Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Posted 2008-02-02, 10:42 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Cute, but you're not advocating that at..."
No, I'm saying you know nothing. You believe something, but there is no way for you to actually know anything. You can't even know that you or anything else exists. For all you know, this could all be a dream.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-02-02, 12:06 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "No, I'm saying you know nothing. You..."
While that may be true, it's not relevant. We define a construct called reality. We gain knowledge about this construct through our senses. This is the only pertinent knowledge. The theory of evolution makes predictions about reality that we later find to coincide with reality. This is what makes it a good theory. If you want to argue this on a philosophical basis, the argument should shift to the scope of reality rather than whether or not reality is real.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2008-02-02 at 12:35 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-02, 05:47 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "While that may be true, it's not..."
Uh, wow, didn't see this all day.

My belief in intelligent design as evolution isn't what you think it is. I don't believe in a deity in the western sense. More appropriately, and more likely, the force behind the universe(s) is closer to the eastern interpretation.

I'll be using some terms commonly associated with definitions dogmatic scientists turn their heads away from. I'll put them in quotes, just so I don't madden some people and also to point them out.

First of all, yes, I believe in "God". This "God" I believe in is existence itself. Existence is the only thing I am sure of. Therefore, why not label it God?

If you try to go through the process to narrow down the origin of "creation", you will find that regardless of the situation, there must be a creator.

So we have one thing for sure. A Creator.

And if God is a Creator, and the Creator is God, Existence must be the creating force.

But you can't make something from nothing with our laws. This is where validity falls to the wind, however, because our universe's laws may differ from another's. I'm assuming.

If everything is nothing, then nothing is everything. That pretty much solves the "What created God then?" question. Existence is everything and nothing. You can not create when there is no room for new material however, so that is why I believe in creation by subtraction.

So that means that everything in existence is intelligently designed. Why is that? Because if the product is intelligent, the source must have intelligent traits. Intelligence is key to my beliefs, as I shall explain later on.

Consciousness. I do not believe it is a product of chemical reactions within the brain. The brain, on the other hand, is a filter. Our consciousnesses are filtered through our brain, hence why brain altering drugs affect what we experience. Autistic Savants, for example, have brain disorders, which allow them to do things which are rather supernatural. Drugs and physical trauma crack these filters, which allows for our consciousness to come through more clearly. So an autistic savant may have answers to mathematical problems appear before them.

Now, I'll explain creation by subtraction. Hypothetically, if this collective consciousness, the "godhead" is like white light, you can make colors through applying different filters, such as red to make blue. If existence is filtered, then Universes are the product of subtracting from this godhead. So we could have one universe completely different from another because of different laws. We couldn't be able to comprehend it, as it may not use our same properties of light or sound.

The godhead must have purpose. Without it, it would not continue. Therefore, what better purpose than to test it's power? By creating universes and therefore different worlds, with different creatures, it explores it's potential. And it experiences it's potential through us. We know nothing at birth because there would be no discovery. We are conscious, intelligent, and we are the godhead. As is the earth below you.

I feel I've gone to far setting up my beliefs for you to see without answering your question.

In my beliefs, evolution is intelligent design because it is the godhead exploring it's potential in creating organisms. Don't act like it is the definitive process, however, because it is one of the many possible ways organisms change in an infinite number of universes.

I could go a lot farther with this, but I feel I've answered your question as to why, Grav.

And Dogmatism is baaaad. Science is, in a sense, a religion now. Scientism. Never dismiss a viewpoint as false because of better evidence. These are some of my beliefs and they are subject to change.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-02-04, 01:42 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "While that may be true, it's not..."
This thread is beginning to take a turn into retarded philosphy. Soon we'll be reading about how we're all butterflies dreaming we're whelks or something.

Of course we don't KNOW for certain, that's why this debate rages daily. Some people will approach things logically and others will approach it intuitively/emotionally.

When you're getting to the point of defining reality, you're bickering just to be obnoxious.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker