Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II

Best armor for a merc
Posted 2004-07-26, 11:37 AM
I'm talking about an A2 merc, but I don't really see what difference it makes (though I've never used any other mercs since my noob days).

I almost had a Levi (196%ed, +146 def, +50 str, 25% DR) with a rare jewel in it that had -15req, 28%ed and... low fire res I think for my merc, but I got IP banned during the trade.

My ideal setup for a merc would be perf Levi with a +18 max, 30%ed, resall10, +10 min, -15req rare jewel, perf CoA (for DR) with a pair of those jewels (sub the -15req for 7% Faster Hit Recovery or maybe +4 Replenish Life) or perf andy's visage (for life leech and ias) with one of those jewels, and a perfect, eth bonehew with 2 amns.

Anybody got a better reccomendation?

Er... also, could someone change the title of this to Best Setup for a Merc instead of Armor? I didn't even think about the others 'till I started typing.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?

Last edited by Medieval Bob; 2004-07-26 at 11:47 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-07-26, 11:38 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Best armor for a merc"
That sounds pretty good to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-07-26, 11:41 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "That sounds pretty good to me."
Levi is best for any melee character that i can think of.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2004-07-26, 11:47 AM in reply to Ganga's post starting "Levi is best for any melee character..."
Well, my merc wears levi, and andy's too. But I have him wearing some other weapon besides bonehew because bonehew does less damage.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
badboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenbadboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

badboy

Posted 2004-07-26, 11:48 AM in reply to badboy's post starting "Well, my merc wears levi, and andy's..."
Bonehew does less damage than What?

Also, since nobody will probably ever find one of those jewels, what runes, or gems, or more common jewels would you reccomend putting in the armor and helm? (Amns stay in bonehew to keep the merc alive unless someone has a much better suggestion.)
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-07-26, 01:22 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Bonehew does less damage than What? ..."
On my mercy he uses an Eth Stone, and an Eth Thresher "cresent Moon" i used to have a gaze for him but i seem to have mis placed it...hmmm? but thats my set up and once he is lvl 84 he will be usin a 3Skt Cryptic Axe Tomb Reaver with AmnAmnAmn...
~"In The Eye!!"~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JestinDeCourts is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJestinDeCourts is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JestinDeCourts

Posted 2004-07-26, 01:31 PM in reply to JestinDeCourts's post starting "On my mercy he uses an Eth Stone, and..."
i used to have a nearly perfect eth crown of the thieves
eth schaft or upped shaft
Sovereign said:
If you ask me, trying to figure out what the fuck people are saying in the D2 Forums is half the fun .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
celaron is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweencelaron is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

celaron

Posted 2004-07-26, 01:37 PM in reply to celaron's post starting "i used to have a nearly perfect eth..."
Oh ya, what's your merc for anyway? pindle? duel? or what? andy?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Ganga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenGanga is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Ganga

Posted 2004-07-26, 01:43 PM in reply to Ganga's post starting "Oh ya, what's your merc for anyway?..."
My merc is poor so he uses shaft, eth gaze and double AMN bonehew. Duriel's shell also worked well for the resistances.

My ladder merc is extremely poor and constantly complains about his gear, but that's tough shit for now. When you are demon bait your choices in life are slim...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Princess_Hibed is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPrincess_Hibed is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Princess_Hibed

Posted 2004-07-26, 01:58 PM in reply to Princess_Hibed's post starting "My merc is poor so he uses shaft, eth..."
I have rarely used a A2 merc for more than a minor meat shield and a useful aura. I try not to depend on them to do the killing for me. My major concern most of the time is for him to stay alive. I don't think it is the over all best setup from a min/max standpoint. It is however the ideal setup for how I play:

Weapon: Eth Reaver
Helm: Eth Up'ed Gaze (UMed)
Armor: Eth Up'ed Shaft (UMed)

Depending on the character I am using I can switch out the weapon for a Doom Cryptic Axe if need be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-07-26, 02:49 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "I have rarely used a A2 merc for more..."
Kockblocker set up pretty much is the best of the 1, if you pindle boter use eth reaver, else use eth bonehew.

other choose is use might merc with doom eth weapon, and those armors.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Ganga

Posted 2004-07-26, 03:21 PM in reply to Ganga's post starting "Kockblocker set up pretty much is the..."
As far as the type of A2 merc I go with this:

Any Melee damage character (wwbarb, Multi/Strafe Zon, Zealot that doesn't use Dracs, etc.):
Might merc with Eth Reaver

Casters (Hammerdin, Trapsin, Sorcs, etc.):
Defiance Merc with Eth reaver

Others (Zealot with Dracs, Pretty much all Necros):
Might merc with Doom Cryptic Axe.

I am pretty much 100% PvM so keep that in mind. I have no clue what setup is ideal for PvP mercs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-07-26, 03:24 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "As far as the type of A2 merc I go with..."
my merc on europe has:

eth upped shaft with Um OR Eth pul-ed steel carapace (cant choose >.<)
eth gaze with ed/ias
amnamn eth bonehew (nearly perf)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-07-26, 04:00 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Best armor for a merc"
Thread title changed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-07-26, 04:01 PM in reply to Dr. Geekstar's post starting "my merc on europe has: eth upped..."
i would say eth upped shaft or a good eth stone armor due to their high defence and eth gaze
Girl you know i like it when you climb on top
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
insanity_420 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeninsanity_420 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

insanity_420

Posted 2004-07-26, 04:08 PM in reply to insanity_420's post starting "i would say eth upped shaft or a good..."
With that kind of setup on lets say a might merc, damn that merc might have a chance against some big mofo's of this game. Nice dude.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
OmniFalcon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOmniFalcon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

OmniFalcon

Posted 2004-07-26, 05:01 PM in reply to OmniFalcon's post starting "With that kind of setup on lets say a..."
why not use holy freeze merc
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2004-07-26, 07:48 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "why not use holy freeze merc"
I put
Famine
TalIthAmnThul
Tal (7) + Ith (6) + Amn (11) + Thul (10)
Works: Axes and Clubs
Clvl Required: 23

or

Malice
IthElEth
Ith (6) + El (1) + Eth (5)
Works: All Melee Weapons
Clvl Required: 15

the life drain doesn't affect my merc for some reason..i used act2 merc when i started up a new charactor.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
umi_riyoki is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenumi_riyoki is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

umi_riyoki

Posted 2004-07-26, 07:52 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Bonehew does less damage than What? ..."
Medieval Bob said:
Bonehew does less damage than What?
He uses Stillpillar, gives def% bonus too which is nice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
badboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenbadboy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

badboy

Posted 2004-07-26, 07:53 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "why not use holy freeze merc"
iceman887 said:
why not use holy freeze merc
Because you can get a Doom(runeword) weapon for him and it gives Holy Freeze.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

badboy