Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II > D2 PvP

why cold mastery 1?
Posted 2004-08-23, 12:47 AM
everyone says you only need 1 point in cold mastery, for pvm or pvp, whats the reasoning behind this, why not get it as high as you can?
times of grace
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
robotbees is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenrobotbees is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

robotbees

Posted 2004-08-23, 05:55 AM in reply to robotbees's post "why cold mastery 1?"
hmm ho to explain

at lvl 1 say u gainlike -25 cold res for ur enemies or how every ti works
*Not Sure What IT Does*

the increase is lower at each lvl

and your items should pump it up to where its high enough to make it do good
`~Working in the Mortuary Affairs field isn't so bad. It pays for my 2009 Scion tC, so I can't complain.~`
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Joka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJoka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Joka69

Posted 2004-08-23, 07:10 AM in reply to Joka69's post starting "hmm ho to explain at lvl 1 say u..."
Basically what he said, but I'll put it in English for you.

Each level in Cold Mastery drops an enemy's Cold Resistance by 5%. Now, that's only effective to a point (usually about -170%).

It's useless for Cold Immune monsters, as the monsters are immune to the -Resistance effect of Cold Mastery itself.

Anyway, the best it will do is drop a monster's Cold Resist to effective -100, thus doubling the damage you're dealing.

For PvP, you can counter this by stacking a shitload of Cold Resistance on top of your 75% resist (usually accomplished via a 4-Perfect Sapphire Shield). Since Cold Mastery drops your TOTAL Cold Resistance, and not just your EFFECTIVE Cold Resistance, it'll just take away from the assload you just slapped on with that shield.

Hope that helps you out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-23, 12:32 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Basically what he said, but I'll put it..."
ur confusing the poor boy, CM works like a passive conviction, you just dont see it in the stats screen
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
blckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenblckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

blckshdwdragon

Posted 2004-08-23, 02:37 PM in reply to blckshdwdragon's post starting "ur confusing the poor boy, CM works..."
Quite a few people don't know how Conviction works either, exactly (or how to counter it).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-23, 02:55 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Quite a few people don't know how..."
it pretty much makes monsteres/enemies resistances to cold lower so u can kill them faster
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2004-08-24, 04:48 AM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "it pretty much makes monsteres/enemies..."
Well somone asked the question before i did good stuff. But is it still ok to put at least 10points in it? or stuff that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Pekson is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPekson is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Pekson

Posted 2004-08-24, 09:44 AM in reply to Pekson's post starting "Well somone asked the question before i..."
Even maxing it is good since there's no cap for it

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-08-24, 02:25 PM in reply to ExT's post starting "Even maxing it is good since there's no..."
haha, ok i get how it works and that makes sense. basically, the first point you get way more bang for your buck and the items boost it to a more effective level while remaining a more economical investment, overall character wise than adding more skill points.
what i think is funny is that this thread went from reasons to only put 1 point in it all the way to the last post saying its good to MAX IT!
now thats funny if nothing else. picture me now, back at the drawing board not knowing if i should max it again since thats what this whole thing has culminated.

i think ill stick with the 1 point though...

now ill try an orb sorc next!
times of grace
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
robotbees is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenrobotbees is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

robotbees

Posted 2004-08-24, 03:42 PM in reply to robotbees's post starting "haha, ok i get how it works and that..."
I wouldn't max it.

At 75+ resists, the creature is Immune to Cold. That Cold Immunity grants them immunity to the effects of Cold Mastery too.

Anything over -170 Cold Resist is just useful for PvP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-25, 04:11 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I wouldn't max it. At 75+ resists,..."
That's why i said max it

Either way, if you're going orb, you'll have plenty of points for it un less you're hybrid, and if you go Blizz, you'll be finished a lvl 90 to have maxed synergy and maxed mastery.

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-08-25, 07:13 AM in reply to ExT's post starting "That's why i said max it :D Either..."
Oh, son of a bitch...

I didn't notice this was in the PvP section...

In that case, yes look at 10+ points.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker