Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall
Posted 2009-05-20, 03:50 AM

Mr Boole said he could not make sense of his survival

A skydiver from Staffordshire has survived a 6,000ft free fall in Russia without his parachute.

James Boole, from Tamworth, said he was supposed to have been given a signal by another skydiver to open the parachute, but it came two seconds too late.

Mr Boole, who was filming the other skydiver for a television documentary, landed on snow-covered rocks and suffered a broken back and rib.

"What went through my mind was my wife and my daughter," he said.

"I really thought that I was going to die - incredible feeling of sadness and just how unfair that was."

Mr Boole, who has made 2,500 jumps, is now back at home in a body brace.

He said: "(The other flyer) took us so close to the ground where I thought I was dead.

"When I finally looked at the ground and realised how low I was, I knew there was no time for me to get a full parachute above my head.

"For the first 48 hours after the accident I thought maybe I am dead and this is some kind of after-life limbo, or some other reality, because I couldn't make sense of it - how I was still here to come through this?"

BORKED
Video shot from the plane captures the moment the skydivers hit the ground

His wife, Kristina, who is also a skydiver, said: "For the moment I'm thinking just of him to recover, so not about jumping or anything like that.

"But yeah (I) would like him to stop doing that."

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 06:46 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall"
That's a ridiculous story, I guess the snow must've taken the blunt of the hit. I think human falling velocity is like 80-something MPH, so to survive a fall from that distance is just crazy.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:23 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "That's a ridiculous story, I guess the..."
D3V said: [Goto]
That's a ridiculous story, I guess the snow must've taken the blunt of the hit. I think human falling velocity is like 80-something MPH, so to survive a fall from that distance is just crazy.

The lowest terminal velocity of a skydiver is approximately 56 m/s (125 mph)[1][2]. Speeds of over 89 m/s (200 mph) can be achieved close to Earth if the cross section of the skydiver is minimized.

Since more than 99% of terminal velocity is reached after a free-fall of approximately 15 seconds (after falling 395 meters or approximately 1/4 mile)[3], falling any distance farther than that will have no difference in impact.

Furthermore, Vesna Vulović holds the Guinness World Record for the highest fall survived without a parachute, at 33,330 feet (10,160 meters). However, she was either trapped in the fuselage as it fell, or was positioned in a flight chair. One of them absorbed most of the damage from the fall.

I've never read about anyone surviving a completely unaided free fall of over 25 meters at a perpendicular angle into reasonably solid ground. James Boole was most likely saved by her half-opened parachute.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-05-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:36 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The lowest terminal velocity of a..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
James Boole was most likely saved by her half-opened parachute.
His half-opened parachute.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 10:00 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "His half-opened parachute."
I wonder how deep the snow was. That's quite amazing though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2009-05-20, 10:19 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "I wonder how deep the snow was. That's..."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-05-20, 11:00 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall"
He fell on a slope, so some of the energy went to sliding him ..and the snow increased the amount of time it took for him to slow down to a stop. This lowers the amount of energy he got at any instant.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-05-20, 08:13 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "He fell on a slope, so some of the..."
Somehow, none of that diminishes the fact that a man jumped out of a plane at altitude and survived an uncontrolled landing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-05-21, 05:34 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Somehow, none of that diminishes the..."
He's a lucky man. If he had actually hit solid, flat ground, then it'd have been even more remarkable (imo). I know some people have before.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-05-21, 12:12 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall"
Whoa. That's pretty fucking intense.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2009-05-21, 12:57 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall"
@WW: Agreed. I think they are Just trying to understand it
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-05-21, 02:03 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Jumper survives 6,000ft free fall"
I'm glad he made it, would be a shame to lose such a great guy.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-05-21, 02:50 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I'm glad he made it, would be a shame..."
I lol'ed

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-05-26, 12:15 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I lol'ed"
i can probably break the fall with my dick
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2009-05-26, 02:44 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "i can probably break the fall with my..."
Ya well in the James Bond movie Moonraker I think it was(one of the few with the character Jaws), Jaws survives jumping from a plane higher than 6000 ft and lands on flat ground(not a snow covered slope). And we all know the James Bond movies are documentaries shot in real-time, not hollywood movies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2009-05-27, 07:20 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Ya well in the James Bond movie..."
Jaws was a fucking beast, even though the fall would've killed him.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2009-05-28, 10:03 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Ya well in the James Bond movie..."
The man bit through a steel cable, and you're discussing the realism of his on screen actions?

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2009-05-31, 01:23 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "The man bit through a steel cable, and..."
JRwakebord said: [Goto]
The man bit through a steel cable, and you're discussing the realism of his on screen actions?
Apparently you missed this part:

And we all know the James Bond movies are documentaries shot in real-time, not hollywood movies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2009-05-31, 08:29 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Apparently you missed this part: And..."
I think James Bond's camera-man would be a more dangerous job than being James Bond himself
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-06-03, 05:49 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Ya well in the James Bond movie..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
Ya well in the James Bond movie Moonraker I think it was(one of the few with the character Jaws), Jaws survives jumping from a plane higher than 6000 ft and lands on flat ground(not a snow covered slope).

Lies! Jaws landed on a circus tent, which probably had a safety net installed.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser