Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2008-01-11, 07:18 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I know that's not what he meant, but I..."
Willkillforfood said:
I know that's not what he meant, but I was bored and felt like typing something.
Maybe next time you should think a littler harder before you type and try to troll me. I know we used to say khwiii was Zelaron's most worthless member but you're starting to take his spot.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-01-11, 12:08 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yes, that is very true. But, look at it..."
D3V said:
Good point, we would have no Pyramids, no Cistine chapel, no old Roman structures or Colosseums, No massive churches that you can find worldwide, etc.
A lot of the origins of music were also rooted in religion, and many of the advances were inspired by religious subjects as well.

Religion is the original "greater good" cause, meaning that it was the first thing to unite people in mind (spirit for those that believe) as well as body. While it's true that something else may have done the same eventually, it likely wouldn't have happened until much later as logic and reason became prevalent.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2008-01-15, 03:40 PM in reply to D3V's post "Would the world be better off without..."
Faith is an undesirable thing for any thinking person to posess. If the world was based on fact, and people actually tried to scientifically ascertain not a mere belief - but a theory on the subject of a Godhead supported by theories tested extensively (such as gravity) - and did not approach anything dogmatically or be willingly ignorant - the world would indeed be a utopia.

That will never happen.

I am saddened that humanity can't see that their man-made stories explaining existence are at fault compared to factual evidence. Factual evidence is really all we can use in determining the existence of a god. I really hate calling it god, but it seems that term is powerful in the world we live in, so I'll use it.

I can write a work of fiction containing believable physics of this world and use the identities of individuals to make it sound true - but does that make it less fictitious?

Alternatively, I am capable of acting out a series of events and arrive at the same path that I could have written, but it actually happened.

See how a story differs from fact? The problem is, all religions find some way to excuse themselves from being tested in one way or another. The reason is too much resides on faith.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-15, 04:13 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Faith is an undesirable thing for any..."
50 Atheism Quotes
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-02-13, 07:08 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "50 Atheism Quotes..."
I'm currently reading a book by Christopher Hitchens titled God Is Not Great - How Religion Poisons everything, anyone interested on how religion has held back society as a whole should give it a read

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-13, 07:12 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "I'm currently reading a book by..."
Adrenachrome said:
I'm currently reading a book by Christopher Hitchens titled God Is Not Great - How Religion Poisons everything, anyone interested on how religion has held back society as a whole should give it a read
That book was great, though I personally prefer the God Delusion by Dawkins.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-13, 07:22 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "That book was great, though I..."
I might have to give that one a look after I finish this one

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome