Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II > D2 PvP

Best "classical" duel char?
Posted 2004-08-09, 08:38 PM
im thinkin V/t i wanna play classic cuz its harder.. but whats the best thing 2 use? cuz no R/Ws.... and all rares
`~Working in the Mortuary Affairs field isn't so bad. It pays for my 2009 Scion tC, so I can't complain.~`
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Joka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJoka69 enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Joka69

Posted 2004-08-09, 08:46 PM in reply to Joka69's post "Best "classical" duel char?"
Joka69 said:
im thinkin V/t i wanna play classic cuz its harder.. but whats the best thing 2 use? cuz no R/Ws.... and all rares
A Classix V/T would never, i repeat never work out. Four main reasons here:
1. No Pally only type shields that have insane mods so your smite will suck.
2. Harder to level so balancing out a V/T with low levels doesnt work.
3. No damage reduction to make V/T's stand thier gorund melee like they are capable of doing in 1.08+.
4. Its just not a possible build due to so many item limits, skill limits stat limits and everything.

For Classic make a Zon or a barbarian. I think barbarians are the strongest Classic characters.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Endurack is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Endurack

Posted 2004-08-09, 08:47 PM in reply to Joka69's post "Best "classical" duel char?"
Ben, you should come on the 1.09 tigs pvp server with some of my friends and I.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-08-09, 10:15 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Ben, you should come on the 1.09 tigs..."
In 1.09 it had to of been Barb for all around stuff. Zon would be a close 2nd.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2004-08-10, 02:00 AM in reply to Joka69's post "Best "classical" duel char?"
well i would say that i think that a hammer din would work pretty well on classice because of their insane damage and other people would not be able to tank you because only assassin could block you hammers and they do not exist in clasic and zons you probably suck in classic as well due to not having great items.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2004-08-10, 06:05 AM in reply to sue_13's post starting "well i would say that i think that a..."
How will hammerdins do Vs Casters? No tele

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-08-10, 04:45 PM in reply to ExT's post starting "How will hammerdins do Vs Casters? No..."
a hammer din should do pretty well i would think because only sorcs can tele in classic and the pally can still use charge or charge and vigor to get a tremendouse speed advantage over other classes in classic.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-08-10, 04:47 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "a hammer din should do pretty well i..."
Don't forget that hammerdins do a hell of a lot less damage without synergies.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-08-10, 04:48 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Don't forget that hammerdins do a hell..."
umm unless i missed something i thought that there were synergies in classic. but since i dont play i might be wrong.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-08-10, 04:56 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "umm unless i missed something i thought..."
Oh hell.... I didn't even think of playing classic right now... I was all thinking like.. before expansion came out.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-08-11, 07:23 AM in reply to ExT's post starting "How will hammerdins do Vs Casters? No..."
ExT said:
How will hammerdins do Vs Casters? No tele
Hammerdins don't NEED tele. blckshdwdragon dismantled my V/T without it...

Anyway, in the days BEFORE synergies, Barbs owned the game, no question. They may still...

Zon: I would advise against a bowzon, since there's no jewels/150+ damage bows, you're shooting slow, and you're shooting for shit damage...
Maybe a poison javazon could be decent.

Necro: A necromancer would be hard to use, since you'll lack teleport AND run/walk charms, so even a .09 style necro would be difficult to play, since you won't be able to outrun anything.

Pally: FoH is still powerful, due to Conviction. They don't have 4-socket Monarchs in Classic either.
Charger/Zealot (Crusader?) might be ok, since Charge will let you run down quick chars, but good luck hitting your 4FPA Zeal.
Hammerdin is an ok choice, but your weapon is gonna be Spectral Shard, which lacks the resists of Wizardspike or HOTO. Still, you should be able to counter that with a point or two into each 'Resist-Element'.

Sorc: Fire sorc would be just as useless in Classic, as both Hotspurs and Nokozan Relic exist on Classic. GG'd
Lit sorc lacks a lot of gear choices, but could be ok. I never really looked into making one, so I'm not the best person to ask.
Cold sorc is still the best, due to Cold Mastery.

I would personally make a barb. Make sure you get Death's Sash for the 'Cannot be Frozen' mod, as only that and Hawkmail are the only Classic items with that mod, I believe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-11, 12:24 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Hammerdins don't NEED tele. ..."
I would prolly vote a classic polearm ww barb, godly range; nice dmg, ww speed doesnt matter and barbs of course you can get the best resists/life easiest

dont quote me on this tho; i dont play classic
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Zuberan is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenZuberan is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Zuberan

Posted 2004-08-11, 04:20 PM in reply to Zuberan's post starting "I would prolly vote a classic polearm..."
WW breakpoints are in effect, and no good polearms (unless you get a good rare). Also, a shield is somewhat necessary, since you're going to be lacking a bit of HP without charms...

Granted, other chars won't be dealing near the damage their LoD counterparts can deal, but still, you wanna be the biggest tank you can be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-11, 04:54 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "WW breakpoints are in effect, and no..."
Zon would destroy any character you all just listed. The best bet is to use a Lancer or a Zon. In 1.06 i had a zon with 85x life (don't remember exactly) and a little under 1,000 Guided arrow. I used a Carrion Horn (a.k.a Song) Gothic Bow which at the time had 158 maximum damage. I was able to produce 9 FPS and have pretty high resitances. I also was able to have about 48% FHR.

Now for you people forgetting this, AMAZONS HAVE DODGES AND AVOIDS REMEMBERRR? If you go with ur dodges a Hammerdin, FoHer, Melee tpye charatcer, etc. wont hit u very often. Now if your worried about run/walk advantages toss on Cold Damage and watch people slow down very fast cuz remember, there was no Cannot Be Frozen Back then excpet from Deaths set which would really take off some options for your oponent. If your a zon and someone tosses on Deaths set, im sure they are giving up a very nice Belt and Gloves so this weakens your oponent. Just run around doing Zig Zags and using pierce since pierce works in Classic and youll destroy targets very fast.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Endurack

Posted 2004-08-12, 07:01 AM in reply to Endurack's post starting "Zon would destroy any character you all..."
My barb owned any zon I came across in 1.05(or was it .04?)...

S/S barb. There really weren't any OUTSTANDING belt choices then, so Death's Belt was really the only way to go.

In any case, zons were pathetic in pre-LoD Classic. Even with their Avoids, they couldn't hit me fast and/or hard enough to keep me off their pasty, white asses before they fell to my 111 Gothic Sword(LOL!).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-12, 09:31 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "My barb owned any zon I came across in..."
well i still think that hammer dins or bone necros with their high damage magic damage would still be pretty good. because items on classic would not have much physical damage so i think that casters are the way to go.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

tidus2005

Posted 2004-08-12, 05:28 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "well i still think that hammer dins or..."
As far as I can remember, my zon lost to like maybe 1 or 2 barbs a day if that. In 05 we had a Belt called Storm Clash which was a 63 life belt with 16 str and 12 dex. Later on in 06 Doom Harness came out which was 59 life/4xmana Fire Res 34 Cold Res 2x 19 Str 17 Dex. Giving belts like those up was a huge sacrifice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Endurack