Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Post Heh...I was wrong.
Posted 2003-10-16, 06:33 AM
I used to be one of the biggest Anti-FF8 supporters in the world. I was of the opinion that the game had awful characters, a giant hole for a villain, a story that wouldn't make sense to a pothead, and the shittiest skill system in the history of RPGs. I was wrong. Well, I was wrong about everything execpt one of those things, but I'll get to that later.

I recently finished this game in its' entirety. I did just about everything there was to do in the game, with the exception of any of the Card Game sidequests. I still think that Triple Triad is a horrible mess, and that opinion will never change. But, after having played through it again, I can honestly say that Final Fantasy 8 is a really good game.

The characters are a real departure from the rest of the series. Much more realistsic than past games. While I honestly prefer the more outlandish, fantasy-inspired characters, I have to give the writers credit for making the characters in this game work so well together. I also used to criticize the living hell out of Squall for being a complete asshole until the very end of the game. He wasn't an asshole, he just had more internal monologue than dialogue with other characters. It was interesting to see a hero that acted in a fashion so different from past FF heros. He's not my favorite by a longshot, but I honestly have a hard time deciding whether I like him better than Cloud or not.

The story actually makes perfect sense. My only gripe with it is that Lunatic Pandora isn't really explained very well, but in all honesty, it's not tough to figure out what the hell it is and why it's in the game.

The villain issue is still a bit bothersome on the surface, but really not that big a deal when you think about it. Technically, all of the evil shit Edea did was actually Ultimecia's doing, therefore she wasn't pulling a "Zemus" by not having any involvement in the game until the very end. You just didn't meet her in person until the final battle.

The one problem that I still have with the game is the Junction System. It's awful. It's way too fucking powerful, and it turns magic into a tool. Magic in FF8 isn't the all-powerful destructive force that it's supposed to be. It's a stat-boosting item. That still pisses me off.

All in all, though, it's a much better game than I remember it being. Still my least favorite of the five that I've beaten, but certainly not the ungodly mess I used to accuse it of being.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-10-16, 08:58 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I really liked Triple Triad from FF8. There was (is) an online version of it that I played a lot actually. (It's very unreliable now as there's not much interest in it. The servers are down lots and there are few players.)
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2003-10-16, 09:36 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I liked the introverted Squall. At least he spoke sometimes, unlike Cloud

Cloud really didn't have much of a personality.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-16, 09:53 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Hate to say, but I told you so. Bitches.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-16, 09:56 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Never said I hated it, bitch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-16, 03:47 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I have to agree with you on the junctioning. It's just plain retarded. Otherwise, I've always liked ff8 quite a bit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-10-17, 03:49 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I have always liked the game. Its pretty good and I do like Squall more than Clloud. He's just alot better in pretty much everyway.

The only problem I've got with the game is, not meeting Ultamecia to the end. I would've liked to meet here before that.

Did anyone notice how the most powerful sorceresses are freaky looking? (Adel and Ultameica)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-10-17, 10:09 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Kuja`s #1 said:
Did anyone notice how the most powerful sorceresses are freaky looking? (Adel and Ultameica)
I always assumed that their evil power twisted their looks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-17, 10:13 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Kuja`s #1 said:
I have always liked the game. Its pretty good and I do like Squall more than Clloud. He's just alot better in pretty much everyway.
Cloud just has a BIGass sword, which makes him A+ in my book of... stuff.
So this baby seal walks into a club.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenask_rabber is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ask_rabber

Posted 2003-10-17, 11:14 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Rurouni Storm said:
Kuja`s #1 said:
I always assumed that their evil power twisted their looks.
I guess that makes sense.

What's Triple Triad? I probably know what it is, but I don't know it by name.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-10-17, 11:33 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
The card game from FF8
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-18, 12:02 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Oh. It was gay.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-10-18, 06:01 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I don't know why, but I never really liked any of those side-games like card games. Blitzball was alright, but I only played it for a while.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-10-18, 07:41 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
The ff9 card game rocked. I played it like an addict. I'll be playing that a lot of playonline when FFXI comes out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-10-18, 10:25 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I liked the FFVIII and FFIX card game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja

Posted 2003-10-18, 10:37 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Kuja`s #1 said:
Oh. It was gay.
Nope, Chocobo breeding was gat.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2003-10-18, 10:42 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I hated blitzball.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-10-19, 01:37 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
Tetra Master (FF9 Card Game) was significantly better than Triple Triad. It didn't have all the lame ass extra rules like "Random" and all the fucking annoying combo rules.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-10-19, 02:48 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
I still think FFVIII is the worst out of all the Final Fantasy games on the PLaystation systems. The gunblades and the various love scenes are what I hate most though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
SoldierX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSoldierX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

SoldierX

Posted 2003-10-19, 03:25 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Heh...I was wrong."
The worst in the series would have to be FF4 IMO because I totally hated it, but a lot of people loved it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!