Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which would you want?
Dell 3 42.86%
Alienware 4 57.14%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Question Which one
Posted 2004-10-14, 04:41 PM
would you pick?

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...=i5160S1&s=dhs
(dell link isn't working right,)
It would have Xp pro, 1 gig at 333 Mhz, 2 Dimms, 64 mb ddr nvida GeForce FX graphics, 60 gig hard drive,and network card
or

http://www.alienware.com/Configurato...KU-PERFORMANCE

Any changes you would make?
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?

Last edited by MightyJoe; 2004-10-14 at 04:45 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2004-10-14, 04:58 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post "Which one"
Well, It depends on what you plan on using it for. If you want to play a lot of games, go for the Alienware and just upgrade the RAM to 1 gig and HDD to 60GB.
If you dont plan on using it for big gaming, maybe just something that runs faster soyou can play music or work with PS(just examples) than go for the Dell.

Get what really fits what you need and the cost, not worth $3000 if your not gonna be playing games like WoW and D2 and a bunch of others. The Dell is pretty good money wise. I would prolly just upgrade RAM, maybe Processor and the HDD. That way it will be better in the long run, instead of buying a new one in a year or so.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-10-14, 07:36 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Well, It depends on what you plan on..."
I suggest you build your own computer, because then you won't look like a complete idiot in front of people who build their own computers.

But if you MUST buy a premade one, I'd say Alienware (assuming you have tons and tons of cash between the sofa cushions).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2004-10-14, 07:41 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "I suggest you build your own computer,..."
You can build a laptop?

It's been a while since I've been in the Hardware market.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-10-14, 07:51 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "You can build a laptop? It's been a..."
depends on what you are doing like tyrann said, but either way, i would say alienware just because it is better and assuming you have a lot of money

yah, i didn't know you could build laptops, maybe mantra was talking about desktops
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2004-10-14, 08:13 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "depends on what you are doing like..."
Well, for the money part its a graduation present from my parents. They were giving me along with paying my way through college. Yes, it will be used for WoW and the likes so I am going with a 1 gig of ram and a 60 gig hd.
!King_Amazon! said:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2004-10-14, 08:21 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "Well, for the money part its a..."
how much can u spend? why get a laptop?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2004-10-14, 08:24 PM in reply to iceman887's post starting "how much can u spend? why get a laptop?"
I need a lap top for school aswell, thats the main reason. Because our campus is wireless. Right now somewhere between 2-2,500 or so my dad has told me.
!King_Amazon! said:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

MightyJoe

Posted 2004-10-14, 08:52 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "I need a lap top for school aswell,..."
sweet, you can get pretty nice laptops with that money
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

iceman887

Posted 2004-10-14, 10:31 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post "Which one"
Get 128 ram, and then the day you get it, go to a best buy or something and buy 2x 512 mb ram sticks (400mhz) and put those in,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-10-15, 04:45 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Get 128 ram, and then the day you get..."
Or if the parents dont care about how much is spent, upgrade the laptop at Dell a lot.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Angry Do not buy a laptop from Alienware
Posted 2004-10-15, 07:46 AM in reply to MightyJoe's post "Which one"
DO NOT BUY A LAPTOP FROM ALIENWARE.
They have all sorts of issues, and the support system sucks like a black hole. This is the last Alienware laptop I will own; next time I'm going with a company that doesn't strive to make POSs best described by "It breaks, freezes and crashes all the time, but while it's working, it's awesome". Supposedly Dell support is good, and I've been thinking that I'd check out what they've got when I buy my next laptop.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2004-10-15, 10:11 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Do not buy a laptop from Alienware"
Dell support is good. I only called them a few times though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-10-15, 10:16 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Dell support is good. I only called..."
Neither, you're paying for someone's overhead when you don't need to.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by Adrenachrome; 2004-10-15 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Bah, didn't read the thread, thought it was about a desktop.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-10-15, 10:46 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Do not buy a laptop from Alienware"
K, well I found out my dad gets a discount from Ford on Dells, so its going to be a dell. I will have to see if its cheaper to buy the ram seperate or just have dell put it in. Thanks for the help, espcially WW.
!King_Amazon! said:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

MightyJoe