Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Post My First Pixel Art
Posted 2003-09-29, 01:48 PM
My first time really trying. Alot harder then i asummed it would be. Take a look.
Attached Images
File Type: gif tower.gif (8.8 KB, 120 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-29, 01:50 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Nice
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2003-09-29, 01:57 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Thanks man
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-29, 02:28 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Not bad, although there are a few geometrical and gravitaional flaws involved. Look at the box attached to the crane wire. Either the crane must be swinging the box with an immense speed towards the camera, as the three small wires are attached the the back of the box from our perspective. If you want to fix this, simply pull one of the three wires down a little bit to connect to the other side of the top surface (of the box). Poke around with it for a bit, and I'm sure you'll find out what I mean.

The top of the skyscraper looks great, but sometimes, the key to good art is to make it look pleasing. All the windows on a flat background, going all the way from the bottom to the top look flat, despite the two color variations. Oh, a totally flat front view is seen very rarely, even in a relatively flat pixel artwork. A slightly isometric angle easily makes pixel buildings look a lot nicer, and a 45º viewing angle (looking straight on the sharp edges on a cube, for instance) is a great way to start.

For instance, you can start with a line in the middle that defines the height, then start from the bottom and draw two pixels right, go up one pixel, draw two right, up one... Then do the same thing again, starting from the bottom, but going left.

I hope some of my rambling was of some help. It takes a bit of practice to get good, but once you get a really good hang of perspective, you'll definitely have a lot of use for it, despite if you do isometric art, or draw on paper, whether it be one or two vanishing points, or just any eyeballed sketch.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-09-29, 03:01 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Thanks alot for the feedback and advice, i will try what you say and post it within the next few days. Making a flat building was all i could think of at the time. But yesterday while i was driving threw the city i was looking at some skyscrapers and noticed how they look at a 45o angle and now i got some new ideas to play with. Thanks Again!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-29, 03:02 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
I find it quite nice. Lots of detail on the crain . . and the top of the building. The front of the building with the windows is kinda dull . . but can't really do much about that . . they are only windows. Hehe

Nice Job.

P.S. US Flag was a nice touch.
Give into the dumb. -Pyschostick
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExeterBlue is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExeterBlue is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExeterBlue

Posted 2003-09-29, 03:04 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
ExeterBlue said:
P.S. US Flag was a nice touch.
I thought that it would be
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-29, 05:26 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
I never liked pixel art... But good try nevertheless. Keep going, it's always good to see more new aspiring artists
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-30, 09:50 AM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Minor problems which the shape of the crane, but very nice nevertheless. Better than I could do, much better.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2003-09-30, 12:35 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Thanks everyone, i just got bored and thought i would give it a shot. I'll have some more on the way. I got alot of projects i need to finsh, but i finally got the chance to start and read my LW book that chruser recomended.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-30, 12:47 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Inside Lightwave 7 is an awesome book, although I found the initial chapters kind of boring, and couldn't wait until I'd get started on more advanced stuff as I knew the basics already. But, I learnt quite a few things from the basic chapters as well that I've missed. Just enjoy the book, you WILL learn a lot of cool stuff from it.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-09-30, 05:08 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Inside Lightwave 8 is out... If you guys were wondering
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-30, 06:11 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
thanks, but i bought inside LW 7 about 6 months ago and finally got the chance to read it. Im not paying $75.00 again lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-30, 07:06 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Is lightwave 8 even out yet?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-09-30, 07:15 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Um... Not sure, but if you buy your copy of LW 7 now, You get a free upgrade.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-10-03, 06:23 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Can someone loan me a couple thousand dollars -.-
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
`Insolence` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between`Insolence` is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

`Insolence`

Posted 2003-10-03, 06:24 PM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
Try your local charity? lol
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-10-04, 12:51 AM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
I'm not going to say the whole thing, because i'm not sure it's allowed here, you can try K*zZa.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kingof2v1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKingof2v1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kingof2v1

Posted 2003-10-04, 12:53 AM in reply to LiveWire's post "My First Pixel Art"
i'm pretty sure he already knows >.> but let's get back on topic
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin