Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Science and Technology News

Deriving e=mc^2
Posted 2010-03-30, 12:19 AM
We begin with the definition of relativistic mass:

We can now define relativistic momentum as:

Since force is defined as

we can define force in the relativistic context analogously:

In classical physics work is defined as

We can reduce this to a problem in a single dimension for simplicity, and recall that the kinetic energy added to a body is equal to the work done on the body by an external force:

From here we can say:

Applying the definition of relativistic mass, the last expression becomes:

[

Integrating through, we have

The term on the left,
, is the total energy of the body after an external force is applied, the term on the right,
is the rest energy, and the final expression is the kinetic energy of the body.

The kinetic energy can be expressed more clearly, in my opinion, as

And there you have it. Mass is energy!

Last edited by Sovereign; 2010-03-30 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags to make font stand out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-30, 12:20 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Deriving e=mc^2"
Latex isn't working entirely properly. But you should get the gist of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-30, 12:24 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Latex isn't working entirely properly. ..."
I have fixed it for now, but certain things aren't rendering correctly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2010-03-30, 08:23 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I have fixed it for now, but certain..."
I'm glad I know this now. Or rather that I've read it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2010-03-30, 08:28 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Deriving e=mc^2"
Well, at least now I know HOW e = mc^2
I'd heard it used to many times in cartoons, it was in my head before teachers ever got around too it (infact, I've probably learned more from cartoons than text books), but at least now I know how it fits together.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-03-30, 10:24 AM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Well, at least now I know HOW e = mc^2..."
Well, I'm glad it helped someone, and was not an exercise in LaTeX. If there is anything I can clear up, let me know.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes