Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > DayZ

DayZ Standalone Game Underway
Posted 2012-08-09, 02:17 PM
Yesterday we learned the popular zombie survival mod for ARMA II, DayZ, will be developed as a standalone game.

The developer of the mod, Dean "Rocket" Hall, made a blog post on the DayZ Tumblr that he will serve as project lead and Bohemia Interactive (the same guys who make the ARMA games) will develop and publish the game. "The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price," wrote Hall as part of his personal announcement.

The mod is less than 6 months old, but has made such a huge impact on gaming that it has boosted sales of ARMA II to record numbers and made it a top seller on Steam for weeks. Just a couple days ago DayZ reached over 1 million unique players, so it's not surprising that Bohemia Interactive is attempting to capitalize on that success by publishing a full-fledged game. Whether or not the standalone DayZ game will please fans of the mod remains to be seen.

A website for the production of the standalone game has been made, but lacks significant content at the moment. Keep your attention there for progress.

Though incredibly popular, fun and immersive, the mod was not without faults. Being built on a military battle simulator certainly helped the post-apocalyptic Chernarus landscape feel more realistic, but the bugs and awkward controls came along with it. Now that it is being built as a separate entity, the producers will be able to smoothly add in features while creating a zombie survival game from the start. Of course, the DayZ mod itself is still in an alpha stage and is expected to be developed in parallel with the standalone game, so fans of the mod should continue to receive new updates.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/26058...lone_game.html

http://dayzgame.com/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-09, 10:29 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "DayZ Standalone Game Underway"
Hopefully it doesn't get blown way out of proportion by overambitious developers, and I doubt this Rocket dude will throw weight around if he starts getting pushed on.

"How about like, you know we could have, I dunno, zombies that do backflips"

"It would be super neat if there were tank zombies, and they were really powerful and hard to kill!"

"Rocket we were all talking, and we thought maybe there could be moonraker lasers in the game"

Those people need to be beaten with a rolled up newspaper immediately. The game is no flair right now which is just right. The stark realism is also nice. I'd say if there needs to be one thing it should be that surviving is harder with less consistency, and loot also less predictable and sparse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2012-08-09, 11:33 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Hopefully it doesn't get blown way out..."
The developers are probably kissing Rocket's ass in every way possible. His creation brought their dead game back to life.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-10, 02:54 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Hopefully it doesn't get blown way out..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
Hopefully it doesn't get blown way out of proportion by overambitious developers, and I doubt this Rocket dude will throw weight around if he starts getting pushed on.

"How about like, you know we could have, I dunno, zombies that do backflips"

"It would be super neat if there were tank zombies, and they were really powerful and hard to kill!"

"Rocket we were all talking, and we thought maybe there could be moonraker lasers in the game"

Those people need to be beaten with a rolled up newspaper immediately. The game is no flair right now which is just right. The stark realism is also nice. I'd say if there needs to be one thing it should be that surviving is harder with less consistency, and loot also less predictable and sparse.
I agree. Left 4 Dead is a great game, but that doesn't mean DayZ should be anything like it.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-10, 03:29 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "I agree. Left 4 Dead is a great game,..."
I have faith that they will preserve and enhance the DayZ experience. I think they understand what they've got here, and hopefully they'll take care to do things right. I like how they are planning to develop via the minecraft model as well. This means they'll have plenty of player feedback along the development process, so hopefully the game doesn't suck.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!