Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

AG Opinion: No Execution for 9/11 Plotters
Posted 2008-03-17, 07:43 PM

Quote:
By PIERRE THOMAS, JASON RYAN and THERESA COOK
March 14, 2008
Font Size

Attorney General Michael Mukasey suggested Friday that he believes the alleged 9/11 plotters held at Guantanamo Bay should not be executed if convicted.

Mukasey Makes First Trip to Guantanamo "I kind of hope they don't get it," Mukasey said after a speech at the London School of Economics. "Because many of them want to be martyrs, and it's kind of like the conversation … between the sadist and the masochist."

"The masochist says hit me and the sadist says no, so I am kind of hoping they don't get it," he said.

In February, the Pentagon charged six of the 9/11 conspirators, including the alleged mastermind Khalid Sheik Mohammed.

The others: Walid Bin Attash, Ramzi Binalshibh, Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, Mustafa al Hawsawi -- who the government claims is a key financier for the attacks -- and Mohammed al Kahtani, who is alleged to have been the 20th hijacker on United flight 93 but was denied entry into the United States at the Orlando International Airport.

Mukasey told the London audience that he would not speak to the legality of the death penalty, saying, "We have rather a different society, we have rather different traditions" in the United States. The European Union, of which the United Kingdom is a member, is opposed to the use of capital punishment in all cases.

Of those charged in connection with the Sept. 11 attacks, "one of them at least is proud enough of it to have written to his wife that he thinks he is innocent because it was only 3,000," Mukasey said. "If those are not poster children for the death penalty, I don't know who is."

Story
US to Seek Death Penalty in 9/11 CaseMukasey made clear the statements are his personal opinion, and heavily qualified them.

"In a way, I kind of hope, from a personal standpoint, and I can say this because the military commissions will be run by the Department of Defense not by the Justice Department -- although we are participating with them, and helping them in the prosecution, but it will be run by the Department of Defense," he said.

Still, the statement seems at odds with Bush administration policy that broadly supports the death penalty. The record suggests the administration believes capital punishment is the most appropriate penalty for terrorists convicted of killing Americans.

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/DOJ/sto...4453816&page=1

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-03-17, 08:36 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post "AG Opinion: No Execution for 9/11..."
I hope they don't get the death penalty either, but this is because I am unconditionally opposed to the death penalty.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-18, 04:57 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I hope they don't get the death penalty..."
While I am not unconditionally opposed to the death penalty, I do believe this would be the "easy" way out for them. Let them rot in jail. Now, if only we could put them in a cell with "Bubba", without them being killed. Would Allah still love them after they'd taken up the butt?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2008-03-18, 06:31 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "While I am not unconditionally opposed..."
I agree with MJ. I think the whole "you can't kill, but if you do something horrible, we can kill you and it's okay" argument seems stupid to me. There are some circumstances of course that it could apply to be okay in my eyes, but this is not one of them.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-18, 08:09 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I agree with MJ. I think the whole "you..."
If you kill someone then you should be killed. An eye for an eye, I say.

I think this would drastically decrease the amount of murders out there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-18, 08:39 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "If you kill someone then you should be..."
That may be true, but you also have to rule in stuff like accidental murders, vehicular manslaughter, wreckless driving that casued a wreck which resulted in death. What if you kill somebody in self defense? There's millions of variables that makes it too complicated on either side.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-18, 08:43 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "That may be true, but you also have to..."
Hammurabi's Code is outdated...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-03-18, 09:08 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Hammurabi's Code is outdated..."
An eye for an eye just leaves the whole world blind.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-18, 10:00 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "That may be true, but you also have to..."
D3V said:
That may be true, but you also have to rule in stuff like accidental murders, vehicular manslaughter, wreckless driving that casued a wreck which resulted in death. What if you kill somebody in self defense? There's millions of variables that makes it too complicated on either side.
I'm talking about cold-blooded murder where it has been proven in the court of law. If you willingly take somebody's life, yours should be taken, too. How would that not decrease the amount of 1st and 2nd degree murders? If people know they will be lethally punished for murder, why would they go through with it in the first place?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-18, 10:33 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I'm talking about cold-blooded murder..."
Quote:
How would that not decrease the amount of 1st and 2nd degree murders? If people know they will be lethally punished for murder, why would they go through with it in the first place?
Couldn't you just give them life in jail, wouldn't that be the same decrease in Murders.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-03-18, 10:36 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Couldn't you just give them life in..."
There are so many technicalities and loopholes in the 'life in jail' sentence. Announcing that one will be lethally punished should he/she take a life is a much stronger stance than life in jail.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-18, 10:40 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "There are so many technicalities and..."
I know what you're saying, and we're going to disagree and probably never change each others minds about it, I just feel that if you're going to outlaw murdering people, then don't by hypocritical in the judicial system by doing so as punishment. I think most inmates would agree that Life in jail (or multipule sentances of it) are worse than just being axed off.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-03-18, 11:14 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I know what you're saying, and we're..."
Tell that to a daughter who's mother was raped, tortured and dismembered.

In this case I don't nessicarily think the death penalty is proper, but I am just certain that there is cases in which the death penalty is justified.

Your arguement is that the government should not be allowed to kill someone for commiting a crime or crimes, when it is a crime to kill someone outside of the government.

Then by this reasoning why the fuck is it ok for the government to steal earned income from working people to give it to people that do not earn it. When all along if it was a private organization doing this someone would be imprisioned.

I smell a double standard.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-03-18, 12:04 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Tell that to a daughter who's mother..."
Quote:
Then by this reasoning why the fuck is it ok for the government to steal earned income from working people to give it to people that do not earn it. When all along if it was a private organization doing this someone would be imprisioned.

That argument would take this thread into an entirely different direction.. And it's not stealing. I mean if you don't like police, fire departments, public libraries, paved roads and public schooling then give up your citizenship and go live in fucking Congo,Africa

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-03-18, 02:10 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That argument would take this thread..."
They earn it bro. They do not apply to my rant, but you are right that's OT.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-03-18, 03:07 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "They earn it bro. They do not apply to..."
I say go old school, put a sponge on there head and zap away!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-03-18, 03:23 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "I say go old school, put a sponge on..."
I'm against the death penalty. Never is it right to take another human's life. (but if it's an accident or in self defense it isn't a crime.)

Why should the law commit a crime?

Does not compute.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-18, 03:52 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Tell that to a daughter who's mother..."
Adrenachrome said:
Tell that to a daughter who's mother was raped, tortured and dismembered.
If you're looking to an emotionally traumatized person for logic and sanity, you're looking in the wrong place. And when dealing with something as grave as capital punishment, arguments should be rational rather than purely emotional.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-18, 09:24 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "If you're looking to an emotionally..."
Mjordan2nd said:
If you're looking to an emotionally traumatized person for logic and sanity, you're looking in the wrong place. And when dealing with something as grave as capital punishment, arguments should be rational rather than purely emotional.
Good point, but tell us how it would be irrational to sentence to death a person who raped, plundered, and murdered a person or persons, dna/video/ eye witness evidence, and a confession to said crimes. Agreed life in prison would be far more tortureous for them, but why should we spend the money to keep a person like that alive(questionmark, another keyboard dead)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-03-19, 01:15 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "That may be true, but you also have to..."
D3V said:
I agree. If someone was pointing a gun at my face and was about to kill me and I have a knife in my hand, I would stab him in my self defense. Afterwords, I would be killed for killing the man that would have killed me. Does that make any sense?
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin