Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Question Big Boards?
Posted 2007-12-19, 09:35 AM
I'm not currently informed what-so-ever, but would the admin ever consider running some sort of advertisement to bring in more activity? I'm sure a company that specalizes in forum traffic like Big-boards could help out the process a little, I searched on there and Zelaron has no registry yet, any thoughts?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-12-19, 05:34 PM in reply to D3V's post "Big Boards?"
We really need something to advertise before we can advertise. What do we advertise? "Come check out our random conversations and daily drama at Zelaron.com!"

It has been talked about, though. I personally think Zelaron shirts or hoodies or something would make good advertisement, but we have to get a store set up for that. I mean, if you go walk around the mall or something, even if only 1 in 100 people that see the shirt decide to see what zelaron.com is, that's still a good bit of incoming traffic.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-11, 01:17 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "We really need something to advertise..."
We'd have to make some sort of silly YouTube video and become famous before we could really sell anything.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-04-11, 06:57 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "We'd have to make some sort of silly..."
Or Zelaron could actually start offering some form of content. You know, making this a website with a forum for your viewing pleasure, rather than some random board floating in the ether with no real purpose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2008-04-11, 07:08 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Or Zelaron could actually start..."
But everyone here is boring.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-11, 09:17 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "But everyone here is boring."
!King_Amazon! said:
But everyone here is boring.
I disagree, I think we have quite a few interesting members.

@D3V- A site like that sounds like it would be a hell hole of unwanted spammers with "advertisements" because the site would be more exposed to the public,,,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-04-11, 09:22 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I disagree, I think we have quite a few..."
-Spector- said:
I think we have quite a few interesting members.
Eh, maybe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2008-04-12, 08:34 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Eh, maybe."
Way to contribute.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-04-12, 08:40 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Way to contribute."
what ever happened to that TV show idea lmao
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-04-12, 10:42 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Or Zelaron could actually start..."
The new portal is to be instantiated soon.

D3V mentioned an idea which has been considered from time to time during the past three years. The basic premise is to allow clans, guilds and project owners (e.g. RPGMaker game authors) to get a sub-forum hosted by us for free, preferably via an application form. Dragoon Elite is an example of a clan hosted by Zelaron.

Over the course of our years in existence, we have hosted six different clans and projects that I can remember. This number would likely be much greater if it was actually possible for our members to find out how to, and why they should get hosted by us.

What can we offer prospective, hosted communities?
  • An out-of-the-box working forum, for free. There will be no need for the owners of our hosted forums to know anything about Apache, PHP or MySQL to get it to work. We'll take care of maintenance (e.g. backups), so all they need to care about is their own community organization. They get to choose their own default forum style, too.

• Instant access to our member pool. Some of our members will be inclined to find out more about the new sub-forum, and may provide useful content. Anyone who attempts to troll amongst, or offend the newcomers will be banned, perhaps indefinitely.

• High ranking in Google. Zelaron has a great Google ranking. Tens of thousands of our threads are indexed. Think about the RPGMaker forum. It has never been officially advertised by Zelaron, but Google has brought in a considerable number of new members based solely upon its thread content. Any hosted forum will attract a lot of guests based on the content of its public threads.

• A Zelaron sub-domain, e.g. communityname.zelaron.com?

• Custom styles created by the hosted community author?

What can hosted communities offer us?
  • An expanded member pool. Because we will share the same user database, members of forums hosted by Zelaron will be likely to venture into unknown territory at some point. Whether they will be frightened by the Flame Forum or stay around until the end of time is unknown, but the prospect of getting new members from an additional source is a positive one.

• Activity. Seeing twice as many new threads upon clicking the New Posts button, and four times as many members logged on at any given point sounds pretty good to me.

• An even better ranking in Google. Alike a chain reaction of dominoes, once you push the first domino, there's no going back.

Ideally, the process of applying for your own hosted forum would be similar to applying for group membership, in which you write a short text explaining the reason why we should host you. Perhaps we should even have a "Get Hosted" button in the forum header.

Something like this should be worth advertising on other websites, such as Something Awful. Thoughts?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-04-12 at 10:56 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-04-12, 01:43 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "The new portal..."
We can't offer webspace on Zelaron because it opens up a significant security hole. Also don't see much point of the subdomain.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-12, 02:02 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "We can't offer webspace on Zelaron..."
WetWired said:
We can't offer webspace on Zelaron because it opens up a significant security hole. Also don't see much point of the subdomain.
No, not webspace in the sense of FTP access. What I mentioned is the creation and hosting of sub-forums similar to Dragoon Elite. The point of the sub-domain is to turn something like http://zelaron.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92 into http://flame.zelaron.com to be easier to remember, forward to other people and so on.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2008-04-12 at 02:08 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2008-04-12, 04:46 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "We really need something to advertise..."
I'll post Zelaron videos on You Tube when I get the chance. In the future.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-04-12, 05:32 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "I'll post Zelaron videos on You Tube..."
And not in the past? You dissapoint me. D:

Hosting communities is a good idea in my opinion. While I would prefer to buy my own domain name and not have my site tied to this forum, you can't deny those are some great benefits to anyone with anything to have a forum for.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-04-12, 06:05 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "And not in the past? You dissapoint me...."
Atnas said:
And not in the past? You dissapoint me. D:
It would be sweet if we could do this! Google made it so on April first. Wait..... April first..... hmmmmmm
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-04-12, 06:28 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "No, not webspace in the sense of FTP..."
Chruser, I think your idea is wonderful.

Anything that brings new activity is great in my book, and that certainly sounds like it could not only bring more activity, but also bring some interesting content to Zelaron. For instance, if some group of people want to host a clan forum on Zelaron for some random game, I'd possibly be interested in trying that game out and potentially joining that clan.

I've also always tended to believe in the philosophy that once we get more activity, it will be easier to bring more activity. The more active we are, and the more we have to offer, the faster activity will rise. We kinda just have to get it started, and then watch it happen.

Anyway, regarding your idea, perhaps we could have it where if a guild of 50 people want to have a guild hosted on Zelaron, they have some special features that perhaps a guild of 5 people wouldn't get. This would encourage people to bring more people to their forum on Zelaron. Basically, the bigger they can make their subforum, the more they can have.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-12, 06:29 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "And not in the past? You dissapoint me...."
Well, I'm not sure what the videos would even entail. You'd have to come up with some fresh content and then do a sort of "See more, but in text at Zelaron!"
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2008-04-12, 06:31 PM in reply to KagomJack's post starting "Well, I'm not sure what the videos..."
If you're going to make a Zelaron video, I'd say you should definitely include some RPGmaker. RPGmaker seems to bring the most members to Zelaron. That's pretty much all we have to offer at the moment.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-04-12, 07:10 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "If you're going to make a Zelaron..."
More 'n likely would. Just need to think of a cool way to make the video. Do something that's a bit of a documentary, minus some of the things that go on here. =x
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

KagomJack

Posted 2008-04-12, 11:03 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Way to contribute."
Thanatos said:
Way to contribute.
Thanks. I try my best.

Not like it's not true.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G