Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Recommend some music!
Posted 2009-08-24, 12:01 PM
So, I've got unlimited music downloads from Nokia for a year, and I've cracked the DRM... but I'm lost for what to download.

My usual listening is British Indie (bands like Arctic Monkeys, Editors, Kaiser Chiefs), a bit of American Indie (Cage the Elephant, Cold War Kids) and bits and bobs of Rock. Recently, however, I've been getting very much into modern Electro, particularly La Roux, and this song:

BORKED

I've just downloaded Paramore to see what they're like, but I'm not too keen apart from the odd song.

Anyway, hit me, fools!

This'll move back to Entertainment in a month, so hurry!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-08-25, 11:42 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Recommend some music!"
That's...an interesting video.

Have you any Evanescence or Imogen Heap?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-08-25, 12:37 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "That's...an interesting video. Have..."
I've got some Evanescence somewhere, but not Imogen Heap - I'll have a listen.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-08-25, 08:54 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've got some Evanescence somewhere,..."
ATB, anything going wrong at all.. I listen to them and everything is better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2009-08-25, 10:44 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Recommend some music!"
Kings of Leon, their earlier albums are fun. The Killers, Modest Mouse, Cloud Cult, Sublime, The Strokes, The Vines, The Von Bondies, The Bravery. Hmm, can't think of any others at the moment. Do let me know if any of those are what you like.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2009-08-26, 01:34 AM in reply to Lenny's post "Recommend some music!"
Lenny said: [Goto]
So, I've got unlimited music downloads from Nokia
Great thread, Lenny.
There are many creators of music (who you should know).
More-a-less, here are a few names of groups that rule:

[Experimental and Metal]:
Godspeed You Black Emperor!, Battlefields, Explosions
in the Sky, Envy (the shoegaze/metal group from Japan),
Dispensing of False Halos, Pelican, Sickoakes.

[Ambient/Electronica]:
Boards of Canada, Global Communication, Windy & Carl,
Slowdive.

[Indie/Rock]:
Vast, The Flaming Lips, Neutral Milk Hotel,
My Bloody Valentine.

Last edited by Mdselctr; 2009-08-26 at 01:19 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mdselctr shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeMdselctr shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Mdselctr

Posted 2009-08-26, 01:52 PM in reply to Mdselctr's post starting "Great thread, Lenny. There are many..."
Yay for activity!

The ones I already listen to/have listened to from the suggestions: Kings of Leon, Killers, Strokes, Bravery, Flaming Lips. I think I might have some Sublime lying around, too.

I'm currently rocking out to an old classic: Totally Addicted to Bass by Puretone. Once this has finished, I'll check out the other suggestions.

Last edited by Lenny; 2009-08-26 at 02:06 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-08-26, 01:58 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Yay for activity! :D The ones I..."
Muse

Fuck WW?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2009-08-26, 02:01 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Muse Fuck WW?"
Years ahead of you, mate.

Though the new singles are tempting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-08-26, 08:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Years ahead of you, mate. ;) Though..."
Slightly Stoopid has a nice easy going rock sound to it. It's mostly stoner rock, but still is a great listen when you want to just chill out and relax.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2009-08-27, 10:19 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Yay for activity! :D The ones I..."
Can't go wrong with some 80's rock too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-08-30, 01:30 AM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Can't go wrong with some 80's rock too...."
The 80s were a dead period for music and should be expunged from the records.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Xenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeXenn shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Xenn

Posted 2009-08-30, 09:57 AM in reply to Xenn's post starting "The 80s were a dead period for music..."
Lies.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-08-30, 04:04 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Lies."
i would try the band Rise Against
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2009-08-31, 02:26 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "i would try the band Rise Against"
I've still got to give most of the bands in here a look.

As for the 80s - some things that came out of the 80s are best forgotten, aye, but some of the music isn't! I've got a playlist on Spotify of nearly 100 80s tracks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2009-09-01, 09:53 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've still got to give most of the..."
BORKED

Anything Nightwish
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2009-09-01, 10:11 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "QYS1MAvfYgs Anything Nightwish"
Gory. Nice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-09-01, 04:07 PM in reply to Jessifer's post starting "Gory. Nice."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sq3QoZhxrk one of my favorite songs
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2009-09-02, 08:17 AM in reply to jamer123's post starting "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sq3QoZhx..."
You can't go wrong with some good New Age and Classical music imo, Lenny.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Jessifer

Posted 2009-09-09, 01:28 PM in reply to Xenn's post starting "Muse Fuck WW?"
Xenn said: [Goto]
Muse

Fuck WW?

The first half of the new album is decent. Not as good as previous albums, but still alright. Can't wait listen to the three-part Symphony at the end of the album.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny