Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Question (Courtesy of Wed-G)
Posted 2011-02-23, 10:18 AM
Wed-G said:
Just a personal, religious question that I wanted to ask without the influence or distraction of the other members who still post here.

Since, if I'm correct in my understanding, you're an agnostic who believes there's no way of knowing whether there is or isn't a god (aside from him popping out of the clouds, waving and saying, "O hai!" I take it), then my question is this:

Say, the Christians are right, their Bible was everything they think, it was wholly inspired by God, Christ was his son and the prophecies in Daniel and Revelations (among other prophetic passages) are correct, if the rapture were to occur, what would be your response?

Forget the timing of the rapture, whether it's pre, mid or post tribulation; if suddenly millions of people disappeared from the earth, what would you do then? The reason I ask is because, thinking about the situation, for a split second, I was naive enough to think that almost everyone would be like, "Oh, millions of people are gone, like the Bible says. I guess they were right. Time to trust in Christ." But that's not the way most people think. Certainly, people who lived through that (since they weren't believers before and had mostly likely heard the gospel by then) would just want more proof. Our society is turning into a "proof, proof, proof" society. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but evidence is basic "proof beyond reasonable doubt," and it seems most people now days would see the rapture, and then want even more proof for the existence of god, or at least, of a personal god.

That being said, I'll rephrase the question. If the rapture were to occur, would your call for more proof, or would you take to the bible for answers?
If millions of people were to suddenly vanish from the Earth, my inquisitive brain would certainly want to know WHY. However, I would not see such an event as "proof" that the Bible is entirely correct. Even if the God of the Bible exists, and Jesus was in fact his "son", I would continue to be skeptical of his greatness. If the God of the Bible exists, he is, in my opinion, an evil God, assuming the Bible is entirely true. I would not align myself with such a person. However, I would probably entertain myself by trying to find the truth rather than assuming that the entire Bible is true based on a single (albeit extraordinary) occurrence. I am of the opinion that the "evil" in the Bible is the product of man.

Honestly, though, if millions of people disappeared, I would probably assume some cult or government is behind it, not God.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2011-02-23, 10:31 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Question (Courtesy of Wed-G)"
Or Extraterrestrial.

I think a 'rapture' would be a bad example of something to happen. Personally as an agnostic, i'd rather just have some type of cloud-turns-into-a-tv type event happen and God put himself on a giant jumbotron, broadcasted in every language and explain to us the meaning of our existence.

And if not, i'm okay with not knowing. It's the people that believe so hard for it to be true, they base their life on it to be true, are the ones who aren't okay with not knowing they can't come to accept the fact that they might be wrong. I'll gladly any day admit i'm wrong.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2011-02-23, 03:09 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "Question (Courtesy of Wed-G)"
Figured as much, but I wanted more than just speculation. Thanks for the answer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2011-02-24, 07:26 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "Figured as much, but I wanted more than..."
You couldn't prove a rapture is from God, is all. What if the Pope said it was a rapture, and then it turned out to be a plague or something.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2011-02-24, 07:23 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "You couldn't prove a rapture is from..."
D3V said: [Goto]
You couldn't prove a rapture is from God, is all. What if the Pope said it was a rapture, and then it turned out to be a plague or something.
You find me a plague that makes millions of people disappear in an instant, in front of everyone, and I'll renounce my faith.

Problem with that, is a plague that could do that leaves behind no evidence of having been a plague.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G