Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Science and Technology News

Oculus Rift: A VR headset that (potentially) doesn't suck
Posted 2012-08-01, 07:23 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-into-the-game

Slashdot said:
Virtual reality headsets have historically been very disappointing. While the concept has been fun and interesting, the technological realities never quite lived up to expectations, and hardware developers largely gave up on research into this kind of device. However, it's been long enough that display technology has caught up to our ambitions. So, where are our VR headsets? Well, hobbyist Palmer Luckey asked that same question, and when he couldn't find a good answer, he decided to build one himself. He and his team have built a prototype, and they just launched a Kickstarter campaign to distribute developer kits. The campaign blew past its $250,000 goal in hours. What's interesting about this particular campaign is that Palmer took the Oculus Rift to various development studios and managed to get enthusiastic endorsements from some big names, including Cliff Bleszinski, Gabe Newell, and John Carmack.

I'm excited, after having toyed with the idea of making my own full-FOV VR headset for a while (which I promptly gave up on after reading about John Carmack's similar project).

Anyway, I have two gripes with it:

1: It doesn't seem to take eyeball movement into account, which (I think) would cause some interesting distortions.

2: The resolution is far too low to render anything that looks remotely close to reality. Based on http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/eye-resolution.html, a "safe" estimate for the resolution of the full FOV of the human eye seems to be around 700 megapixels. Assuming hemispherical displays around each eye with a radius of 3 cm (1.18 inches), it works out to 800 million pixels per inch, which is roughly 6-7 orders of magnitude more than what modern displays will produce.

Of course, in standard 16:9 terms, 700 megapixels amounts to a 35280x19845 pixel resolution, so it's not hard to see why there would be very significant hardware issues to make good use of such a display, too...
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-08-02, 08:19 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Oculus Rift: A VR headset that..."
I'm kinda excited for this. Though I don't see the need for more resolution then is produced by a Bluray disk. To me, that looks realistic enough.

EDIT by KA: Woops, I edited your post instead of posting my own.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2012-08-02 at 09:45 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-02, 09:45 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I'm kinda excited for this. Though I..."
When it's so close to your eyes you'll notice a difference more readily.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-02, 10:04 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "When it's so close to your eyes you'll..."
I was never one to be annoyed by graphics.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-02, 01:47 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Oculus Rift: A VR headset that..."
It may not be perfect, but I am def intrigued by this device.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-03, 08:54 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "It may not be perfect, but I am def..."
Agreed. I'm the kind of guy that turns down the graphics for best speed. So the bad resolution won't bother me at all. So long as it isn't as huge and bulky as previous VR devices have been.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin