Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Clinton's Stock Just Rose a Few Points in my Book
Posted 2007-10-05, 01:13 PM
Until recently, I was a pretty big Obama fan. Some of his recent comments, however, severely turned me off. I've never been a big Clinton fan. I'm still not. However, her stock rose significantly in my book. According to her site:
Hillary will restore the federal government's commitment to science by: * Signing an Executive Order that:
o Rescinds President Bush's ban on ethical embryonic stem cell research and promotes stem cell research that complies with the highest ethical standards.
o Bans political appointees from altering or removing scientific conclusions in government publications without any legitimate basis for doing so, and prohibits unwarranted suppression of public statements by government scientists.
o Directs all department and agency heads to submit annual reports on the steps they have taken to (1) safeguard against instances of political pressure threatening scientific integrity; and (2) promote openness and transparency in decision-making.
o Reverses President Bush's new directive that dramatically expands political appointees' control over agency rulemaking.
o Revives and expands the national assessment on climate change, going above and beyond the requirements imposed by Congress.
* Restoring the science advisor's direct access to the President.
* Working to re-establish the Office of Technology Assessment.
* Protecting the integrity and independence of federal scientific advisory committees.
* Strengthening whistleblower protections for those who disclose potential instances of political interference with science. Hillary will enhance American leadership in space, including:
* Pursuing an ambitious 21st century Space Exploration Program, by implementing a balanced strategy of robust human spaceflight, expanded robotic spaceflight, and enhanced space science activities.
* Developing a comprehensive space-based Earth Sciences agenda, including full funding for NASA's Earth Sciences program and a space-based Climate Change Initiative that will help us secure the scientific knowledge we need to combat global warming.
* Promoting American leadership in aeronautics by reversing funding cuts to NASA's and FAA's aeronautics R&D budget.
Hillary will promote a nationwide commitment to innovation by:
* Establishing a $50-billion Strategic Energy Fund to invest in technologies to promote conservation, combat global warming, and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.
* Pursuing a comprehensive innovation agenda to enhance the nation's research capacity; help ensure we continue to have a premier science, engineering, technology and mathematics workforce; and upgrade our innovation infrastructure.
She's the first person I've heard actually talking about this particular issue. This is a good thing. Hopefully it will get other candidates to discuss the issue as well. The past 8 years' curbing of science needs to be reversed. The only way to start that is to put it out there and talk about it. And for doing that, her stock rises in my book
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:14 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Clinton's Stock Just Rose a Few Points..."
I wonder if this belongs in this section...

I'm not really sure. It's about science for sure. But it's not really anything scientific.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:20 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I wonder if this belongs in this..."
That's pretty damn cool. It's too bad she doesn't have a chance.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:21 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I wonder if this belongs in this..."
Well it is about science so I'd say it's okay.

Good write-up by the Clinton HQ, however it IS just talk, but like you said it's better than nothing really. I doubt this is on anyone's to-talk-about list

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:27 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's pretty damn cool. It's too bad..."
!King_Amazon! said:
That's pretty damn cool. It's too bad she doesn't have a chance.
Actually, according to polls so far, she has the best chance out of all the candidates.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:41 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Actually, according to polls so far,..."
mjordan2nd said:
Actually, according to polls so far, she has the best chance out of all the candidates.
True, but when has a front-runner ever won? Besides JFK

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:50 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "True, but when has a front-runner ever..."
The polls may not be exact, but they're generally pretty accurate within a range of error. And the spread that Clinton has over Obama now is probably beyond that range of error. Of course, now it's too soon. A dramatic event could skew the polls significantly. However, if the political climate of the country stays the same, and there are no dramatic events in the candidates lives I'd say she is slated to be our next president.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:57 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "The polls may not be exact, but they're..."
Oh yeah of course, I forsee a giant shift though. I just don't feel that enough of the "votes" are being represented correcrtly.

Because when you think about it, the polls are from newspaper polls, etc. And a majority of 50+ read, and actually take the time to vote, etc, and a MAJORITY of those old people voted for Bill Clinton, and can't keep up with the times, are confused/cenicle whatever the case may be and vote for Hilary, so the votes are skewed.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-10-05, 01:57 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's pretty damn cool. It's too bad..."
I'll vote for her. And I've never voted before and likely never will again.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2007-10-05, 02:01 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "I'll vote for her. And I've never voted..."
Kaneda said:
I'll vote for her. And I've never voted before and likely never will again.
Sure thing Klo

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-10-05, 03:54 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Sure thing Klo"
Ha, dueche. No seriously why not have a women in office. It can't be any worse than Bush and its sure to have some profound impact.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2007-10-05, 04:35 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Clinton's Stock Just Rose a Few Points..."
Wow, I wasn't even aware some of that had ever happened. Definitely a step in the right direction, I'm 100% for scientific progression. As they say, knowledge is power.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-10-05, 04:38 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Wow, I wasn't even aware some of that..."
I wouldn't say I'm 100% for scientific progression in all areas. Scientific progression often includes WEAPONS progression, which I do not agree with. I think we need to develop ways to PREVENT attacks on us and our allies, but I do not think we should develop bigger and better weapons, because they just end up in the hands of the people who want to use them against us.

However, they're gonna do whatever they want when it comes to that anyway.

I agree with stem cell research.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-10-05, 04:42 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I wouldn't say I'm 100% for scientific..."
There are meny positive things that have resulted from weapons research, even though I dislike the idea of us using said weapons on others without just cause.

I'm for scientific progress in nearly all of its aspects, minus a few common decency boundaries.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker