Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Science and Technology News

Pirate Bay Announces Sale to Swedish Company For $7.8 Million, dies an hour later
Posted 2009-06-30, 08:37 AM
The Pirate Bay is to be bought for $7.8 million by Global Gaming Factory X, a Swedish company specializing in internet café management software, the company has announced. As well as taking over the controversial brand, GGF has also bought Peerialism, a small IT company with roots at Sweden's Royal Institute of Technology, which has developed a new file sharing technology. The acquisitions mean that GGF will be at the heart of 'the international digital distribution market,' allowing it to introduce a new pay model for file sharing.

Update: Global Gaming Factory have confirmed (according to Dagens Nyheter, a respected news outlet in Sweden) that "Users of The Pirate Bay will have to pay to download music and movies. Those who seed material will be able to profit from doing so."

Last edited by Chruser; 2009-06-30 at 03:43 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Babylon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenBabylon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Babylon

Posted 2009-06-30, 08:48 AM in reply to Babylon's post "Pirate Bay Announces Sale to Swedish..."
That's retarded.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-30, 08:51 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's retarded."
As you remarked on ICQ, it's possible that traffic spikes have brought them down. However, they have been perfectly fine during previous spikes, e.g. just after the creators received their sentences.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Babylon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenBabylon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Babylon

Posted 2009-06-30, 09:16 AM in reply to Babylon's post "Pirate Bay Announces Sale to Swedish..."
Chruser said: [Goto]
Interestingly, The Pirate Bay stopped working about 20 minutes ago; approximately an hour after the news was made public. A DDoS attack seems unlikely, so perhaps the company that procured TPB was a shell company for the RIAA/MPAA?

It still works fine for me - the site and torrents I'm downloading.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-30, 11:03 AM in reply to Babylon's post "Pirate Bay Announces Sale to Swedish..."
This blew my mind. Oh well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-30, 11:34 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "This blew my mind. Oh well."
I can't blame them, but it's a total sell out based on their previous actions.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2009-06-30, 03:12 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I can't blame them, but it's a total..."
Post updated with disastrous news.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Babylon

Posted 2009-06-30, 03:34 PM in reply to Babylon's post starting "Post updated with disastrous news."
Eee, that's a swizz and no mistake.

The internet being the internet, however, means that people will just move to a different site. I'll be very surprised if members of TPB don't start up a new site to fill the void.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-30, 05:05 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Eee, that's a swizz and no mistake. :(..."
Horrible idea, since many artists couldn't care less if their work was pirated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2009-06-30, 07:10 PM in reply to Babylon's post "Pirate Bay Announces Sale to Swedish..."
More: http://thepiratebay.org/blog/164

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-07-01, 01:12 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "More: http://thepiratebay.org/blog/164"
I didn't have to pay for my Rise Against album download.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack