he'd noticed the same thing, and no longer bothers to remove the ants
before heating his food.

How can the ants survive? Surely they must contain at least some
water, which absorbs microwave energy, and is what makes microwave
cooking effective in most foods. Are they simply too small? They're
certainly tiny compared with the wavelength of the microwaves, which
is almost 5 inches. But it seems to me that shouldn't matter: the
ants ought to experience an oscillating electric field which excites
the water molecules in them, regardless of how small they are.
Perhaps they're only safe because they crawl along the metal bottom
and sides of the oven, and would perish if they ventured up onto the
glass dish, where the amplitude of the fluctuating electric field is
greater?

Thank you for allowing me to research your question.

To understand the reason why an ant survives in a microwave oven is to
understand the way a microwave oven works. A microwave oven emits a
form of energy called ‘standing waves”. That is to say that evenly
spaced, stationary waves of energy bombard the turntable (or plate) in
a vertical fashion so that only specific areas of the turntable are
struck by the waves. Everything inside the microwave is not
necessarily exposed to the waves, especially when the turntable is
motionless. This is why you notice that certain portions of your food
are well heated while others remain cold whenever the turntable is not
moving. The sole purpose of the moving turntable is to ensure that all
areas of the food pass through the stationary ‘standing waves”.
Increasing the intensity of the microwave oven doesn’t turn up the
heat, it activates more ‘standing waves” in a given area of space.

The physical size of an object has little to do with its
susceptibility to microwave generated heat. In fact, chemists use
microwave technology to heat sub-micron particles. The ant’s size only
comes into play because he is able to navigate between the ‘standing
waves’ by sensing the areas where there is high volume heat and low
volume heat. You can visualize the patterns of low heat v. high heat
by filling a paper plate with marshmallows and putting them in the
oven with the turntable turned off. After a few seconds you will see a
pattern of melt or blistering on the marshmallows that are exposed
while the others seem unaffected. Additionally, the intensity of the
waves is greater in some areas than in others. You can see this by
putting a pat of butter on the surface of the turntable and another on
the bottom of an overturned paper cup. The one on the cup will melt
long before the one on the turntable, because the wave intensity is
lower near the bottom and sides of the oven than it is at various
points elevated just above the turntable (where food heaped on a is
plate usually located).

A single ant, or even a few ants, can simply walk around between the
waves of energy, making their way from one safe area to the next, and
avoid getting nuked. If, on the other hand, you put a thousand ants in
your microwave and agitate them so that they are running around in a
panic, you will, without a doubt, see many of them turned to toast.

I hope this provides an answer to your question. I look forward to
working with you again in the near future.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-06, 07:36 PM in reply to Grav's post "Why don't ants die in the microwave?"
That's actually very interesting. Ants are SUPERPERCETIVE BEINGS THAT WE MUST BOW TO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-06-06, 07:58 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "That's actually very interesting. Ants..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
That's actually very interesting. Ants are SUPERPERCETIVE BEINGS THAT WE MUST BOW TO.
I thought that was the case with Cockroaches which can survive anything
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2009-06-07, 09:17 AM in reply to Grav's post "Why don't ants die in the microwave?"
Veddy interesting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusionJessifer read his obituary with confusion

Jessifer

Posted 2009-06-07, 09:42 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "I thought that was the case with..."
Cockroaches can take tons of radiation and shit. These guys can sense the energy coming, so it's more about perception and agility than brute undying will! :P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-06-07, 04:28 PM in reply to Grav's post "Why don't ants die in the microwave?"
Reading this and the mentioning of cockroaches reminds me of the giant/fire/soldier ants and radcoaches in fallout 3..

Very interesting to read.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-06-08, 06:42 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "Reading this and the mentioning of..."
Let's harness some ant stem cells and morph into super-human, radiation withstanding beigns.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2011-01-13, 08:55 PM in reply to Grav's post "Why don't ants die in the microwave?"
Just so you guys know, this was a joke.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2011-01-13, 09:54 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Just so you guys know, this was a joke."
That's some good trolling above, but it would have been better and more believable if they had actually said "Radio Waves." Then could have lied about how radio waves work. Let's be honest, how many people don't know microwaves use radio waves? Since it can, for poorly configured houses anyways, cause issues with almost any wireless appliances, including wireless adapters. Really, depending on the radio waves hertz of the microwave and other appliances. I digressed, the troll was still admirable though.

Grav said: [Goto]
Just so you guys know, this was a joke.

Troll post you mean. These are becoming incredibly frequent nowadays. And everyone in that discussion who actually listened to the troll fed it, poor souls.

On the topic of trolls, unless they're done well like the one above, they're just getting to be another annoying part of the interwebs.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2011-01-14, 03:45 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "That's some good trolling above, but it..."
You should check this out then http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co..._guys_i_think/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2011-01-14, 09:42 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "You should check this out then..."
Grav said: [Goto]
You should check this out then http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co..._guys_i_think/

I'm almost completely speechless about that thread. I didn't read very much of it because it was so ridiculous sounding.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2011-01-17, 10:03 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Just so you guys know, this was a joke."
I don't get it.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V