Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Exclamation Custom Built Computer?????
Posted 2004-04-13, 06:57 PM
So, I Was wondering if you guys could give me stats for a really good custom built computer for less then 1k. I had a pretty good idea, but I just want some suggestions.
I was thinking around atleast a
- 2.5 ghz P4 or AMD Athlon equilevant to a p4(which ever is better I dont now)
- 512mb ram,
- 40 or 80 GIG hdd,
- dont know about sound cards(would like to now whats worth my money)
- Radeon 9200 graphic card
- possibly a DVD Rom/ Burner

So is that good and less then 1k????

i already have pretty god speakers, cd burner and moniter, but may need to replace.

All feedback is welcome.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-04-13, 07:12 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post "Custom Built Computer?????"
Ya, you can build that for a good bit under 1k. Check www.newegg.com for parts.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-04-13, 07:14 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Ya, you can build that for a good bit..."
the more important question is: Is it a good pc???i think yes, but wanna make sure. And which is better: Pentiums or AMD Athalons?

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-04-13, 08:08 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "the more important question is: Is it a..."
Pentium 4's are better for gaming imho. Athlons are still good though. And i woudl recommend going with Nvidia vid cards. Ive been hearing bad things about the radeons lately. for under 1k or so,m you can get a good pc, but nothing GREAT.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-04-13, 08:36 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Pentium 4's are better for gaming imho...."
I would go with AMD over Pentium. I haven't done much comparison with the Athlon 64s, but comparing a Pentium and a similarly priced AMD XP shows the XP owning with even a slower processing rate.

I have a friend who has had some problems with his Radeon, but I still like them better than nVidia cards.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-04-13, 09:05 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "I would go with AMD over Pentium. I..."
I love my Radeon. ATI has always been reliable to me. Stick with them, and fuck Nvidia.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-04-14, 04:13 PM in reply to uncapped's post starting "I love my Radeon. ATI has always been..."
okay, well, remove the cost barrier i set, and tell me some specs for a bomb ass system plz.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:06 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "okay, well, remove the cost barrier i..."
Here ya go... (Gotta customize it yourself to see the build)

http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/highend...a64efx.asp?v=d

Athlon64 FX with nForce 3 mobo, a gig of ram, and a Radeon 9800 Pro (or XT if you're ballin' and want a free copy of HL2).
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:09 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Here ya go... (Gotta customize it..."
Medieval Bob said:
Here ya go... (Gotta customize it yourself to see the build)

http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/highend...a64efx.asp?v=d

Athlon64 FX with nForce 3 mobo, a gig of ram, and a Radeon 9800 Pro (or XT if you're ballin' and want a free copy of HL2).
I bought a computer from them. It came to me w/o a monitor or speakers. So i had to wait an extra week for them to ship those to me. They claimed that "we sent it but it must have gotten lost in the mail". BULLSHIT. When i finally get it set up and running. I look inside an dsee one of the wires are being held to the processors cooling fan by scotch tape. The 56k modem randomly stopped working, and the ethernet card refused to work, despite hours of hours of tech support from them. (their tech support sucks, might i add). In turn, i had to return my whole system because they couldnt get it to work.

I wouldnt recommend buyign from them. But if you do, and it actually works properly, it will be one kick ass piece of machinery
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:12 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Here ya go... (Gotta customize it..."
Stick with nVidia if you want to not have graphical problems and faggot crashes all the time. Radeons fuck up with every OpenGL game ever and a lot of new games including Halo. Plus you want a DX9 compatible card (probably not the XT since it's $500). I suggest www.ibuypower.com

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:13 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Here ya go... (Gotta customize it..."
If you are a gamer, and I think you are, this should be your order of importance as far as where your money goes.

1. Video Card
2. CPU
3. RAM
4. Hard drive
5. Then whatever else you need. It really doesnÂ’t matter much from here on if you are on a tight budget.

One thing to remember is with computer parts, as everything else in this world, the bottom line “you get what you pay for”. Not sure if you needed a monitor too, most people don’t because they already have one. If you do need one than that will be the new #1 to this list.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:23 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "If you are a gamer, and I think you..."
My computer I recently finished building is beyond awesome. It's wonderful. But if you're gonna start a new project, I'd wait until mid-to-end of summer. A lot of new technology is coming on the market (ddr2, new and improved SATA, new graphics cards, next wave of 64bit processors, etc), so you're gonna want to wait for that. Even if you're not gonna get the best shit on the market at the time then, all of today's technology is gonna be a lot cheaper.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:23 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Stick with nVidia if you want to not..."
Heh, lucky me i retunred it in that case. Had a radeon 9800 xt 256mb viddy in there.

And kockblocker1, if you ask me, the ram is more important then the processor. W/o sufficient ram, you wont be able to run ANY games. Most of todays good games, like lineage, require at LEAST 512 mb's of ram. I have that. They still dont need UBAR fast processors, though that is preferable. Lineage runs fine on my 1.2 ghz laptop (its liek that when on battery. its 1.7 ghz on outlet)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sovereign

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:28 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Heh, lucky me i retunred it in that..."
tyrann, u know that computer u listed above? that is WAY less than 1000 imho, u can get a pretty decent computer for less than 1000, can u spend up to 1000 or does u have to be less? i really dont think u should go to ibuypower, i suggest it be built like somewhere near u or someone u know make it for you, like cyberpower they could have MANY problems, i read reviews and ibuypower looks cheap and good, but it didnt have that good of ratings and some of the feedback was bad, i even thought it was one of the best places to get a computer but i wouldnt risk it, and i got one built by a friend and it works fine and it was just as cheap or maybe even cheaper with better parts

Last edited by iceman887; 2004-04-14 at 05:33 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:33 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Heh, lucky me i retunred it in that..."
You are right, ram is very important. I didnÂ’t want to get into too much detail but, for ram go with at least 512mb base. I went with CPU first because RAM can be added in addition to the existing amount. Where a CPU has to be replaced. I would rather see him spend $200 on ram and $350 on the CPU than spend $400 on ram and $200 on the CPU. 512mb of ram on a Athlon 64 is much much faster than 1gb of ram on a Athlon 2000XP.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkockblocker1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kockblocker1

Posted 2004-04-14, 05:38 PM in reply to kockblocker1's post starting "You are right, ram is very important. ..."
I dont know that stuff, so all this imput is very good to me. thanx. I still gotta wait a few months now. Damn i hate getting set back.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-04-14, 07:18 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "I dont know that stuff, so all this..."
What you can do is spend less on Video card and processor and get lower end stuff (NOT low end just LOWER THAN INSANE END) and spend money on cooling systems and power supplies and then overclock the shit out of your hardware. At least get a DX9 card though to take advantage of new tech...

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-04-14, 07:19 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "What you can do is spend less on Video..."
what???speak english plz

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-04-14, 07:29 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "In other words: More..."
So instead of putting a lot of ram and shit into it, put power and cooling stuff in so why???

Last edited by Tyrannicide; 2004-04-14 at 07:38 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Tyrannicide