Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Ask America votes split 50-50 on gay marriage
Posted 2010-10-04, 12:15 AM
Ask America votes split 50-50 on gay marriage

By Laura E. Davis laura E. Davis – Sun Oct 3, 12:58 pm ET

Although economic issues seem to be the highest priority for most people as we lead up to the midterm elections, the debate over gay marriage is nonetheless hitting a turning point. Two recent polls were the first to find majority support for same-sex couples having marriage rights.

Gay marriage is legal in five states (Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, Vermont and New Hampshire) and in Washington, D.C. But each of those states allowed the practice only after courts or legislatures stepped in. A popular vote on gay marriage has never resulted in legalizing the unions.

The battle for what pro-gay marriage activists call "marriage equality" has also made significant strides in court recently. In July, a judge in Massachusetts declared the Defense of Marriage Act, which Congress passed in 1996, unconstitutional. The act denies federal benefits to gay and lesbian couples that get married. Then in August, a federal judge in California ruled that a voter initiative called Proposition 8, which barred gay marriage in the state, also violated the Constitution.

Both judges put a "stay" on their rulings, which is like putting them on hold. This means that gay married couples in Massachusetts don't receive legal benefits, and gay couples in California can't get married.

But marriage isn't the only area of gay rights where the courts have ruled in favor of gay activists lately. The debate over ending the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, which forbids gays and lesbians from serving openly, has come to the fore in a few venues and even gotten the attention of pop star Lady Gaga.

Last month, a federal judge in California declared the military's policy unconstitutional and may order the military to stop enforcing it any day now. A few weeks later, a judge in Washington ruled that a lesbian who had been discharged from the Air Force Reserve must be reinstated because her dismissal violated her constitutional rights.

Any one of those court cases could wind up at the U.S. Supreme Court.

Sandwiched between the two "don't ask, don't tell" rulings was a Senate vote on repealing the policy. It was voted down, but not before singer Lady Gaga appeared at a rally in Maine, home to two moderate GOP senators whose votes Democrats were courting. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has said he plans to bring the repeal vote again after the Nov. 2 elections. and a report on the effects of ending the policy is due to Defense Secretary Robert Gates on Dec. 1.

Amid all this activity, Ask America has been collecting people's thoughts on the issue. As of Sunday morning, more than 17,000 responses had come in, and the vote was split 50-50.

The question generated more than 1,200 comments. Yahoo! user lamme, who voted in favor of gay marriage, said, "If you don't believe gay marriage is right, then don't have one. Leave the gays who wish to marry alone. Can someone explain how gay marriage hurts the straight community?"

User Jen, who voted "No," commented: "I will tell you why I care; because it is ruining the family unit and the downfall of our civilization. Men and women have separate, distinct roles in life...they should be upheld."

People on both sides of the issue expressed one other opinion that comes up fairly often in the debate: that the government should just stay out of the marriage business altogether.

"The Constitution does not define marriage. All unions should be civil unions. Marriage is a religious ceremony," Chet Askew, who voted "Yes," said.

Terry voted "No" but said, "Marriage is defined as between a man and a woman. Plus, government should not be involved in this process period."

What do you think?

Also present in the gay marriage debate is whether or not full marriage rights nationwide for same-sex couple are inevitable. Polls show there is a significant age gap in feelings about the issue; younger people tend to be for it compared to older people. So the logic goes that eventually a clear majority will be in favor.

"This battle is over," David Boies, one of the lawyers who worked to get California's Proposition 8 overturned, said at a panel discussion in New York City on Saturday. "It's just a question of how soon people get equal rights."

But Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage, which advocates keeping marriage between a man and a woman, had a different take. He maintained that the popular opinion of people who are not "elite" is still overwhelmingly in favor of leaving marriage as is.

"You're ultimately going to lose at the Supreme Court," he told Boies, adding that if Boies doesn't, Congress would push for another federal marriage amendment to define marriage as between one man and one woman.

More than 38,000 people weighed in on this topic as of Sunday morning on Ask America, with 62 percent saying that it's only a matter of time before gay marriage becomes legal in all states.

Are they right?

Cast your vote in the Ask America portal.

Keep up with Ask America: Follow our "video ninja" on the Ask America blog and on Twitter: http://twitter.com/askamericavan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_askame...n-gay-marriage :admin:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-10-04, 04:27 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Ask America votes split 50-50 on gay..."
Q: How many voted?
A: Two
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-10-04, 10:39 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "Q: How many voted? A: Two"
Gay marriage is the biggest ball of media FLUFF ever.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hayduke

Posted 2010-10-04, 10:40 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Ask America votes split 50-50 on gay..."
I feel that if gay people want to be as miserable as straight people, go for it.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-10-04, 11:06 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I feel that if gay people want to be as..."
I divide lawmakers/politicians into two categories for this type of subject matter

1. On the one had there are those that believe something and work into making it a law to force others to live the same way

1. On the other hand there are those that believe something but also realize that it's not necessary to make others live how they believe

In certain situations type 2 is necessary. I mean I don't believe citizens should have ready access to plutonium for example, and it's legitimate to believe that others should have to live the same way. For things like gay marriage, or marijuana, or what you have it's lame to say "I don't like or want that, so no one should."

I guess people have always been that way. It's kinda the same as religious intolerance years ago... It's a "live and let live" or "oppress and convert" sort of difference - but now it's just migrated from the theocracy to democracy
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2010-10-04, 11:57 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "I divide lawmakers/politicians into two..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
1. On the one had there are those that believe something and work into making it a law to force others to live the same way

1. On the other hand there are those that believe something but also realize that it's not necessary to make others live how they believe
Cain and Able

Thats not just lawmakers and politicians my friend. Thats humanity as a whole. Lets expand even further, much past the point of gay marriage.

1. Those who believe that cultivation is the BEST way to live and work into making it a lifestyle and force others to live the same way in a society where you must play your role. Then if you don't you are at the very least shunned, at the worst exterminated.

2. Those who believe that they are living right (cultivation, herding, hunting, gathering) but realize that this is not the only way to live, just what may be best for them at that moment.

Which group would you prefer to be? Which group are we currently in?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hayduke

Posted 2010-10-10, 05:44 PM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "Gay marriage is the biggest ball of..."
I don't get why straight people have a right to vote about it. It doesn't effect straight people in any way, and if they didn't have the right to vote about it, then it wouldn't be a question.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-10-10, 05:58 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I don't get why straight people have a..."
I think it revolves around religion. Something like it's un-christian or some shit. I think marriage itself is a religious thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Hayduke

Posted 2010-10-11, 02:21 AM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "Cain and Able Thats not just..."
I kind of touched on that by drawing parallels to religious leaders of the past, but I don't understand what exactly you're suggesting - maybe your example betrays you. You seem to think that someone should be able to live in a society which cultivates the land and not put in their part (i.e. maybe you want to be a hunter/gatherer). That's fine if you want to do that but don't let me see you at kroger.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2010-10-11, 07:46 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Ask America votes split 50-50 on gay..."
idk why people say gays cannot join the army they should have every right to fight for their country, and its not like they are joining to be around all the guys anyway
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Focused_Jesus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenFocused_Jesus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Focused_Jesus

Posted 2010-10-11, 09:12 AM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "I think it revolves around religion...."
Hayduke said: [Goto]
I think it revolves around religion. Something like it's un-christian or some shit. I think marriage itself is a religious thing.
It might be. We'd have to look into it, it goes so far back. It might have started religious, it might have started political. Warlords and what-not.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-10-11, 09:15 AM in reply to KagomJack's post "Ask America votes split 50-50 on gay..."
Regis and Kelly is on, right now. They're talking about homosexuality versus everyone else. They decided to compare homosexuals to jews during the holocaust.
"Back then it was like "Jew! Jew! Jew!" now it's like "Gay! Gay! Gay!" Or "Homo! Homo!""

...I'm sorry, but... wow.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-10-21, 05:49 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Regis and Kelly is on, right now...."
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=51000
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chrystalia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzChrystalia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Chrystalia