Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Thumbs up WikiLeaks at it again!
Posted 2010-12-01, 10:14 AM
Not sure if you've heard or not recently, but Wikileaks is blowing up classified information once again, I haven't actually found any of the new leaked materail, but this was fun to read in the process of searching.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/repor...r-ddos-attack/

Quote:
Report: Amazon Lending Server Bandwidth To WikiLeaks After DDoS Attack
Go amazon.com! Also, the founder of Wikileaks is now being

WikiLeaks Update: U.S. Tries To Contain Damage From Leaked Embassy Cables

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1..._n_789031.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration moved forcefully Monday to contain damage from the release of more than a quarter-million classified diplomatic files, branding the action as an attack on the United States and raising the prospect of legal action against online whistle-blower WikiLeaks.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said that WikiLeaks acted illegally in posting the material. She said the Obama administration was taking "aggressive steps to hold responsible those who stole this information."

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the U.S. would not rule out taking action against WikiLeaks. Attorney General Eric Holder said the administration would prosecute if violations of federal law are found in an ongoing criminal investigation of the incident.

Gibbs said President Barack Obama was briefed on the impending massive leak last week and was "not pleased" about the breach of classified documents. "This is a serious violation of the law," Gibbs said. "This is a serious threat to individuals that both carry out and assist in our foreign policy."

The White House on Monday ordered a government-wide review of how agencies safeguard sensitive information. Clinton said steps were already being taken to tighten oversight of diplomatic files. That action would follow a similar move by the Pentagon after leaks of military files.

The U.S. documents contained raw comments normally muffled by diplomatic politesse: Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah pressing the U.S. to "cut off the head of the snake" by taking action against Iran's nuclear program. Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi described as "feckless" and "vain." German Chancellor Angela Merkel dismissed as "risk averse and rarely creative."

The release of those documents and others containing unflattering assessments of world leaders was a clear embarrassment to the administration. The director of the White House's Office of Management and Budget, Jacob Lew, said in ordering the agency-wide assessment Monday that the disclosures are unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

"This disclosure is not just an attack on America's foreign policy interests," Clinton said in her first comments since the weekend leaks. "It is an attack on the international community: the alliances and partnerships, the conversations and negotiations that safeguard global security and advance economic prosperity."

"It puts people's lives in danger, threatens our national security and undermines our efforts to work with other countries," she told reporters at the State Department.
Quote:
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange alleged that the administration was trying to cover up evidence of serious "human rights abuse and other criminal behavior" by the U.S. government. WikiLeaks posted the documents just hours after it claimed its website had been hit by a cyberattack that made the site inaccessible for much of the day.

Clinton would not discuss the specific contents of the cables but said the administration "deeply regrets" any embarrassment caused by their disclosure. At the same time, she said Americans should be "proud" of the work that U.S. diplomats do for the country and that they would not change the tone or content of their reports back to Washington.

She did acknowledge that newly released cables that reveal concerns among Arab world leaders about Iran's growing nuclear capability have a strong basis in reality.

"It should not be a surprise to anyone that Iran is a great concern," she said, adding that the comments reported in the documents "confirm the fact that Iran poses a very serious threat in the eyes of her neighbors."

Clinton's comments came before she left Washington on a four-nation tour of Central Asia and the Persian Gulf. She alluded to discussions she expects to have about the leaked documents with officials from Europe and elsewhere. Some of those diplomats may be cited in the leaked documents, confronting her with uncomfortable conversations.

Publication of the secret memos amplified widespread global alarm about Iran's nuclear ambitions and unveiled occasional U.S. pressure tactics aimed at hot spots in Afghanistan, Pakistan and North Korea.

The leaks unearthed such bluntly candid impressions from both diplomats and other world leaders about America's allies and foes that Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini described the disclosures as the "Sept. 11 of world diplomacy."

Most of the disclosures focused on familiar diplomatic issues that have long stymied U.S. officials and their foreign counterparts – the nuclear ambitions of Iran, North Korea and Pakistan, China's growth as a superpower, and the frustrations of combating terrorism.

But their publication could become problems for the officials concerned and for any secret initiatives they had preferred to keep quiet. The massive release of material intended for diplomatic eyes was quickly ruffling feathers in foreign capitals despite efforts by U.S. diplomats to shore up relations with key allies in advance of the leaks.

In London, Steve Field, a spokesman for British Prime Minister David Cameron, said, "It's important that governments are able to operate on the basis of confidentiality of information." French Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said, "We strongly deplore the deliberate and irresponsible release of American diplomatic correspondence by the site WikiLeaks."

Pakistan's foreign ministry said it was an "irresponsible disclosure of sensitive official documents" while Iraq's foreign minister, Hoshyar Zebari, called the document release "unhelpful and untimely." In Australia, home country of WikiLeaks founder Assange, Attorney General Robert McClelland said law enforcement officials were investigating whether WikiLeaks broke any laws.

The documents published by The New York Times, France's Le Monde, Britain's Guardian newspaper, German magazine Der Spiegel and others laid out the behind-the-scenes conduct of Washington's international relations, shrouded in public by platitudes, smiles and handshakes at photo sessions among senior officials.

U.S. officials may also have to mend fences after revelations that they gathered personal information on other diplomats. The leaks cited American memos encouraging U.S. diplomats at the United Nations to collect detailed data about the U.N. secretary general, his team and foreign diplomats – going beyond what is considered the normal run of information-gathering expected in diplomatic circles.

France's Le Monde reported that one memo asked U.S. diplomats to collect basic contact information about U.N. officials that included Internet passwords, credit card numbers and frequent flyer numbers. They were asked to obtain fingerprints, ID photos, DNA and iris scans of people of interest to the United States, Le Monde said.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley played down the diplomatic spying allegations. "Our diplomats are just that, diplomats," he said. "They collect information that shapes our policies and actions. This is what diplomats, from our country and other countries, have done for hundreds of years."

The White House noted that "by its very nature, field reporting to Washington is candid and often incomplete information. It is not an expression of policy, nor does it always shape final policy decisions."

On its website, The New York Times said the documents "serve an important public interest, illuminating the goals, successes, compromises and frustrations of American diplomacy in a way that other accounts cannot match."

Le Monde said it "considered that it was part of its mission to learn about these documents, to make a journalistic analysis and to make them available to its readers." Der Spiegel said that in publishing the documents its reporters and editors "weighed the public interest against the justified interest of countries in security and confidentiality."

The Guardian said some cables showed King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia repeatedly urging the United States to attack Iran to destroy its nuclear program. The newspaper also said officials in Jordan and Bahrain have openly called for Iran's nuclear program to be stopped by any means.

Those documents may prove the trickiest because even though the concerns of the Gulf Arab states are known, their leaders rarely offer such stark appraisals in public.

The Times highlighted documents that indicated the U.S. and South Korea were "gaming out an eventual collapse of North Korea" and discussing the prospects for a unified country if the North's economic troubles and political transition lead it to implode.

The Times also cited diplomatic messages describing unsuccessful U.S. efforts to prod Pakistani officials to remove highly enriched uranium from a reactor out of fear that the material could be used to make an illicit atomic device. And the newspaper cited exchanges showing Yemen's president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, telling Gen. David Petraeus that his country would pretend that American missile strikes against a local al-Qaida group had come from Yemen's forces.

The Times said another batch of documents raised questions about Italy's Berlusconi and his relationship with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin. One cable said Berlusconi "appears increasingly to be the mouthpiece of Putin" in Europe, the Times reported.

Der Spiegel reported that the documents portrayed Germany's Merkel and Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle in unflattering terms. It said American diplomats saw Merkel as risk-averse and Westerwelle as largely powerless.

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, meanwhile, was described as erratic and in the near constant company of a Ukrainian nurse who was described in one cable as "a voluptuous blonde," according to the Times.

Take what you want from it, but I love Wikileaks. I support what they're doing, and the corporations and government have been withholding information from the "stupid public" for too long. In a time in our country where we are at a crossroads of turning to shit or rebuilding ourselves even stronger, it's good to see that people are still fighting and trying to get everything put onto the table.

Now, there are certain instances in which wikileaks really are endangering peolpe's lives, but let's be honest, if you signed up for the military and you're engaged in war how much more dangerous could some documents make it? I know that may sound ignorant to military buffs, but honestly I don't feel it changes much.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-12-01, 10:16 AM in reply to D3V's post "WikiLeaks at it again!"

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/8757.../wikileaks.htm

The founder of the controversial whistleblower website, Wikileaks, has been placed on Interpol's international wanted persons list, the international police organization announced today.

Bullshit? United States gustapo at work? Call it what you want.

"Julian Assange, a 39-year-old Australian, is wanted by Swedish authorities on suspicion of rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion. Assange denies the charges.

Interpol, which serves 188 member nations, placed Assange on its red notice list on Nov. 20, at Sweden's request.

The Interpol red notice amounts to a request by the agency to a nation to help Sweden by identifying or locating an individual and providing for his arrest and extradition. Interpol does not have the power to demand any nation to arrest anyone.

Sweden charged Assange with rape in August and put out a warrant for his arrest, but withdrew the charge and warrant the next day, citing insufficient evidence."

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-12-01, 10:29 AM in reply to D3V's post "WikiLeaks at it again!"
D3V said: [Goto]
Now, there are certain instances in which wikileaks really are endangering peolpe's lives
Collateral damage. I'm sure Wikileaks will do more good than harm, even if some people have to die.

I somehow doubt this is the kind of government transparency Obama had in mind, though
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-12-01, 10:42 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Collateral damage. I'm sure Wikileaks..."
Lulz.

Just seen this pop up on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T2

Will the U.S. prosecute Julian Assange?

Quote:
CNN's legal analyst said he believes the U.S. has an arrest warrant for WikiLeaks founder
White House spokesman declined to comment on that possibility
Assange's "celebrity status" may make hiding hard
Assange is wanted in Sweden on suspicion of rape and sexual molestation
"U.S. authorities may be looking for just the right moment to try to detain WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who is the subject of a wanted-persons alert sent to police agencies around the world, CNN's senior legal analyst said Wednesday.

Assange is wanted in Sweden on suspicion of rape and sexual molestation. The United States, meanwhile, is conducting a criminal investigation into his website's disclosure of thousands of secret U.S. diplomatic cables.

Some U.S. politicians have called for Assange to face charges related to the leaks, and prosecutors already may have obtained a sealed arrest warrant, said Jeffrey Toobin, CNN's senior legal analyst. White House spokesman Robert Gibbs declined to comment on that possibility when asked about it on CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday."

I guess when you piss off multiple governments they're eventually going to come after you. Poor guy, I like that he's still putting up a fight after that whole helicopter mow-down video that was posted a few months back and all of the flack he got for that.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-12-01, 10:59 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Lulz. Just seen this pop up on CNN ..."
This is a good thing, honestly. It shows that the governments are actually scared.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-12-01, 11:11 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "This is a good thing, honestly. It..."
And once docuements are posted on the internet, they will never disappear. That's the best part. He can go to prison after releasing the information, and it will still get out there, and spread. Now apparently he's threatening Bank of America or (two of america's largest banks) for corruption, so it could really be anything, Chase, Wachovia/Wells Fargo/BoA.. I'm curious to see what this executives hard drive has on it.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-12-01, 02:39 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "And once docuements are posted on the..."
the world need this
http://www.mediafire.com/?i75ar1ywqn0ur5x
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run

Last edited by jamer123; 2010-12-01 at 03:19 PM. Reason: added link to download
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123

Posted 2010-12-01, 03:01 PM in reply to jamer123's post starting "the world need this..."
As soon as I could praise Amazon for giving server space to Wikileaks, they're cut off.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/01/wik...ex.html?hpt=T2

WikiLeaks cut off from Amazon servers

WikiLeaks says it was "ousted" by the online retail giant
A U.S. senator claims credit for move and calls on others to follow suit
Lieberman: WikiLeaks' acts are illegal, outrageous and reckless

I'm glad asshole Joe Liberman has a stance on this, now I know to take the opposite view on it given he's controlled by corporations. Shithead.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-12-02, 01:40 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "This is a good thing, honestly. It..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
This is a good thing, honestly. It shows that the governments are actually scared.
From the looks of it, they must have had something bigger to hide, and barely got to it in time. They aren't just scared - they're pissed.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-12-02, 09:59 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "From the looks of it, they must have..."
There was a time when he would have had an assassin's bullet in him after the first release ...or perhaps before it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2010-12-07, 01:34 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "There was a time when he would have had..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
There was a time when he would have had an assassin's bullet in him after the first release ...or perhaps before it.
There was also a time when women were accused of witchcraft for cheating on their spouse and gentlemen had pistol duels to decide arguments. Yeah, I like it better now.

For anyone that hasn't heard, the Wikileaks owner has been arrested by the English police on charges of Sexual Crime in Sweden:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,0,10353.story

Ahh, CIA hard at work
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2010-12-07, 07:49 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "There was also a time when women were..."
Wallow said: [Goto]
There was also a time when women were accused of witchcraft for cheating on their spouse
That inaccuracy just made me jizz all over my keyboard.

Wallow said: [Goto]
and gentlemen had pistol duels to decide arguments. Yeah, I like it better now.
I dunno, the old method sounds a LOT faster... and surprisingly more civil.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-12-08, 03:23 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "That inaccuracy just made me jizz all..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
That inaccuracy just made me jizz all over my keyboard.
It was a possible exaggeration; anybody could be charged with witchcraft if someone was bold enough to accuse them of it. Since that was a pretty efficient way of getting rid of someone you had contempt for at that time, then suspicion of someone committing (possibly your spouse) adultery could spur your to slip a word or two to an official.

Last edited by Wallow; 2010-12-08 at 03:33 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2010-12-08, 07:45 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "It was a possible exaggeration; anybody..."
It was usually used by the women, to get at the other women. Just the opposite, really.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-12-08, 07:50 PM in reply to D3V's post "WikiLeaks at it again!"
I'm not sure what to think of this. On one hand I think it's good that we can expose wrong-doings covered up in classified documents, but on the other what if some things shouldn't be made public? I dunno, I'm on the fence and I'm watching very passively.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-12-09, 01:03 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "It was usually used by the women, to..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
It was usually used by the women, to get at the other women. Just the opposite, really.
If you want to deal in specifics, it was a group of adolescent girls in Salem. But anybody could accuse someone else.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2010-12-09, 09:12 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "If you want to deal in specifics, it..."
"And I barely got away, too. I'm lucky I managed to slip away before the court could find me~" - The Priestess
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-12-10, 10:05 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting ""And I barely got away, too. I'm lucky..."
# Collective known as "Anonymous" claimed attacks on MasterCard, other websites
# Internet activist says people can turn their computers over to "Anonymous"
# He says group will use collective power of linked computers to overwhelm targeted servers
# Goal of Anonymous and Operation Payback? "Unlimited freedom of expression"

If you think there's a group of nerdish hackers somewhere hunched over their computers launching cyberattacks 24-7 on companies that have refused service to WikiLeaks, you're wrong.

Helping the hacking forum known as "Anonymous" and "Operation Payback" can be as simple as sending an e-mail to one of the many websites it uses -- and letting the hackers take control of your computer.

Anonymous claimed responsibility for disabling or disrupting the sites of MasterCard, Visa and PayPal this week. The attacks came on the heels of WikiLeaks leader Julian Assange's arrest.

"You don't have to be at your computer. All you've got to do is send Anonymous an e-mail that says, 'I consent to you using my computer, do whatever you like,' " and the people with Anonymous link to your computer, connect it with others who've consented, and use the collective force (among the machines) to launch these attacks," Gregg Housh, a 34-year-old internet activist based in Boston told CNN.

The Anonymous crew existed long before the WikiLeaks saga. In the past, they've launched attacks on websites of the Church of Scientology, the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America. But by comparison, those were relatively anonymous, as it were.

Housh responded to an e-mail sent by CNN to an Anonymous website asking for an interview. Housh, speaking by telephone, said he's only monitoring Anonymous' activity and has not participated in the WikiLeaks-related attacks.

Anonymous has no command structure and no spokesperson, said Housh. But it does have some collective discipline.

"Anonymous is nonexistent. We don't have members," he said. "If you want to go on [in a portal] and say, 'Let's attack this group and the majority of the people who are in that portal at that time agree, then that group will be targeted. If the majority of people present in the portal decide -- at that time -- that your suggested target is a dumb idea, nobody acts."

Network researcher Dr. Jose Nazario confirmed Housh's account of how the site works and how many people and computers are involved in the attacks.

Nazario is a researcher with Arbor Networks, a Chelmsford, Massachusetts, firm that tracks malicious activity on computer networks. Arbor Networks works for private sector clients with ISPs large enough to be the victims of attacks such as the ones MasterCard and Visa experienced. The firm also works with law enforcement.

Nazario has been monitoring Anonymous for a corporate client but would not say which one. He said about 1,500 people with computers based in the United States have been consistently chatting on the Anonymous site this week.

Many of those people have downloaded a tool that Anonymous created so that their computers can be linked, Nazario said. The tool is designed to repeatedly request data from servers, in turn overwhelming the servers and temporarily disabling sites.

So how many computers does it take to bring down a major corporation's Web site?

No more than 120, according to an analysis of Anonymous that Nazario performed this week. "It doesn't take a massive number of machines at all," he said.

"What's unusual about this is that people are volunteering their PCs," Nazario said. "You just don't see that often."

In addition to Housh, CNN talked online with several people who identified themselves as Anonymous volunteers. They would not give their names, but this is part of the conversation:
IRC CHAT said:
CNN: Who is Anonymous, Operation Payback? How do you work?

Anon: Anonymous is everyone, and everyone can be Anonymous. We are from different parts of the world with different professions working towards a common goal, following a common idea. We mainly operate via our IRC [Internet Relay Chat] rooms and social networking sites.

CNN: So, how did you come together over WikiLeaks? Was this spontaneous? Tell me how it started.

Anon: Operation Payback started as a demonstration against all things people were unable to change using legal means. Our primary goal is freedom of information. Any and all information. At first we were focused on issues concerning piracy (and we still are), but once the WikiLeaks fiasco occurred it was obvious we had to help. Our initial goal specifics were different, but we all share the common idea of free information.

Anon (continued) At the moment, we took a side track to support Julian Assange and WikiLeaks. While their methods may be controversial, they do demand transparency, which is something we definitely support. When we think we made our point (e.g. WikiLeaks accepted as whistleblower, without fear that they will be prosecuted), we will return to fighting copywrong.

While we can't say for certain what our ultimate goal is, the most important ones are - justice (not by current law, but by moral) - unlimited freedom of expression - taboo of censorship: nobody should silence somebody else.

CNN asked Housh if, as rumored, Twitter and Facebook would be Anonymous' next targets. Would customers of MasterCard, Visa Video or Amazon be hurt?

"They aren't here to hurt free speech. They aren't going to attack you," he answered. "You don't want to go after people, you want to go after the corporation. The people are not your enemy."

But the others who claim they are involved with Anonymous say it's not so clear-cut.

Here are more excerpts from CNN's online conversation with members who claimed to be part of Anonymous.

CNN: Do you see this expanding to disrupting the payment system at MasterCard?

Anon: Anything is possible ... Depends on who decides to join the cause. You never know We can not say anything about our tactics at this time.

The ultimate goal for Operation Payback is just as fuzzy.

CNN: What's the end goal for you? What do you want to see happen as a result of Operation Payback?

Anon: Personally? An (sic) utopian society. This is just a new way to fight ... We will fight until this primary goal has been achieved ... We started this operatiion (sic) to save and protect the freedom to share information freely without any censorship. We will fight until this primary goal has been achieved.
I fucking love you 4chan, Anonymous.

Quote:
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
BORKED

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-12-10, 10:13 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "# Collective known as "Anonymous"..."
Operation Payback is a coordinated group of attacks on opponents of internet piracy by internet activists. It was created by users of 4chan, an online community which also gave rise to the Project Chanology attacks by Anonymous against the Church of Scientology as well as other internet memes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Payback

Operation Payback started as retaliation to distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks on torrent sites; piracy proponents then decided to launch DDoS attacks on piracy opponents. The initial reaction snowballed into a wave of attacks on major pro-copyright and anti-piracy organizations, law firms, and individuals. In December 2010, following the United States diplomatic cables leak, the organizers commenced DDoS attacks on websites of banks who had withdrawn banking facilities from WikiLeaks.

Operation Avenge Assange

In December 2010, WikiLeaks came under intense pressure to stop publishing secret United States diplomatic cables. Corporations such as Amazon, PayPal, PostFinance, MasterCard and Visa either stopped working with or froze donations to WikiLeaks, some due to political pressures. In response, those behind Operation Payback directed their activities against these companies for dropping support to WikiLeaks. Operation Payback launched DDoS attacks against PayPal, the Swiss bank PostFinance and the Swedish Prosecution Authority. On 8 December 2010, a coordinated DDoS attack by Operation Payback brought down both the MasterCard and Visa websites.On the 9th December 2010, prior to a sustained DDoS attack on the Paypal website that caused a minor slowdown to their service, Paypal announced on its blog that they would release all remaining funds in the account of the Wau Holland Foundation that was raising funds for WikiLeaks, but would not reactivate the account. Regarding the attacks, WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson denied any relation to the group and said: “We neither condemn nor applaud these attacks. We believe they are a reflection of public opinion on the actions of the targets. On the same day, a 16-year-old boy was arrested in The Hague, Netherlands, in connection with the distributed denial-of-service attacks against MasterCard and PayPal. On 10 December 2010, The Daily Telegraph reported Anonymous as having threatened British government websites if Assenge is extradited to Sweden. Anonymous issued a press release in an attempt to clarify the issue

BORKED

BORKED

and finally. great points given from TheYoungTurks.

BORKED

Take what you want from it.

Quote:

Last edited by D3V; 2010-12-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-12-14, 10:30 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Operation Payback is a coordinated..."
Assange granted bail at London court hearing

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...ex.html?hpt=T1

Quote:
About 100 people demonstrate support for Assange outside court
Bail granted after judge satisfied with Assange's residence
Assange will be kept on "mansion arrest," attorney says
Assange is accused of sex crimes in Sweden
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was granted bail Tuesday after a hearing at Westminster Magistrate's Court in London.

The 39-year-old Australian handed himself over to London police last week to answer a European arrest warrant over alleged sex crimes in Sweden.

Assange is facing accusations of rape, sexual molestation and illegal use of force in separate incidents in August in Stockholm. He could be sentenced to two years in prison if convicted. His lawyers deny the allegations and have vowed to fight any attempts at extradition.

The magistrate agreed to grant bail Tuesday after Assange's team of attorneys reported that Vaughan Smith, a former British army officer who founded London's Frontline Club, had offered his mansion in Suffolk to Assange.

Smith will keep Assange "if not under house arrest, at least under mansion arrest," said defense attorney Geoffrey Robinson. At that, Assange, dressed in a white shirt and a blue jacket and sitting in a glassed-in corner of the court with three security guards, smiled wryly.

The magistrate set bail at 200,000 pounds (about $315,000) plus two sureties of 20,000 pounds each (about $31,500). Assange's passport must remain with police, and he will be monitored by a location tag.

Assange must be at Smith's mansion, about two hours outside of London, for at least four hours overnight and four hours during the day. He will be required to report to police daily between 6 and 8 p.m. The next court hearing was scheduled for January 11.

After the conditions were set, Assange stood and said, "I understand," with a neutral expression.

Outside the court, about 100 people demonstrated in support of Assange, holding signs saying "Julian Assange is a political prisoner" and "Why are you shooting the messenger? This is not 1984."

During the hearing, Assange's team of attorneys argued that since he is only wanted for questioning and has not been formally charged, he is presumed innocent. The magistrate agreed.

But, said Gemma Lindfield, the attorney representing the Swedish prosecution, "The court has already found that Mr. Assange is a flight risk. Nothing has changed in this regard."

She said if the alleged offenses had occurred in Britain, "it undoubtedly would have been a charge of rape in this jurisdiction."

Those in attendance at the hearing included Fatima Bhutto, niece of the late Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto and current Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari, and prominent left-wing journalist John Pilger.

The judge denied Assange's first request for bail at a hearing on December 7 on the grounds that there was a risk he would fail to surrender.

WikiLeaks' release of thousands of secret U.S. diplomatic and military documents is also under criminal review in the United States.

Last week, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said he had authorized "significant" actions related to a criminal investigation into WikiLeaks' publication of the materials but has declined to elaborate.

An attorney for the WikiLeaks founder, citing Swedish authorities, has said a secret grand jury is meeting in Alexandria, Virginia, to consider charges related to the release of the documents.

WikiLeaks inflamed U.S. authorities last month by publishing the first of a large group of confidential U.S. diplomatic cables.

Only a small fraction of the 250,000 U.S. State Department documents have been released and more are being published daily.

U.S. authorities and other Western leaders say the documents' publication threatens lives and national security.

WikiLeaks and its supporters say that the public has a right to know what is going on behind diplomatic doors.

Assange has been in custody since handing himself over to police last week.

On Tuesday, Australian broadcaster and CNN affiliate, Seven News, said it had received his first correspondence since being imprisoned.

The network said Assange's mother, Christine, who is in London after traveling from Australia to be near her son, handed it a note in response to her question as to whether it had been worth it.

The statement from her son said: "My convictions are unfaltering. I remain true to the ideals I have expressed. This circumstance shall not shake them. If anything this process has increased my determination that they are true and correct."

Christine Assange told Seven News she supported her son and appealed for others to do the same. "As a mother, I'm asking the world to stand up for my brave son," she said.

On his last appearance in court, several celebrities joined protesters with offers to post bail.

In an email entitled "Hands Off WikiLeaks," human rights activist Peter Tatchell urged readers to join him outside the court to defend the website and its founder.

"The WikiLeaks revelations regarding secret U.S. diplomatic cables have exposed the two-faced, dirty diplomacy of the U.S. government and its support for unsavoury regimes and human rights abusers," Tatchell wrote.

He added: "Although the charges against Assange look like a fix to silence and discredit him, there may be truth in them. It is impossible to be sure either way. However, what is beyond question is that some top people in the U.S. are out for revenge. They want to destroy Assange and WikiLeaks."

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V