Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Fail Tech Support
Posted 2011-09-05, 06:50 AM
I'd like to share some on-going emails between me and my webhost's fail tech support. It drove me to the point that I started laughing uncontrollably because this tech support is such a fail.

Goodlookinguy said:
I've been trying to run a process in the background. It's a java app that's automatically allocating 256MB of RAM when it starts. It runs and appears to have no issues and doesn't seem to be the cause of any CPU throttling. Now, it runs for around 2-3 hours before it suddenly gets killed by the server. Is this problem being caused by it using too much memory, is there a maximum execution time on processes, or something else?
Jeremy said:
Hello Nicholas,
Thank you for contacting support.

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are having. What is the name of the process you are trying to run? We would like to look into the situation.

Thank you,
Jeremy
Level I Tech Support Engineer
Goodlookinguy said:
I am running the process ~/bin/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java

With parameters, -Xmx256M -Xms256M -jar ~/mcs/mcs.jar nogui

I was wanting to run the process while not connected through Secure Shell and didn't want it to run at a high priority. So I ran this line in total.

nohup nice ~/bin/jre1.6.0_27/bin/java -Xmx256M -Xms256M -jar ~/mcs/mcs.jar &

Assuming that the command nice, by default, would have a parameter of 10.

I should mention, I also ran the command using 1024MB of memory and 512MB of memory as well. All acted the same way and ended suddenly in the same time span. So, "-Xmx1024M -Xms1024M" for 1024MB and "-Xmx512M -Xms512M" for 512MB. If that helps at all.
Joshua said:
Dear Customer,

Java cannot be executed on our servers it will have to be executed on your computer. This could be a result of that.

Thank you,
Joshua
Level I Tech Support Engineer
Goodlookinguy said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. Can't be executed as in a ToS violation
or can't be executed like, you think it can't? I had the program running for 2-3 hours without any problems. Then it suddenly got killed by the server.

I unpacked the latest linux binary executable for java into my bin folder. It works, it just gets killed after around 2-3 hour mark.
Tom said:
Hello,
It cannot be executed as in Java is not installed on the server. We run on Linux Apache servers, and Java is not supported here. Therefore filenames with "*.js" extensions cannot be executed, simply because Apache cannot interpret that.

You can only run JavaScript if it is embedded in the actual page script, for example:

<script type="text/javascript"> var fadeimages=new Array() ...... }
this.rotateimage()
}
</script>

This above will be interpreted by the browser, and then displayed.

Be advised we do not have Windows servers, and that ASP is not supported also.

Thank you,

Tom
Level II Tech Support Engineer
Goodlookinguy said:
I feel like I'm talking to tech support who know less about the linux
operating machine and the web than me.

Let me first separate this new confusion that was made ( or maybe has been the cause of the confusion in the first place )
Java = A product by Oracle, previously owned by Sun, that runs virtual byte codes from .jar files
JavaScript = A client-side scripting language used on web pages interpreted through browsers

They are not the same thing. Now that that's out of way.

Let me re-state what the problem is.

1) I am running a linux binary executable. The file is called java. It is located in "***********/bin/jre1.6.0_27/bin"
2) When running this file, it takes the parameters of Xmx ( Set Maximum Heap Size ), Xms ( Set Minimum Heap Size ), and jar ( The file location )
3) java then runs as a background process on the server and automatically allocates the set amount memory.
4) I have run it and seen no CPU throttling during it's runtime and yet after 2-3 hours, the process is killed by the server.

Okay, my question is in regard to why it's getting killed after 2-3 hours of running. That's the information I'm looking for.

- Nicholas Grant

Thoughts anyone?

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2011-09-05 at 08:19 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2011-09-05, 07:52 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "Fail Tech Support"
Reason why i just use an old desktop of mine and made a server from it. ...... webhost are stupid on what is actually happening.
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2011-09-05, 10:54 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "Fail Tech Support"
Being a cocky ass is a sure way to get better results.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-09-05, 12:04 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Being a cocky ass is a sure way to get..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Being a cocky ass is a sure way to get better results.

And the point of this flew over your head. Why am I paying them money when they don't know shit about one of the simplest and most well known VMs. Confusing it with JavaScript, after I clearly state the problem. On top of that, their servers have it installed and they're telling me, oh, we don't have it installed. Yet, hey, they do. Just an old version I didn't want to use.

This is where the frustration lies. Get me? The other responders just sort of throw out and ignore my previous messages. If you were having to teach your own tech support team the difference between Java and JavaScript, you'd be a little angry too. I was very frustrated with them after being up for 20-hours and nothing getting resolved. I came here to vent so that I could cool off and finally go to sleep. Which I did until I abruptly woke up just a few minutes ago. To find to my delight that they hadn't returned a message yet. So now I'm going back to sleep.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2011-09-05, 12:27 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "And the point of this flew over your..."
Maybe you should give your money to someone else.

Regardless, being a cocky ass isn't going to help your situation. It might make you feel better, but it isn't going to get you better service. If anything, you will get worse results.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-09-05, 01:49 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "And the point of this flew over your..."
You're being a total dick.

My first question is, "Why the fuck do you want to run Java on a web server?". You're only telling us half of the story. You should know the importance of specificity, yet you are not explaining anything at all - not to us nor the tech support you are abusing (just because you pay a monthly fee to use a service, it does not mean that it gives you the right to speak to people as if they're below you. These people are trying to diagnose and solve a problem to which you provide incredibly little information).

My second question is, "Who is your host?".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2011-09-05, 03:01 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "You're being a total dick. My first..."
Probably http://www.nouptime.com/

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2011-09-05, 03:58 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Maybe you should give your money to..."
Maybe you should give your money to someone else.

Regardless, being a cocky ass isn't going to help your situation. It might make you feel better, but it isn't going to get you better service. If anything, you will get worse results.
You know, I was nice starting. However, when you run into seemingly brainless morons who don't know their own server setup; And the difference between Java and JavaScript, it is annoying.

Lenny said: [Goto]
You're being a total dick.
Once again, I started out nice. I was annoyed by that last message.

My first question is, "Why the fuck do you want to run Java on a web server?". You're only telling us half of the story. You should know the importance of specificity, yet you are not explaining anything at all - not to us nor the tech support you are abusing (just because you pay a monthly fee to use a service, it does not mean that it gives you the right to speak to people as if they're below you. These people are trying to diagnose and solve a problem to which you provide incredibly little information).
You know Java supports uses outside of home computer use. I have a program listening to a port for incoming information. Nothing wrong with that.

My second question is, "Who is your host?".
Bluehost, a cheap ass shared host, because I'm poor. Doesn't mean the quality of the technicians should be lower than other services though.

kaos said: [Goto]
Probably http://www.nouptime.com/

Thank you for this, relieved some stress from my end.

---
Hopefully this isn't one of those, the service you pay for kinda deals. Cause I haven't had problems with them up until now. And it seems to me that I am now seeing how they really deal with problems, and it's not very well.

I figure they haven't sent me a message back yet because it's Labor Day. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to reveal the end of this.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2011-09-05, 07:10 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "You know, I was nice starting. However,..."
So tell us, what's cookin', Goodlookin'?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2011-09-05, 11:44 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "So tell us, what's cookin', Goodlookin'?"
Quote:
Bluehost, a cheap ass shared host, because I'm poor. Doesn't mean the quality of the technicians should be lower than other services though.
You get what you pay for.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-09-05, 11:50 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "So tell us, what's cookin', Goodlookin'?"
Skurai said: [Goto]
So tell us, what's cookin', Goodlookin'?
Not my head anymore. I am just accepting the fact that most people are of a lower logical cognition than myself. If I was sent this problem, by the second messages sent out and I had root access of the system, I'd have looked around the logs for information about this. Not acted like a dumb ass averting from the statement that it was running for a number of hours.

Now I don't even care anymore since I rewrote the program and compiled a native linux executable for it. Haven't bothered to test it since the morons managed to close off the ports I just had opened, for some reason. No idea why.

---
By the way, did anyone look at these people's name? I don't think they're American. I think I'm being bullshitted with their fake ass names. On top of that, only first name. Very suspicious. I've sent in some other emails before, the names were in the same format and just as cliché American sounding as you can get.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2011-09-06, 11:23 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Not my head anymore. I am just..."
And why are you listening on a port on a web server?

I've had a look at Bluehost, and I notice that they support Perl, Python and Ruby/RoR - socket programming is possible in all three languages, so why not just use one of those?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2011-09-06, 11:27 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Not my head anymore. I am just..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
I am just accepting the fact that most people are of a lower logical cognition than myself.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-09-14, 01:31 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Not my head anymore. I am just..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
I am just accepting the fact that most people are of a lower logical cognition than myself.
Sadly, most people are on a lower logical level than me.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2011-09-14, 03:36 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Sadly, most people are on a lower..."
Sadly, its' grammatically incorrect, yea
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2011-09-14, 08:12 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "Sadly, its' grammatically incorrect,..."
kaos said: [Goto]
its' grammatically incorrect
It's

Lolirony
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-09-15, 02:02 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "It's Lolirony"
Lolirony
Lol irony

Lol irony.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2011-09-15, 02:51 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Lol irony Lol irony."
EABOD kid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-09-15, 07:15 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "EABOD kid"
Poke.
*1dmg*
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2011-09-17, 03:52 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Sadly, most people are on a lower..."
And why are you listening on a port on a web server?

I've had a look at Bluehost, and I notice that they support Perl, Python and Ruby/RoR - socket programming is possible in all three languages, so why not just use one of those?
As for listening to a port on the web server, I am trying out a little personal IM system in combination with other data transfers for my personal game engine.

For what to write it in, Perl and Ruby are disgusting. I'm fine with Python, but I haven't used it in some time.

Maybe you should re-read the sentence before attempting to fix my grammar, dork. Did I mention that I was considered to be of college English grammar, reading, and understanding by the time I was eleven years old? I'm sure I have the paper sitting around in a box, in my room, somewhere. Since I hoard documents.

------------
In other, non-off-topic, news, I still haven't gotten anything back. I'm going to assume they don't want to respond back. I've been too busy to do anything and I don't really give a shit anymore.

...well, I guess I'll go back to doing homework and watching the new It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia season BD I just got.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy