Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Posted 2006-01-15, 06:59 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Arkantis: Thanks. Blahblah. ..."
Thanks guys. I've noticed that people really prefer my more detailed works, but I still like to keep things loose enough to capture the mood/light/basic ideas. In a sense, it feels like tidying up / adding details to the piece is solely the result of wanting people to find amazement in your technical expertise. "Ooh, the skin is so slick that it looks like a photograph!" Spending 5 hours smudging color blobs together doesn't teach me anything, it feels. Or am I just stupid for not aiming for what "most people really like"?

Anyway, some new studies and stuff, mostly water colors this time:

"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2006-01-15 at 07:23 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-01-23, 09:43 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Thanks guys. I've noticed that people..."
Well, I'd rail those chicks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2006-01-29, 09:47 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Thanks guys. I've noticed that people..."
More stuff coming soon, I just need to photograph some paintings that are too large to be scanned.

"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2006-01-29 at 03:05 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-02-07, 04:03 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "More stuff coming soon, I just need to..."
New batch! (Oldest in the top)

Life, two Bridgman copies:

Master (?) copy:

Rendering practice from ref:

Doodles, ignore the giant, skewed head:

I took the liberty to photograph some recent oil paintings too:

Inspired by Craig Mullins, my choice of colors:

Finally, a sucky mouse doodle from imagination. Bleeh! I guess too much Wacom reliance for digital work isn't good though; I just can't seem to control the strokes well enough with the mouse.

Gonna study some Loomis now, hum de dum.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-02-07, 04:42 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "New batch! (Oldest in the top) ..."
Very nice Chrusuer. I'm jelous you're so good.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2006-02-10, 03:17 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "Very nice Chrusuer. I'm jelous you're..."
Dar_Win: Thanks. Don't be jealous, drawing and painting are really all about practice. The more time you invest in it, the better you will get. Of course, "there are better ways to invest time than to spend two hours filling out a background", to quote Craig Mullins.

Just check this thread out if you don't believe me, I'm amazed the images are still around. Geez:

http://www.zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25383

Aaanyway, draw to post. Some Loomis copies and stuff:

Employing the ball drawing method on references:

Some drawings from imagination:

Hum de dum. Perspective got a bit funky. I should really do more of these, and practice harder on capturing larger shapes and forms quickly:

More stuff:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-02-10, 03:26 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Dar_Win: Thanks. Don't be jealous,..."
Wow. Some of these must take ages to do.

I know that this thread is a "Speed Painting" thread, but online the first it seems to be only you contributing. You ought to start up a third thread, again with a certain theme, and a time limit of an hour per picture, and see what people come up with. Just one page of this thread is enough inspiration for most people, let alone 4 pages you never know what might come out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-02-10, 05:23 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Wow. Some of these must take ages to..."
Wow! Very nice stuff.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2006-02-13, 03:08 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Wow. Some of these must take ages to..."
Lenny, thanks. That's not a bad idea at all, some other art forums have things alike that in the form of daily sketchgroups with certain themes (e.g. "The aliens attack", "Walking trees" et cetera). If anyone reading this would consider to contribute on a regular basis, let me know.

Jamesadin, thanks.

My computer decided to die on me. I had the chance to try Windows XP 64, but it refused to let me install a majority of the drivers. I had to revert back to an older OS, and now I'm without scanner drivers again.

Anyway, some quick studies from ref, about 30 minutes (25-35) each, trying to get better at getting the large shapes and the important things down quickly. Gotta do a bunch of these from life as well. Oldest at the top, newest at the bottom:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-02-13, 03:40 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Lenny, thanks. That's not a bad idea at..."
If I was any good, or could find some sort of guide/tutorial, then I'd be jumping at the chance to contribute.

I know there'll be some people willing. Look at the number of current members who posted in the first thread.

----------

These ones you've just posted are amazing!

Am I right in saying that the castle is based upon one of the Crazy Counts castles somewhere in Germany or around that area?

Last edited by Lenny; 2006-02-13 at 03:43 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-02-15, 02:43 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "If I was any good, or could find some..."
New stuff. I should start posting daily, but I'm too lazy to scan so often. Make me.

Lenny, thanks. Not sure where that castle is located, I just picked a random photo on my computer for reference for that one. As for tutorials, I suppose the best thing you could do is to just grab a pencil and start drawing things you see around you. That is, fruits, plants, buildings, people, anything you come across. Build a visual library. Even if you won't remember how to draw a specific person you're practicing, you'll still improve over-all.

I guess this place has a couple of cool painting tutorials and such:

www.sumaleth.com/links

Hmm, a month since this page started apparently. Funky, but I'm not working hard enough.

Oh well, here we go.

Doodle:

From life:

From ref:

Last edited by Chruser; 2006-02-15 at 02:47 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-02-15, 02:47 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "New stuff. I should start posting..."
A dead body? Interesting...

And I like the hands. Interesting to see you contort them into different positions.

Where do you get your inspiration for those you don't draw from life or reference?

EDIT: Okie Dokie. I'll give it a shot. And I'll have a look at that site.

I'm pretty sure that the castle was one of the Crazy Counts. I'll try and find it.

EDIT 2: King Ludwig II of Germany - also known as Mad King Ludwig.

Spent all his gold building 5 absolutely amazing castles. His state ran out of money before the 5th was completed.

He was from Bavaria after all.

EDIT 3: I like these. Not as fun as Triple posts though.

http://www.gregoryferdinandsen.com/M...Down%20(2).jpg

Recognise that pic?

It's of King Ludwig II's Hohenschwangau Castle.

Last edited by Lenny; 2006-02-15 at 02:58 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-02-21, 02:59 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "A dead body? Interesting... And I..."
Very cool find Lenny, I like that view of the castle. My inspiration for the things I don't draw from life or reference? It depends, sometimes I just want to try to get a certain idea down, so I blob color randomly onto a canvas until something I like appears. Imagining what you want to draw and projecting the image in your mind onto the paper before drawing it seems to help a lot too. Usually I start off by looking at an object of some kind, and then I work from that shape and build on new things from there. It's kind of hard to explain.

Wonkiest feet of 2006:

Stuff from today, I really like how the first one came out for some reason:

Buncha' blind contours:

Scary:

Some more studies:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-02-22, 04:59 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Very cool find Lenny, I like that view..."
Hehehehe...you've moved on from hands to feet.

This 'blind contours' thing looks interesting. I'm probably wrong in saying this, but is it when you don't look at what you're drawing at all? Instead you feel the contours of the person's face (in this case) and draw what you feel?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-02-22, 01:08 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Hehehehe...you've moved on from hands..."
whoa that's some nice improvement chruser. I've been getting into drawing again lately aswell. I'll post some stuff later.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2006-02-22, 02:15 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Very cool find Lenny, I like that view..."
Some quick poses sketches with ref

so far the only "painting" I've done, altough it isnt exactly done, there's still alot of rough edges on it. with ref.

stuff i did today, no ref

I've got some more on my pc but alot was lost due to me being stupid. Also have some more classic studies on paper, but I dont have a scanner.

I havent really started painting yet, as I want to get the basics of the body in first. But the skull exercise has given me at least the confidence to start painting more stuff real soon.

I've also started with maya 3d so it's kind of switching between different stuff all the time but it's alot fun learning it all, especially when you start seeing improvement.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2006-02-23, 05:32 AM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "Some quick poses sketches with ref ..."
I've been playing with Maya...well when I say playing, I mean it's been bullying me into submission. After a few months I've finally worked out how one draws the curves...but that's it.

It looks like everyone likes to draw hands and arms...the skull's very good too.

See Chruser, you've already got one person willing to post in a new Speed Painting thread.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-01, 05:49 AM in reply to undeadzombieguy's post starting "Some quick poses sketches with ref ..."
Cool, more participation.
undeadzombieguy: Thanks, I like the arms, and the gestures look promising. Be careful with using too soft brushes for paintings, they're easy to take into habit. Harder brushes require you to understand the planes (and therefore, form) a little better. Keep it up!

Some recent stuff, mostly studies from ref/life. Paintdrawdoodle to post:

Hogarth planes:

Some Bridgman studies:

Marker experiments (mostly from life):

Experiments gone horribly awry:

Quick sketches from Spooge ref:

Yup, that's all for now. Feel free to crit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-03-01, 08:02 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Cool, more participation. :D..."
Your eyes are getting better.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-03-08, 04:51 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Your eyes are getting better."
Thanks Bob.

I've been busy lately, but here's a doodle. More spams coming up soon:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser