Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Cry New Laptop
Posted 2007-08-19, 02:11 AM
Well, this past Friday after work I finally did the deed and bought myself a new laptop, and I must say, I'm pleased so far

I didn't really want to spend over 500, because I figued all I would be using my laptop for is school and other various little things (like listening to music and maybe even a DVD here or there...but nothing more) so I shopped around for a while, and eventually stumbled onto my Toshiba Satellite A215-S4807 .. Great laptop

Specs:

160Gb HD (Plenty of damn room for just about anything I'll ever need.
2Gigs of RAM DDR2 , hell yeah, more than my Desktop at home :0
AMD Turon 64X2 @ 1.8ghz.. another higher spec than my current desktop.
15.4 BEAUTIFUL widescreen monitor..
Great spekers, I watched "I think I love my Wife" earlier for about 20 minutes and it was fantastic..

The video processing is very fast, Burning DVD+CD's will be a sinch since the writer is up to date with most desktops on the market, it's very well designed sleek, looks great I love it..

$699 before Tax, along with a wireless mouse package = $781... A bit more than I had WANTED to spend, but i'm getting over it pretty fast.

I can play Counter Strike : CZ at 60fps Solid, so gaming isn't out of the picture either.

Oh, and it's got a 12in1 media reader, Go Toshiba!!

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-08-19, 08:15 AM in reply to D3V's post "New Laptop"
Seems like a good deal. If anyone else is in the market for a laptop Dell small business has a pretty good offer going on right now. XP Home or Vista Home Basic options available
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-08-19, 10:38 AM in reply to D3V's post "New Laptop"
Man, that's a really good deal.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-08-19, 10:43 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Man, that's a really good deal."
That is a pretty good deal. I wish I had some money to spare and get one, but my desktop should be good for another few years before I need to upgrade or get another computer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-08-19, 02:47 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "That is a pretty good deal. I wish I..."
Yeah I couldn't pass it up, shit, the other day online Circuit city had basically the same specs, but an Acer for 599, even though it sold out within an hour,I refreshed it after my break at work and it was gone, pretty hilairious...

But yeah it's all I really need for a while and i'm definately happy with it. And definately recommend it to anybody who is in the market, even with Vista it has no delays other than the 50 updates you get soon as you boot up for the first time, but after that and McAfee doing what it needs to there isn't anythign wrong with it.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-28, 10:35 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah I couldn't pass it up, shit, the..."
Just a little update on this laptop.

Performance notes: This laptop is great while using Windows components, anything network related, browsing through pictures, watching movies, burning CDs, whatever the case may be this computer is great at using Windows features. Now, where it is lacking is performance.

World of Warcraft can be run at almost Full Settings with no problems, just a few glitches here and there when Video rendering becomes more harsh.

Counter Strike: Source ran at minimal settings along with everything turned down runs pretty inefficiently. The game lags behind, and when it has to render new players, it basically crawls into a hole and dies. It's harsh to play Source with this laptop as there are too many things going on at the same time to get good fps.

BEFORE I turned off SuperFetch I was running a sustained 11fps in regular running with no players around, and about 7-9fps in a group, 5-6 in a group of people. This remind you, is at minimal video settings, sound settings turned all the way down, etc. I decided to finally get around to making this game run more efficiently, which I then decided to fully disable SuperFetch.

GREAT DECISION!

Literally, the notice was almost night and day. I'm now running a good 30fps during fights, 40-50 while running around, and the game is running at a very superior pace. I'm very happy with this move.

I'm also now contemplating on getting a nice 2gig flash drive and using ReadyBoost to try and enhance my performance, which I will in turn let you guys know about.

Also, Team Fortress 2 is running excellently, and WoW is absloutely lag-free. (Mind you, this laptop has great specs, Vista still takes up a good amount of resources, but not NEAR as many)

I'm very happy with SuperFetch being turned off, I'm sure the feature is great, but I have literally noticed NO decline in performance on Windows applications, burning CDs is just as fast, if not slightly faster.

So for now, I am once again happy with my laptop which I was starting to turn on.

I'll update once I try out and compare ReadyBoost.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-03-28, 10:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Just a little update on this laptop. ..."
WIrelessness? Sounds like a great machine

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-05-14, 10:48 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "WIrelessness? Sounds like a great..."
Yes, and it's still running greatly. My McAfee has run out though, so it's down to Windows Defender (I'm a cheap bastard) - Then again I'm really the only person that uses my computer so security threats aren't that big of a deal because I am a Nazi about downloads onto it.

I'm considering possible upgrades that I can get for this machine, other than running the ReadyBoost there isn't too much I can get, but i'll definately toss an update if and when I do decide to change any hardware out.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-05-14, 02:40 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yes, and it's still running greatly. My..."
I'm getting a new laptop this summer prob for 1100. My current one has gotten so slow (somehow without me doing anything on it and no viruses) that it takes an hour to even bring up the start menu. I don't even use it anymore and mooch off of my parents' computers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-14, 02:44 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "I'm getting a new laptop this summer..."
Hell yeah, if you need any help shopping there are plenty of us on here that would be more than willing to help out and advise you, if you wish for some help of course.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-05-14, 02:49 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Hell yeah, if you need any help..."
k, when the time comes I'll know who to ask for
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow