Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

My 8 Week Strength Training Journal
Posted 2008-11-05, 03:31 PM
For the last 6 months i've been training each individual body part on its own day. and i've found that both my size and strength gains have almost come to a complete stop. so i've designed a new training plan that is based around powerlifting (adding Biceps, Triceps, Calves & Shoulders in where I can).

(Keep in mind i'm 150lb's and 11%BF it's small i know :P but 6 months ago i started out at 120lb's so i've done okay )

The reason i've chosen to do this is because i'm dissapointed in the progress of my PR on both the bench press (127) and the squat(176.5).. I've never really bothered on deadlifts, but i figure if i'm going to improve my squat by a hell of a lot then i need to work on my lowerback as well. If you guys have any questions or feedback on my routine feel free to throw it at me.

Here's my routine;

MONDAY S/R
squat 6*8
bench press 6*8
dips 5*8
skull crushers 5*8
calf raises 6*10
shoulder raises 6*8
ab crunches 5*15

WEDNESDAY
squat 6*8
deadlift 6*8
rows 6*8
preacher curl 5*8
barbell curl 5*8
ab crunches 5*15

FRIDAY
squat 6*8
bench press 6*8
dips 6*8
skull crushers 6*8
military press 4*8
calf raises 6*10
ab crunches 5*15

Weeks 1-3 & 5-7 are above, weeks 4 & 8 i will be switching to higher rep sets with lighter weights for all my powerlifts.

NOTES: i will not be training to failure on squats, tuesday and thursday are light cardio days.

...Anyway , post your feedback since i'm curious on what you guys think.. i'll also be posting my best lifts at the end of each week.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

PureRebel

Posted 2008-11-05, 03:47 PM in reply to PureRebel's post "My 8 Week Strength Training Journal"
A few things you need to keep in consideration:

Quote:
(Keep in mind i'm 150lb's and 11%BF it's small i know :P but 6 months ago i started out at 120lb's so i've done okay )
Building muscle and size does not come by just drastically lifting weights. You will get NOWHERE by just lifting alone.

You MUST eat correctly. You must keep your intake high in nutrients, and ESPECIALLY high in protein. Somebody your size should be consuming about 225-250g of Protein per day to help build on that smaller size of yours.

Another thing you could consider which isn't required is Creatine. You need to be very careful and please consult somebody with expeiernce with this before you start taking it. Creatine can help build some water weight and just general mass, along with protein it is a good combination.

I would recommend taking a scoop of muscle milk in the morning along with some whole grain cereal. You need to make sure and take another serving scoop before you work out atleast 15-20 minutes before working out. And another 1 1/2 - 2 scoops after working out.

Also multivitamins are essential. Without all of these in combination, you can't really expect to gain any mass and stay healthy.

I'll critique your workout routine more indepth later, but I would break your 3 days a week of working out into three colums.

Chest/Arms one day (Biceps,Tris,Shoulders,Back)

Core one day: (Squats, squats, squats, crunches, lower back)

Legs: (Cardio included, quads, calves, ham, lunges)

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-05, 04:14 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "A few things you need to keep in..."
I'm not as experienced in giving advice when it comes to this subject, but I'll tell you what I know.

Nobody cares how much you can bench! It is not about numbers, but form. You aren't to feel disappointed with your bench and squat, instead worry more that your form is dead on. Perfect form means you can do additional weight (through my experience).

My friend told me the best way to build mass is to surprise your body with something that just tears it down to pieces. If you are leaving the gym feeling great, you didn't do anything. If you leave the gym feeling like if you look at another weight you're going to puke, then odds are you did something right. There is a threshhold that you have to break in order to build muscle. It's that point in which your mind and body are telling you one more and you're done, thats where you need to kick into "I want to get big" mode and kick some ass. Just lifting till it feels good just makes you tired, break that thresh hold then you will know what "feels" good.

When me and my friend do the gym we hardly ever do the same thing. We are always changing it up. It's always a surprise to your body, it doesn't know what you're going to do that day.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2008-11-05, 04:17 PM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I'm not as experienced in giving advice..."
Exactly, always change your routine around as well, I'd say keep them clumped together as a collective whole, but in that innercircle you should always mix things up so that your body doesn't grow used to each method of working out.

When doing lifts you want to focus on one specific area, just burn it out until you can't move that specific muscle anymore, like when I curl, I keep the repitions going until I cannot move my arm at all, push out every rep that you possibly can until you cannot move anymore, rotate to the other arm, keep continuing this process; When you hit the point where both arms will not move, take a 5 minute break and then continue.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-11-05, 04:26 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Exactly, always change your routine..."
... its not so much the amount i can lift, but my lack of progress. since i train by myself and dont use a spotter its alot more difficult to pump out those last two reps that make the previous reps seem like they were nothing but tiny weights. and kazilla, i always make sure i use strict form, the only time i cheat is when i try to bust through the last rep / negative rep. i've always been training for more size than anything, i'm just lacking in the strength department and i've decided and i need to change it..

oh and, its not like i'm unaware of changing my routine, i have done alot of research on body building and lifting, the body prefers routine so once you give it a routine and it gets accustomed to it then it isnt going to change much after that. thats why with this routine every four weeks i will be switching to lighter weights and heavier weights to shock my muscles.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPureRebel enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

PureRebel