Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

PHP Help - CHMOD 0777
Posted 2005-08-08, 04:13 AM
I'm trying to install IPB v2.0.4 online. When I go to the install page I get the following erros that need to be addressed before I can continue:

Warning! The following errors must be rectified before continuing!

·Cannot write to the file '../conf_global.php'. Please CHMOD to 0777.

·Cannot write to the file '../skin_cache/'. Please CHMOD to 0777.

I haven't the faintest idea how to do this. The only thing I know is that changing it to 0777 lets other things read and write to it...I think.

I don't know.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by Lenny; 2015-04-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-08, 10:11 AM in reply to Lenny's post "PHP Help - CHMOD 0777"
Lenny said:
I'm trying to install IPB v2.0.4 online. When I go to the install page I get the following erros that need to be addressed before I can continue:

Warning! The following errors must be rectified before continuing!

·Cannot write to the file '../conf_global.php'. Please CHMOD to 0777.

·Cannot write to the file '../skin_cache/'. Please CHMOD to 0777.

I haven't the faintest idea how to do this. The only thing I know is that changing it to 0777 lets other things read and write to it...I think.

I don't know.

Can anyone help?
You need an FTP client like flashfxp, log into your account go into Public_Html and find those directories and files, right click and set the chmod to 777 on them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2005-08-08, 01:18 PM in reply to Penguin's post starting "You need an FTP client like flashfxp,..."
Righto.

So screw Frontpage and get a proper FTP client instead.

Can you recommend any good free ones?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-08, 09:56 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Righto. So screw Frontpage and get a..."
I Use FileZilla. Free shareware with no limits and shit. Once you connect to your site, you can just right click a file/directory choose file attributes then type 777 for the numeric value.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2005-08-09, 06:07 AM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "I Use FileZilla. Free shareware with no..."
FileZilla it is then.

Thanks guys!

Edit: 
Well, I've got past that first screen and have begun the installation...before getting stuck on the second screen...I need to get my:
  • Your SQL database name
  • Your SQL username
  • Your SQL password
  • Your SQL host address (usually localhost)
from my webhost. Oh joy...

Having absolutely no understanding of PHP etc. I was wondering what on earth SQL is. I've deduced it's something to do with Databases that collect information on things...erm, help?

Last edited by Lenny; 2005-08-09 at 07:01 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-09, 12:14 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "FileZilla it is then. Thanks guys!..."
Thats it exacly what it is. You would have to have your host help you there.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2005-08-09, 12:24 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "Thats it exacly what it is. You would..."
It is?! Go lenny, go Lenny...

Anyway, I sent them an e-mail (my webhost) earlier today and I get to wait for a reply now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-09, 01:52 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It is?! Go lenny, go Lenny...:D ..."
Being a webhost myself, I have to deal with these kind of questions Constantly. =/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2005-08-09, 02:37 PM in reply to Penguin's post starting "Being a webhost myself, I have to deal..."
Awww...

What type of packages do you offer?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-09, 07:13 PM in reply to Penguin's post starting "Being a webhost myself, I have to deal..."
Penguin said:
Being a webhost myself, I have to deal with these kind of questions Constantly. =/
You act like its hard to setup a database
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2005-08-09, 08:31 PM in reply to LiveWire's post starting "You act like its hard to setup a..."
It is after you do it twice a day for months.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Penguin

Posted 2005-08-10, 05:46 AM in reply to Penguin's post starting "It is after you do it twice a day for..."
He's been banned?! That was...unexpected...

Edit: 
This is just great. They're pissing around with me now. I send them an e-mail a couple of days ago saying their script for ads did not work, they sent me the same script saying put it on your site, it'll be fine. I put it on my site, and today I get an e-mail: "you have removed our text ads!, please ads it ASAP or let us close this account." Nothing about the SQL database. If they don't become competent soon, then screw them. Anyone know a good free web package with FTP access, PHP and 1 database? Lots of storage etc., and possibly no ads (though I can live with a few).

Last edited by Lenny; 2005-08-10 at 07:16 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-10, 11:21 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "He's been banned?! That..."
Free? nope.

Livewire was banned by chruser for ripping his vb theme =0
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Penguin

Posted 2005-08-10, 12:21 PM in reply to Penguin's post starting "Free? nope. Livewire was banned by..."
Oh dear. That can't be good.

Edit: 
Have told www.0freehosting.com where to stick it and have gone with a better host.

Last edited by Lenny; 2005-08-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-13, 10:06 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oh dear. That can't be good. Have..."
Sorry for the double post...but I'm confused again...

I've changed webhost to a much better one, and have made my SQL database, entered all the correct details on the install page, pressed next and...

Quote:
Warning!

The following errors must be rectified before continuing!
Please go back and try again!

Connection error:

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
I'm sorry to say that I think I need help...again...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-08-14, 01:59 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Sorry for the double post...but I'm..."
Its a common mistake, your sql info is entered wrong. Did you assign the user to the database that you created? also you might have to use the full database name sometimes it has like an underscore _. It should be in the readme/faq if you read it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Penguin

Posted 2005-08-14, 05:44 AM in reply to Penguin's post starting "Its a common mistake, your sql info is..."
I created the database. Entered in the details correctly (with the underscore as well), yet it doesn't want to work for me. No matter what I do it still comes up with that error.

I think I might have to contact this webhost as well...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny