Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Will this HD fit my computer?
Posted 2009-02-21, 12:34 PM
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...IN#detailspecs

I'm going for that Hard drive, i want to take out my old Barracuda 7200.7 100Gig and put in that one, with linux. Would my computer work with that hard drive?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-21, 12:56 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post "Will this HD fit my computer?"
You need to give the specs on your computer or if you know your more about your HDD, give more information about that. Information like what kind it is and the connectors it's using like UATA, SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS, IDE, etc. Then maybe give your motherboard specs. Really, if you just get the model, because I bet it's not custom, we/I can look it up.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-02-21 at 01:03 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-22, 11:31 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "You need to give the specs on your..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
You need to give the specs on your computer or if you know your more about your HDD, give more information about that. Information like what kind it is and the connectors it's using like UATA, SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS, IDE, etc. Then maybe give your motherboard specs. Really, if you just get the model, because I bet it's not custom, we/I can look it up.
LOL, i could've sworn i put my model up there :P anyways, its an e-machines W3107. lol, its not custom so you can look it up. I've added Ram identicle to the first one that came with it, and i've had to switch the pwr supply once, but to an identicle model.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWolfturn enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-22, 12:07 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "LOL, i could've sworn i put my model up..."
I couldn't find the specifications I was looking for by looking up the model. I need you to download "CPU-Z" and find the Motherboard/Mainboard Name.

Here's a picture of what you need to get me.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-22, 01:20 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I couldn't find the specifications I..."
I couldn't find the specifications I was looking for by looking up the model. I need you to download "CPU-Z" and find the Motherboard/Mainboard Name.

Here's a picture of what you need to get me.

Crap, is there anyway I can get the info without downloading CPU-Z? Because, the current HD's I have are busted... .... Thats why i'm buying a new one. Does the motherboard have a sticker on it with a name, and can you look it up from that? Or something? I'm not at my house atm, so i cant check out the MotherBoard...

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-22, 01:37 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Crap, is there anyway I can get the..."
Wolfturn said: [Goto]
Crap, is there anyway I can get the info without downloading CPU-Z? Because, the current HD's I have are busted... .... Thats why i'm buying a new one. Does the motherboard have a sticker on it with a name, and can you look it up from that? Or something? I'm not at my house atm, so i cant check out the MotherBoard...

Sorry, you need to download it. If you can't, take a picture of the back of the messed up HDD.

Does the back of the HDD look like one of these.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-22, 01:43 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Sorry, you need to download it. If you..."
Sorry, you need to download it. If you can't, take a picture of the back of the messed up HDD.

Does the back of the HDD look like one of these.

http://dump.nrgs.org/ext/hdd_example_one.jpg
http://dump.nrgs.org/ext/hdd_example_two.jpg
If your talking about the old hard drive then yes it looks like example_one. If your talking about the new one, check out the link i put in the beggining of the post. Thats the hard drive i'm buying.

Btw, what does HDD stand for? I know that HD == Hard Drive... Does HDD == Hard drive Disk?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-22, 02:45 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "If your talking about the old hard..."
If your talking about the old hard drive then yes it looks like example_one. If your talking about the new one, check out the link i put in the beggining of the post. Thats the hard drive i'm buying.

Btw, what does HDD stand for? I know that HD == Hard Drive... Does HDD == Hard drive Disk?

Yes, Hard Drive Disk, HDD. I use HDD with Hard Drives to differenciate between High Definition (HD) and Hard Drive Disk (HDD).

Okay, that HDD you were looking at should work for your computer.

The top picture was PATA and the bottom one was SATA. I figured it would most likely be one of these. Ultra ATA is basically PATA with faster speeds, and your HDD might be UATA already.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-22, 02:53 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yes, Hard Drive Disk, HDD. I use HDD..."
Yes, Hard Drive Disk, HDD. I use HDD with Hard Drives to differenciate between High Definition (HD) and Hard Drive Disk (HDD).

Okay, that HDD you were looking at should work for your computer.

The top picture was PATA and the bottom one was SATA. I figured it would most likely be one of these. Ultra ATA is basically PATA with faster speeds, and your HDD might be UATA already.
Sweetness thanks GLG just 1 thing, are you by any chance NRGefX on youtube? I just saw a re-format video by someone that has that username.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-22, 03:33 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Sweetness thanks GLG just 1 thing, are..."
Sweetness thanks GLG just 1 thing, are you by any chance NRGefX on youtube? I just saw a re-format video by someone that has that username.
Nope, I'm "Goodlookinguy".

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-22, 04:02 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Nope, I'm "Goodlookinguy"."
It's Hard Disk Drive.

On another note, quite a few members on a Swedish hardware community that I visit (Sweclockers) have reported that their Barracuda drives have broken after a few months of usage. I suppose it could be some random fluke, but either way, I'd rather go for a 600+ GB Caviar series drive by Western Digital (or a similar drive if that particular model doesn't fit your system) for an extra $20 or so: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136298

Oh, and if you're into performance, ignore those pesky Raptors: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship

(I read a newer article a few months ago in which the author used a slightly faster SSD setup, but I was unable to find it again.)
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-02-22 at 04:08 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-02-22, 04:09 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "It's Hard Disk Drive. On another..."
Hey Chruser, I'm going to be getting a Seagate Cheetah 600GB 15000RPM SAS HDD soon. Have you heard anything on that? Isn't that top notch performance?

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-22, 04:23 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Hey Chruser, I'm going to be getting a..."
Yes, that should be very fast! I've considered to purchase three to four inexpensive 7200 RPM drives for storage in a month or two, but I'll probably end up using RAID 0 on them. If you're up for it, we should compare drive performance.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2009-02-22, 07:40 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "It's Hard Disk Drive. On another..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
It's Hard Disk Drive.

On another note, quite a few members on a Swedish hardware community that I visit (Sweclockers) have reported that their Barracuda drives have broken after a few months of usage. I suppose it could be some random fluke, but either way, I'd rather go for a 600+ GB Caviar series drive by Western Digital (or a similar drive if that particular model doesn't fit your system) for an extra $20 or so: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136298

Oh, and if you're into performance, ignore those pesky Raptors: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship

(I read a newer article a few months ago in which the author used a slightly faster SSD setup, but I was unable to find it again.)
I didin't quite understand what you meant by "Oh, and if you're into performance, ignore those pesky Raptors: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship"

Anyways...

With the HDD your talking about on newegg.com work on my PC? If so, 640 gigs sounds pretty nice! Lol, it sure beats the heck out of my 160 gigs, but there has to be a catch.. Why is the 160 gig HDD so expensive then? I'd rather buy a 160 gig HDD thats fast than a 640 Gig that takes forever to search.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-22, 08:37 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "I didin't quite understand what you..."
I didin't quite understand what you meant by "Oh, and if you're into performance, ignore those pesky Raptors: http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship"

Anyways...

With the HDD your talking about on newegg.com work on my PC? If so, 640 gigs sounds pretty nice! Lol, it sure beats the heck out of my 160 gigs, but there has to be a catch.. Why is the 160 gig HDD so expensive then? I'd rather buy a 160 gig HDD thats fast than a 640 Gig that takes forever to search.
By performance, he means speed. The Seagate Cheetah 600GB 15000RPM SAS HDD is more than double the speed of the drive your getting. Those drives he was taking about are probably more than the one you're getting as well. 7200RPM is standard. 10000RPM is standard for servers. And 15000RPM is for people who want really fast servers or who like to show off.

What Chruser was saying is that if you pay $20 more, you could get something far larger. If the RPM on the drive is also 7200, then there is no difference in speed. However, the drive Chruser pointed out is SATA so you probably don't have any connection ports for it, or your system board doesn't support it.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-02-22 at 08:40 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-02-23, 07:35 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "By performance, he means speed. The..."
As a general rule of thumb, be careful with new Seagate drives - after acquiring Maxtor, they dropped their more expensive manufacturing processes and adopted the cheaper Maxtor processes, which has lead to a massive decrease in quality. The entire range of 1.5TB drives is faulty because of the change in manufacturing processes.

Saying that, my terrabyte drive is OK, as are my two 250s (and my two 160s, but they're three years old), and all of them are Barracuda's.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-02-23, 08:13 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "By performance, he means speed. The..."
By performance, he means speed. The Seagate Cheetah 600GB 15000RPM SAS HDD is more than double the speed of the drive your getting. Those drives he was taking about are probably more than the one you're getting as well. 7200RPM is standard. 10000RPM is standard for servers. And 15000RPM is for people who want really fast servers or who like to show off.

What Chruser was saying is that if you pay $20 more, you could get something far larger. If the RPM on the drive is also 7200, then there is no difference in speed. However, the drive Chruser pointed out is SATA so you probably don't have any connection ports for it, or your system board doesn't support it.
Aaw so it definetly can't fit on my computer :P anyways, i guess i'll be ordering the one from tigerdirect then. Thanks

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-23, 08:49 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "As a general rule of thumb, be careful..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
As a general rule of thumb, be careful with new Seagate drives - after acquiring Maxtor, they dropped their more expensive manufacturing processes and adopted the cheaper Maxtor processes, which has lead to a massive decrease in quality. The entire range of 1.5TB drives is faulty because of the change in manufacturing processes.

Saying that, my terrabyte drive is OK, as are my two 250s (and my two 160s, but they're three years old), and all of them are Barracuda's.
Is there another brand of HDD's you reccommend? I would like better quality over space. (i don't use that much space), and speed is nice of course. But, of course price is important too.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn

Posted 2009-02-23, 01:24 PM in reply to Wolfturn's post starting "Is there another brand of HDD's you..."
Personally, I'd still choose Seagate drives over the others, but if you want to look, then you won't go wrong with Hitachi or Western Digital.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-02-23, 03:39 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Personally, I'd still choose Seagate..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
Personally, I'd still choose Seagate drives over the others, but if you want to look, then you won't go wrong with Hitachi or Western Digital.
Ok! Great, because I had already ordered the Seagate Drive. From what some of the people say on the site(tigerdirect), it looks like a pretty fast, quiet drive. I hope it lives up to its expectations.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wolfturn