Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Cloverfield Review SPOILER ALERT!!!
Posted 2008-01-18, 12:31 AM
Hello Zelaron!

Just got back from seeing Cloverfield and tought I would whip out a quick review.

In a word: Great. Not awesome but pretty damn good. Fast, exciting, and even funny at moments.

What I liked: The movie had some genuine jump in your seat moments, some eerie 911 imagery, and the monster after all the guessing and hype definitely kicked some ass (and knocked most of Manhattan on its ass as well.) The action was continual and kept you glued to the edge of your seat for the most part with only one or two suspense building lulls. The sound effects were stupendious, even when the monster was not in the scene the sound of its constant roaring in the distance and the thud of miltary ordnance (and a few falling buildings) were enough to keep your rapt attention.

What I did not like: There were a couple of scenes that I thought actually detracted from the movie, the death scene of Hud with the full facial of the monster was a little ridiculous...how the hell does a 300 ft. tall monster sneak up on you in Central Park? The spider/crab parasites that fell off the creature at one point were just a distraction for a scene or two and felt kind of tacked on to eliminate a slow spot and did not add much to the overall affect of the movie.

Now heres the spoiler alert: What did the creature look like? I thought they did a great job overall and it was pretty darn close to some of the blogs I have been seeing on the movie. The best I could describe it is as a cross between the Kraken (from Clash of the Titans, NOT Pirates of the Carribean), the creature from The Host, and a dash of something out of Doom 3.

In closing I highly reccomend it!

Peace out,

Doofus

Last edited by Doofus_AW; 2008-01-18 at 12:34 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Doofus_AW enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDoofus_AW enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Doofus_AW

Posted 2008-01-18, 05:09 PM in reply to Doofus_AW's post "Cloverfield Review SPOILER ALERT!!!"
Really? The previews made it seem very war of the worlds...and I hated that movie...I'm sure by the end of it you're just supposed to splash some water on it or bring it out into our atmosphere to stop it. I'm also sure the reason why it chose our planet to come to is something lame as well.
"The belonging you seek is not behind you, it's ahead."
--Maz Kanata
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Silverjinx18 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSilverjinx18 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Silverjinx18

Posted 2008-01-19, 03:15 PM in reply to Silverjinx18's post starting "Really? The previews made it seem very..."
I don't think it's supposed to be an alien?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-01-19, 04:47 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I don't think it's supposed to be an..."
Its not an alien....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Doofus_AW enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDoofus_AW enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Doofus_AW

Posted 2008-01-19, 05:17 PM in reply to Doofus_AW's post "Cloverfield Review SPOILER ALERT!!!"
Quote:
How does a 300 ft tall monster sneak up on you?
It wasn't so much that it snuck as that it's so large that it can move fast if it wants, expecially in the open.

As for the small monsters, I suspect that they are the young of the big one and that there are only so many.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-01-22, 08:34 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "It wasn't so much that it snuck as that..."
Personally i thought the movie was GARBAGE.

G-A-R-B-A-G-E

it was fucking blair witch project; cloverfield style

Spoiler below:

the monster was a bitch, they did irrational things, the character Rob, has he ever heard the phrase 'Money over Bitches'?! He had a job as a VP of a company and a flight to Japan the next day and he risks everybodys life by wanting to go rescue that dumb bitch. If he was mad in love with her it would have made sense but they fucked once and she probably sucks at giving head. His brother died because of him and the only good part of the movie was that the ticket was only 5 bucks that night.

Fucking Garbage. I got motion sickness from watching it. If it was a godzilla type movie where you get to see zilla pwn bitches left and right, it would have been cool.

Some parts were great yeah, about 10~mins of the movie was worth watching, the first 45 mins of it was them standing around at a party. My friends and I argued about what we thought the monster was going to be and we hyped the movie up between ourselves too much. I had HIGH expectations, and it blew. I went to the Thursday night premier at 12:01, not worth staying up for.

i give it a 5/10

Last edited by slaynish; 2008-01-22 at 08:37 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2008-01-30, 10:47 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Personally i thought the movie was..."
Slay said:
I got motion sickness from watching it.
Oh. That's why you didn't like it.

You're a pussy!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2008-08-06, 11:29 AM in reply to Doofus_AW's post "Cloverfield Review SPOILER ALERT!!!"
I'm 37 minutes 38 seconds in (subway station), and I'm enjoying it. The idea of the whole film being filmed by one fella with a handheld camera is fantastic - it'd just be a high budget, generic monster flick, otherwise.

I wish they'd taught the fella how to hold it steady, though - like Slaynish, I'm getting a bit motion sick. Thankfully, as I'm watching the DVD, I can pause it whenever I want. I'd have hated to see it in the cinema.

Full thoughts when it's finished (just over 43 minutes).

---

A good film - I liked it. Not much else to say, really. Well, the ending was very abrupt, but it suited it.

As for it being an alien - it sure as hell wasn't an Earth creature. The last scene (the end of the original tape, Beth and Rob on the ferries wheel on Coney Island) shows, in the background, a shape fall out of the sky and land in the sea off Coney Island.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-08-06 at 01:37 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-08-06, 07:04 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'm 37 minutes 38 seconds in (subway..."
I thought it was a pretty good movie overall when I went to see it at theatres. Guess the camera moving everywhere was all part of the effects, didn't give me any motion sickness. What sucked is that the only person that survived (all Rob's fault) was his brother's girlfriend that was transported out of Manhattan in a helicopter (which all of them could've taken).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-08-06, 08:55 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'm 37 minutes 38 seconds in (subway..."
in one scene it flashes king kong
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2008-08-07, 09:49 AM in reply to jamer123's post starting "in one scene it flashes king kong"
jamer123 said: [Goto]
in one scene it flashes king kong
Name the scene. Otherwise you're horribly wrong.I didn't really enjoy the movie. It took forever to get started, the camera part was just plain annoying, and on top of all that the monster didn't even kill them; a nuke did. Weak ending. 3/10 I would not suggest anyone to watch this film.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-08-07, 11:55 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Name the scene. Otherwise you're..."
ive nicknamed this movie Cloverfail
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-07, 07:38 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Name the scene. Otherwise you're..."
HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Name the scene. Otherwise you're horribly wrong.I didn't really enjoy the movie. It took forever to get started, the camera part was just plain annoying, and on top of all that the monster didn't even kill them; a nuke did. Weak ending. 3/10 I would not suggest anyone to watch this film.
A nuke? Don't correct Jamer when you don't even know what happened. It wasn't a nuke, they just bombed Manhattan with planes. That's why they were evacuating everyone. An Atom bomb would've been too devastating, just an island they were targeting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-08-07, 07:52 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "A nuke? Don't correct Jamer when you..."
Wallow, please explain how a massive rush of energy like that could not have been a nuke. It was not a carpet bombing, it was one big nuke. If their tank shells couldn't kill it, how could bombs kill it? It was a small tactical nuke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-08-07, 07:57 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Wallow, please explain how a massive..."
i dont remember completely - but where were they @ the end under the bridge? a nuke would have completely decimated any living thing within xx radius? (im not looking up how devastating a nuke is) BUT if they were like flown 1/2 way across the country then yes it coulda been a nuke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-08-07, 07:59 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "i dont remember completely - but where..."
Did Japan get completely swamped because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? No! The nuclear bomb would've blasted destroying that part of New York City.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-08-07, 08:27 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Name the scene. Otherwise you're..."
I just refused to watch this movie because it was so overhyped and I didn't think it'd be that good.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-08-07, 08:59 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I just refused to watch this movie..."
The advertizing sucked me in but I liked it.

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67

Posted 2008-08-08, 08:22 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Did Japan get completely swamped..."
HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Did Japan get completely swamped because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? No! The nuclear bomb would've blasted destroying that part of New York City.
I guess it's an opiniated answer. If they would've nuked Manhattan, it would've caused major radiation and all of New York would've been destroyed. They were only evacuating out of Manhattan, not New York City! Think clearly and then answer next time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2008-08-08, 09:02 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "I guess it's an opiniated answer. If..."
Don't talk down to me you immature little prick. Especially when you haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

Do you know how big Manhattan is? If you researched it, the land area is ~23 square miles. It is also part of New York City. A small tactical nuke would decimate Manhattan, and possibly half of NYC. How do you explain the flash and ripping apart of matter around them? Hmm, sounds like a NUKE to me.

Why are you so ignorant to other theories when they are supported by evidence? It's like you're arguing that your dad is better than mine. Oh wait, maybe your dad told you that they bombed Manhattan a didn't nuke it. Seriously, get over yourself because you're not intelligent at all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

HandOfHeaven