Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2010-03-29, 11:15 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Yes. Unless we see it ourself, we're..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
Yes. Unless we see it ourself, we're going to make some kind of mistake about it.
I think that this claim is not self-evident in general. It seems dependent on the situation, rather than a generality. Surely you can think of claims that you can not observe directly, but can be reasonably certain about.

Quote:
Sorta like when the word "slave" sets off a Black guy... even though, he, and everyone he's ever met, was never a slave.
Do you not think that the repercussions of ones history is a legitimate cause for an emotional response; in some cases, anger? And isn't a grave social injustice, no matter when it happened in history, worth being angry about, especially if someone suggests that your entire race should once again be subjugated to it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-30, 08:25 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I think that this claim is not..."
Demosthenes said: [Goto]
Do you not think that the repercussions of ones history is a legitimate cause for an emotional response; in some cases, anger? And isn't a grave social injustice, no matter when it happened in history, worth being angry about, especially if someone suggests that your entire race should once again be subjugated to it?
No. The chances of slavery ever happening again is low, considering racism is dying and we wouldn't even know where to start, anyway. In my opinion, if it's been over for 80 years or more... then it's over. Everyone, legally, has equal rights in america. If it's not enforced, things go to court. If it ends up that things don't go justly, then everyone is in an uproar about it.
We've become to advanced for us to make the same mistake twice. Other than voting for Bush twice. That was our last repeated mistake.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-30, 10:22 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "No. The chances of slavery ever..."
No.
So in your opinion, the holocaust, genocide, slavery, the inquisition, wiping out a race of people, and racism, since you claim it happened in the past, is not worth being angry about. And not only are you not angry about these things, you think nobody else should be either. Quite telling.

Quote:
The chances of slavery ever happening again is low, considering racism is dying and we wouldn't even know where to start, anyway. In my opinion, if it's been over for 80 years or more... then it's over.
80 years? Where do you get this number?

Slavery is still rampant throughout the world. There are more slaves today than any other time in history. Some of these slave-traders live, and even operate, in America. The fact that it is illegal is great, but the moral zeitgeist of this nation has been quite capricious. There are people today who would repeal the emancipation of blacks, and just because they aren't as vocal as they used to be doesn't mean they can't get that way. It would take about as long to reinstate slavery as it did to repeal it -- about one generation.

Quote:
Everyone, legally, has equal rights in america. If it's not enforced, things go to court. If it ends up that things don't go justly, then everyone is in an uproar about it.
This is a fairy tale. I have had first-hand experience with the debacle that is our justice system. Furthermore, on a more theoretical level a very strong case can be made for the antithesis of your statement.

Quote:
We've become to advanced for us to make the same mistake twice. Other than voting for Bush twice. That was our last repeated mistake.
Righteo, then.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-30, 12:02 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "So in your opinion, the holocaust,..."
Welp. You win. That's what I get for trying to argue at something-or-other in the morning.

genocide,(...) wiping out a race of people, (...)
I sing about those ones.

since you claim it happened in the past, is not worth being angry about. And not only are you not angry about these things, you think nobody else should be either. Quite telling.
Yes. I'm not even mad about 9/11. (*Waits to get shot*)
Who am I getting mad at? As far as I know, everyone whow as involved in [the holocaust, (most) genocide, slavery, the inquisition, wiping out a race of people, and racism,] are all either dead, or considered morons by the rest of the world.
By the time the war is over, terrorists will know they f-cked up, and hopefully won't try anything again. Maybe, if I was a soldier, I'd have a different opinion, but, at the moment, I'm not phased by any of it.
Skurai

Last edited by Skurai; 2010-03-30 at 12:07 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-31, 11:24 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Welp. You win. That's what I get for..."
Conclusive evidence of an alien presence on the moon:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100401.html
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-04-01, 08:38 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Conclusive evidence of an alien..."
That's a terrible edit. I mean, c'mon, I don't even
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-04-01, 01:36 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That's a terrible edit. I mean, c'mon,..."
That's a terrible edit. I mean, c'mon, I don't even
Edit?! What do you mean, edit?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes