Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Start downloading WoW now!
Posted 2004-11-01, 01:20 PM
This is off the WoW site when you login. Supposedly there will be a "small patch" for those who currently have it, but since you don't..

I suggest downloading NetLimiter to limit your upload so it doesn't destroy your connection.

Here's the process:
Closed Beta accounts are going to be transferred to "Final Stress Test." Today. Lasts 5-7 days approx. Edit: Fileplanet paid subscriber signups NOW!
Then the Final Stress Test accounts are being transferred to Open Beta. (Next week?)
In addition, both Fileplanet and www.worldofwarcraft.com will have a limited amount of signup slots for Open Beta. Then it will begin.
Attached Files
File Type: zip world_of_warcraft_open_beta_installer_downloader.zip (240.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2004-11-01 at 02:29 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 01:33 PM in reply to Grav's post "Start downloading WoW now!"
Open Beta FAQ

What is the open beta?
As World of Warcraft gets closer to completion, we need to conduct another phase of beta testing for final balancing and bug fixing. This phase of testing is the open beta. Many final aspects of the game are being implemented in their most complete form in the open beta, and we will need this time to test these elements as rigorously as possible to ensure that they are completed for the game’s launch.

Will you charge people to play the open beta?
No, the World of Warcraft open beta is absolutely free. Blizzard is not charging a fee for you to play the open beta.

Will I have full access to the World of Warcraft game?
Since our goal is to have as much of the game balanced and tested as possible, you will be able to play the most current version of World of Warcraft. However, because the game is still being optimized, you may experience some lag and performance issues. Please bear with us and remember that although you will be playing a version that seems very polished and complete, it is in fact a beta and will not always play optimally.

Do I have to play in the final stress test if I want to play the open beta?
No, you do not have to play in the final stress test to participate in the open beta. However, if you wish to play in the open beta, you will have to wait until its start is announced, and then visit www.worldofwarcraft.com to begin downloading the open beta client and creating an open beta account.

I don’t want to sign up for the final stress test. Can I sign up for the open beta now instead?
Once the open beta starts, Blizzard will make an announcement on www.worldofwarcraft.com. At that time, you will you be able to download the World of Warcraft client and begin the account creation process. Once that is completed, you can start playing the open beta.

How is the open beta different from the final stress test?
The open beta will begin after the conclusion of the final stress test and will be the most complete version of the game available to date. It will include the content from the closed beta and final stress test, as well as additional features that are slated to appear in the final version of World of Warcraft.

Do I need to go through FilePlanet to get into the open beta?
FilePlanet does indeed have a role in hosting the open beta, and it has a number of open beta accounts to award. However, the majority of open beta accounts will be distributed by Blizzard directly. Once FilePlanet’s accounts are given away, all further accounts will be awarded only through Blizzard. So, if you visit FilePlanet and are told that no more open beta accounts are available there, please go to www.worldofwarcraft.com to secure your open beta slot.

Do I have to be a FilePlanet subscriber to sign up for the open beta at FilePlanet?
No. Anyone with an Internet connection in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States can visit FilePlanet or Blizzard on the day the open beta begins to try to acquire an open beta account. Please note that FilePlanet has a number of open beta accounts to award, but if it exhausts its allotment of keys, you will still be able to visit www.worldofwarcraft.com for a chance to join the open beta.

If I was in the stress test beta, will I get to reuse my old account and characters?
Because we are testing a new version of the game and account-creation process, we will need you to create a new account and new characters to play in the final stress test. Additionally, because the final stress test is a new version of the game, all accounts and characters from the first stress test beta would have been incompatible with the final stress test and were thus deleted.

If I am in the final stress test, will I get to transfer my account and characters from there to the open beta?
Yes, you will be able to use your account and characters in the open beta. You do not need to take any action. Instead, when the final stress test ends, you will be able to continue playing by logging in to the open beta servers.

Will I get to keep my characters from the open beta?
We are still formulating our plans for the characters from the open beta and will provide more information in the near future.

When does the open beta start?
The open beta will begin immediately after the final stress test ends. An exact date is undetermined at this time; however, we expect the open beta to begin approximately five to seven days after the start of the final stress test.

What do I do exactly to get started in the open beta?
Once the open beta starts, visit www.worldofwarcraft.com for further instructions and information on the open beta.

How do I get the open beta if I signed up through FilePlanet?
If you go to FilePlanet to sign up for the open beta when it begins, you will be given an authtentication key and instructions to download the World of Warcraft client from FilePlanet. Please note that FilePlanet has a limited number of keys to award.

What do I do after I download the World of Warcraft client?
After you install World of Warcraft onto your computer, launch the program to be taken to the account-creation site. During the account-creation process, you will be prompted to enter the authentication key that will have been provided to you. After you successfully create your account, you can re-launch World of Warcraft and begin playing in the open beta.

How long will you leave the World of Warcraft client up for download?
Once we have achieved the maximum number of players for the open beta, we will remove World of Warcraft from download. So, if you wish to play in the open beta, we recommend that you download the client and create an account as soon as the open beta begins. After we have reached the maximum server population we need, we will no longer be accepting people into the World of Warcraft open beta.

Will there be a limit to the number of people who can play the World of Warcraft open beta?
Yes, we will have to limit the number of players. However, a maximum number of players has not yet been determined. At this time, we simply recommend that if you wish to play in the open beta that you download the game and create an account as soon as the open beta is ready. Once we fill our servers to capacity, we will remove the World of Warcraft downloader and account-creation pages.

How will I know if I get into the open beta?
If you can download the client and create an account, then you are in the World of Warcraft open beta. After creating an account, you must enter the account name and password you had chosen during the account creation process at the World of Warcraft login screen to play the game.

How long will the open beta last?
There is no predetermined duration for the World of Warcraft open beta. As long as we need to conduct further testing, we will maintain the open beta.

Will I be able to start playing right away?
Yes. When we announce the beginning of the open beta, you will be able to download the game immediately. After creating an account, you will be able to play World of Warcraft.

Will I need to connect to the Internet to play?
Yes, you need to connect to the Internet to take part in the World of Warcraft open beta.

Will there be a Mac version of the open beta available?
Yes. The final stress test and open beta test are for both Mac and PC users.

Who can participate in the final stress test and open beta test?
The final stress test and open beta are available for players in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States.

Why can’t players in other countries participate in the final stress test and open beta test?
The final stress test and open beta test are being conducted for the North American launch servers. We will eventually be conducting open beta tests in Europe and other regions in which we have announced the game’s upcoming availability.

I’m having issues with the Blizzard downloader. Whom do I contact?
If you have issues with the Blizzard downloader, please visit the tech support page at http:// www.worldofwarcraft.com/support .

I’m having issues with the game. Whom do I contact?

Please use the support options located at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/support .

What are the system requirements?

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

* 800 MHz or higher CPU.
* 256 MB or more of RAM.
* 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware Transform and Lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better.
* 4 GB or more of available hard drive space.
* DirectX® 9.0c or above.
* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection.

Mac® System OS X 10.3.5 OS:

* 933 MHz or higher G4 or G5 processor.
* 512 MB RAM or higher. DDR RAM recommended.
* ATI or NVIDIA video hardware with 32 MB VRAM or more.
* 4 GB or more of available hard drive space.
* MacOS X 10.3.5 or newer.
* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 01:57 PM in reply to Grav's post "Start downloading WoW now!"
Nice. I startd the download and atm have a nice and stable 40 mbps. Its going up a little bit too =D
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-11-01, 01:59 PM in reply to Grav's post "Start downloading WoW now!"
My Closed Beta client should still work, after a patch, no?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:01 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "My Closed Beta client should still..."
GravitonSurge (4:00:23 PM): we'll see
GravitonSurge (4:00:26 PM): they havent' said for sure
GravitonSurge (4:00:29 PM): im dling just to be safe
GravitonSurge (4:00:31 PM): I can always cancel it
LoboDiabolico (4:00:36 PM): True.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:08 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "GravitonSurge (4:00:23 PM): we'll see..."
The client that is available for download is not the coming Stress Test client.

We will inform you on the method of getting the new client in the coming days. In the meantime, please be patient. We will be taking down the current client to avoid confusion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:16 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "The client that is available for..."
Too bad WW couldn't host the files on Zelaron just for Clan members to have access to.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:16 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "Too bad WW couldn't host the files on..."
Bandwidth? What's that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:19 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Bandwidth? What's that? o_O"
Bleh I restarted and am now getting 6 kb/s downloads. Had to reboot to install netlimiter T_T
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:20 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Bandwidth? What's that? o_O"
NEW INFO!

Apparently the Final Stress Test will have fileplanet subscriper signups!

Quote:
When does the World of Warcraft final stress test begin?
The final stress test begins on November 1, 2004.

How will I know if I get into the final stress test?
You will be contacted by e-mail letting you know that you do indeed have a spot in the final stress test.

How long will the final stress test last?
The exact duration of the World of Warcraft final stress test is undetermined, but we expect that it will last for approximately five to seven days.

Do I need to sign up for the final stress test before it starts?
No, there are no early signups. When the final stress test begins, signups for it will open at the same time.

Can I sign up for the stress test if I am not a FilePlanet subscriber?
The final stress test is only available to FilePlanet subscribers. However, the open beta phase will begin shortly after the final stress test ends, and is available to anyone with an Internet connection.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:23 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Bandwidth? What's that? o_O"
Vollstrecker said:
Bandwidth? What's that?

Like I said just for Clan Members. Can't be that bad.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:24 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "Like I said just for Clan Members. ..."
2.5 Gigs is very bad, haha.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 02:54 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "2.5 Gigs is very bad, haha."
I've served up worse . As long as I don't sustain it for very long, I'm fine. I would definately need to severely limit the # of DLs, however.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-11-01, 03:18 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I've served up worse :p. As long as I..."
It looks like the Open Beta begins Monday, the 8th.

Fileplanet has a thing where it says that "FilePlanet subscribers get access to the Open Beta 1 week early".

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-11-01, 03:32 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "It looks like the Open Beta begins..."
So this thingy isn't for open beta? well thats good, cause it is taking a little under 2 days to download.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum

Posted 2004-11-01, 03:37 PM in reply to platnum's post starting "So this thingy isn't for open beta? ..."
Clarification:

This -IS- the Open Beta client, as far as I know. It is the same client as the Final Stress Test.

Also, Closed Beta testers will be SEGREGATED from Fileplanet subscripers, even into Open Beta.

So you can't play with me on the closed beta servers, for example. But I could make an open beta account and play with you.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 03:52 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Clarification: This -IS- the Open..."
Right, but my Fileplanet character would progress into the regular Open Beta, from the sound of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-11-01, 03:53 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Right, but my Fileplanet character..."
Right, but we would never see each other because there are seperate servers. Same client though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2004-11-01, 03:55 PM in reply to platnum's post starting "So this thingy isn't for open beta? ..."
Thats normal. YOu did get netlimiter right?

I put my cap at about 25k for upload and I'm getting a good download. When i lowered my upload my dl slowed down -_-.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sovereign

Posted 2004-11-01, 04:00 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Thats normal. YOu did get netlimiter..."
I'm downloading from fileplanet, but yes I would use netlimiter.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav