Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Posted 2007-07-18, 09:03 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "I guess I don't interact with Spanish..."
Vault Dweller said:
And FUCK French. It's a snooty bullshit language designed for talking down to people. Spanish (I'm talking real Spanish, not the Mexican bastardization) sounds much better. But that's just my opinion, of course. Fuck French.

That was a pretty idiotic statement.

SO the question must be asked, are you the racist that call Vol at work?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-07-18, 09:06 PM in reply to khwiii's post starting "That was a pretty idiotic statement. ..."
Considering he praised some form of Spanish, I doubt it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-07-19, 02:33 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "That was a pretty idiotic statement. ..."
Heh. Guess the sarcasm didn't translate well in that post. I was just trying to provide a counterpoint to the complaints in this thread regarding Spanish speaking immigrants. I just picked French out of a hat. I could just as easily have used German, Russian, etc.

Honestly, if I had the time, I'd work on becoming multi-lingual. I'd greatly prefer that to one unifying language. There are too many phrases and concepts that don't translate accurately from one language (culture) to another. (For instance, according to the Dalai Lama in his book Ethics for the New Millennium, Tibetian Buddhism does not have an equivalent concept for the Western idea of "guilt.") A unifying language could erase various culturally oriented perceptions that have the potential to benefit the whole of mankind. At the same time, I do see how it could put us all "on the same page." I guess I'd just prefer the benefit of knowing multiple languages in order to open historical avenues of study.

Of course, there is the fact that mathematics and science have already presented the world with unifying languages, so an actual conversational language isn't really necessary in order for mankind to progress scientifically.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-19, 08:22 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Heh. Guess the sarcasm didn't..."
Being multi-lingual is awesome. I still need to improve my German and I need to learn more French. I can also read Cyrllic (just don't comprehend the language it's used for) as well as Old English (same deal).

Also, very awesome post, Vault Dweller.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-07-19, 09:04 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Being multi-lingual is awesome. I..."
I know enough German to get around and look like an American tourist...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-07-19, 10:15 AM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Being multi-lingual is awesome. I..."
Damn. Cyrillic and Old English? Impressive. I had enough trouble with Middle English. Right now, I know enough Spanish that I could get by if necessary. Like I said, just haven't had the time to study any other languages.

I met a girl in one of my classes who learned Welsh. That seems like another interesting (but "useless," as she put it) language.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-19, 11:21 AM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Damn. Cyrillic and Old English? ..."
uhm........
most accents are hott, except spanish ones.
"ay mami" UGH
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-07-19, 11:40 AM in reply to klo's post starting "uhm........ most accents are hott,..."
you're all racist jerks regardless of your views
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2007-07-19, 11:55 AM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "you're all racist jerks regardless of..."
Finnish.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-07-19, 01:15 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "you're all racist jerks regardless of..."
haha look at the Spaniard taking offense. Carlos Mencia makes you guys look so distinguished...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-07-19, 04:10 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Damn. Cyrillic and Old English? ..."
Like I said, I can't comprehend Cyrillic and Old English, but I can read and pronounce the words pretty decently. Most Russian I know is "Ya Amerikanetz," which is "I'm American."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2007-07-20, 05:54 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Heh. Guess the sarcasm didn't..."
Vault Dweller said:
Heh. Guess the sarcasm didn't translate well in that post. I was just trying to provide a counterpoint to the complaints in this thread regarding Spanish speaking immigrants. I just picked French out of a hat. I could just as easily have used German, Russian, etc.

Honestly, if I had the time, I'd work on becoming multi-lingual. I'd greatly prefer that to one unifying language. There are too many phrases and concepts that don't translate accurately from one language (culture) to another. (For instance, according to the Dalai Lama in his book Ethics for the New Millennium, Tibetian Buddhism does not have an equivalent concept for the Western idea of "guilt.") A unifying language could erase various culturally oriented perceptions that have the potential to benefit the whole of mankind. At the same time, I do see how it could put us all "on the same page." I guess I'd just prefer the benefit of knowing multiple languages in order to open historical avenues of study.

Of course, there is the fact that mathematics and science have already presented the world with unifying languages, so an actual conversational language isn't really necessary in order for mankind to progress scientifically.
Even Mathematics and Science require a medium to explain new principles and such, a unifying language would still do a lot for the people of the world in my eyes, at least for public speaking and such.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-20, 06:07 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Even Mathematics and Science require a..."
I propose everyone be forced to learn Lojban
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-20, 06:09 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I propose everyone be forced to learn..."
First I've ever heard of it. What is its current purpose?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-20, 06:19 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "First I've ever heard of it. What is..."
I believe it was created for strictly academic purposes. Haven't looked into it too much.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-24, 02:48 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "It would also be a uniting factor for..."
In FireFly, humanity speaks English and Chinese. Sensible really. English is the language of buisiness in the west, and most far eastern cultures have present or past use of Chinese characters.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired