Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Post The Death of Post Counts
Posted 2003-09-02, 04:05 PM
Many times, many places, the removal of post counts has been touted as a great solution to useless spam on forums. But with the removal of post count comes issues such as how newbies know the regulars from from the occational visitors and such. I propose that we hide postcounts and replace them with an activity metric such as the following:

Where
vw=the number of days in the past week that the user has been logged on
pw=the number of posts the user has made in the past week with a max of 4 per day

vm=the number of days in the past 28 days that the user has been logged on
pm=the number of posts the user has made in the past 28 days with a max of 4 per day

activity metric= (vw*3+pw*2)*2+(vm*3+pm*2)

In this case, the maximum points would be 462 (maximums are good, less incentive for spamming).
If a user were to visit every day but not post, he would have 126 points, or 29%.
If a user were to visit every day and make one post each day, he would have 210 points, or 45%
If a user has not yet visited for the day, it represents 5% of their total possible points.
If a user is inactive for a week, it will result in a point reduction of 50%.

I'm interested in thoughts on this idea, as well as alternate methods of calculating activity metric, reasons why this would or wouldn't be good. I am NOT interested in one or two word responses such as "yes" "no" "fuck you" "this sucks" "awesome", etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:09 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
The idea is interesting. I believe it would do better than post counts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:12 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Just leave it with post counts, much easier to understand.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:12 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
its a good idea. inventive. but i dont think it would work ny beter. just more complicated.
i must not fear. fear is the mind killer. i will face my fears and when they are gone only i will remain.
Clan Laomainn.
Ne Parcas Nec Spernas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhaplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haplo

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:22 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
I like the idea, and I was just messing around with the numbers... I like how you made the numbers work out so that the weekly activity is most important.

I was going to suggest making a more rounded number, but this way actually works out nicely.

Quick question: What would happen to Post Count? Would it just vanish into the dark, or would there be a way to check up on it out of curiousity?

I'm going to mess with some numbers now, but I doubt I'll find anything more intriguing...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:25 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
once a person gets an account, i really dont think that person would want to understand what all that was for. i'm with K_A
!King_Amazon! said:
good idea though :-P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
J_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJ_iceman is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

J_iceman

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:28 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
If a member comes here and sees such low numbers, they will think this forum is inactive. I'm sure my 5000+ posts(along with other people's) will be more initiative to stay here than 462.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-09-02, 04:30 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
wELCOEM TO NAZI GERMANY.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:31 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
leave it the way it is =\
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:33 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
This is a serious thread.

You should round off the numbers more I think.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:37 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
As it stands the numbers are not round, but they work great for the purpose, which is to create a formula that emhasizes weekly activity, especially the present week. 462 isn't that bad anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:38 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Couldn't we have both?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
I don't think you (WW) should do this untill I get Cable again :-/

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:44 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
I'm thinking... We get rid of everything, post counts and any sort of value indicating either activeness and senority. A person should be judged upon his skills and personality, not a meter that shows how active they are. If you wanna know active, just search for his last post, and check the date. If a person is active enough you'll see his/her post around.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:44 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Well, if you can find another Formula that would incorporate exactly a 50% difference from the max points after 1 week of complete inactivity with a more round number, then please, post it. I tried for about 5-7 minutes when I first read this post, but got bored, and decided that 462 isn't all that bad, LOL.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:48 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
What's the difference in that and post count?

Post count is a lot easier to understand. We are not all super-computers like WW.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:48 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
!King_Amazon! said:
I would have to agree with KA for once

Maybe a pictrure example of somesort would help us better understand.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:49 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Like I said... rid of any metric mesurement system
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:50 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
LiveWire said:
!King_Amazon! said:
I would have to agree with KA for once

Maybe a pictrure example of somesort would help us better understand.
That was me

im really confused on how this will work so i think a pic would be helpfull

But i still think Leave it the way it is
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
LiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLiveWire is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

LiveWire

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:52 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Whats the deal with changing it the way it is?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Insanity is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenInsanity is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Insanity