally posted by Sum Yung Guy
Great job man, that should really help, I hated playing in the default resolution, and the demo record and the steps to turn into an avi is excellent.
*puts you on the goodboy list for xmas*
My thoughts exactly!

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2002-11-11, 02:03 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
*stickied*
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2002-11-17, 05:21 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
THX man now it works much smoother
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vidar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenVidar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Vidar

Posted 2002-11-17, 10:30 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
me got to get demo and try this out
.....Broke the rubba, busted another all up in ya motha, so how u feel like havin another baby brotha? Wha? dont studda, ya pants hangin so low ya new baby brotha can be ya new lova!......
My Personal Website!
www.dimensionforums.com
ÖWÑëÐ
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"

Posted 2002-11-29, 10:05 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
dude, there are MANY new patches out, get em, or die
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
dextrose is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendextrose is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

dextrose

Posted 2002-11-29, 10:28 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
show me patches for an unreleased leaked game... i dont think they would support it by patching it... but if you say so show me links to the patches
So this baby seal walks into a club.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2002-11-30, 10:16 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
ok
here it is
and i never said released, but if i would have to use a word, ide say leaked :P

http://doom3.gamingrealm.net/downlo...ha_multifix.rar
brought to you by www.gamingrealm.net

this zip file includes
-a few new maps
-map editor
-information on how to make a doom 3 multiplayer server
-many different fixes that affect different aspects of the game

there is also a 120 meg patch floating around that fixes the menu and many other things, i was unfortunately not able to find it as of yet

Last edited by dextrose; 2002-11-30 at 10:28 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
dextrose is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweendextrose is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

dextrose

Posted 2002-12-04, 05:18 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
oooh kewl kewl, im gonna get that stuff including doom 3 this weekend i think. kazaa is super slow to get it from, everybody who has it has slow upload.
So this baby seal walks into a club.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2003-03-14, 01:31 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
That's bc Kazaa blows. mIrc a hell of alot faster
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
brachjones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenbrachjones is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

brachjones

Posted 2003-03-20, 10:38 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
Ok where do I go to get the actual game???
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Doofus_AW enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDoofus_AW enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Doofus_AW

Posted 2003-03-23, 02:03 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
hmmm....it's interesting that guy knows so much about the leak....i wonder if he works for id...
Sic Luceat Lux
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Czar Zelaron is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCzar Zelaron is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Czar Zelaron

Posted 2003-04-20, 01:47 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
It's a scam. It's all a scam.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-04-20, 04:28 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.

Last edited by Shinto Katana; 2003-04-20 at 08:11 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights

Posted 2003-04-20, 02:26 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
LIES. ALL LIES.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-06-19, 03:00 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
Before i download the leak can someone tell me what you need to play doom3?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
proto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenproto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

proto

Posted 2003-07-26, 02:36 PM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
I did what you said to make the demo work but when i load it i get a gray screen that blinks. whats up with that
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
SlipknotRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSlipknotRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

SlipknotRaziel

Posted 2003-08-23, 02:31 AM in reply to mozza's post "This'll Help U Get Doom Running OK"
I get the same thing as SlipKnot Raz my demo used to work and then it started doing what his is please help me E Mail Neo993@aol.com
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hulk02 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHulk02 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hulk02