Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Life Discussion

Arrow ..Work and life...
Posted 2007-07-24, 01:02 PM
I don't know about you guys, but recently I've been finding myself in a rut at work. It's not even the fact that I don't like I do, because I don't dislike it, I just feel like I can be doing so much more.. Atleast for this point in time, this job is great for me, somewhat of a flexible schedule, good enough pay, benefits, etc etc. But i'd rather be doing something else with my life, for the rest of my life. I've contemplating being an entrepeneur for the longest time, but it always seems like the downfalls of owning my own business outweighs the benefits.

But for now I just feel like I am stuck. I would love more than anything to open a car customization shop, not only customizing the customers car, but doing anything they would want to it, along with restoring older generation cars (Older Camaros, Mustangs, Cudas, etc etc etc) which realistically if I could get my feet off of the ground, would be enough money to not only support myself and my "family to be" but would be enough to expand and to actually have a crew to work with me. But I think I would rather start it off as a hobby, that way I can get a firsthand feel of what I'm going to have to do in order to keep it going, rather than just stopping everything else I have going for me now, and trying something completely new.

As for college, at this point in time I don't feel like it's even worth it, but as everyone says, it's good to have something to fall back on. I'm almost half way done with my A.S. degree, and after that who knows what else I can do, I've been contemplating going into Computer Networking maybe get a few degrees,.. But recently once again, I just don't want to be in an office my entire life just wasting away all of this energy that I could be putting forward into something that is actually productive.

..Hmm, i'm sure i'll figure out what I want to do eventually. I just have more growing up to do I suppose, just felt like venting out a bit. Thanks

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2007-07-24 at 02:35 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-07-24, 08:52 PM in reply to D3V's post "..Work and life..."
Dude, degrees are overrated if they aren't geared toward a specific career (I went with a B.A. in English and ended up working in a pharmacy for 6 years now; go figure). Computer Networking sounds like it could open doors to a wide variety of employers, though, as pretty much every company/organization needs to be networked these days.

Of course, I do understand how much of a pain in the ass school can be, especially if you're sitting there thinking about things you'd rather be doing with your life. The entire educational/occupational system is fucked up.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-24, 09:08 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Dude, degrees are overrated if they..."
My dad had a classmate who went to school for 10 years, mainly because he had no idea what the hell he wanted to do. I hear pharmacy pays well, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2007-07-24, 09:20 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "Dude, degrees are overrated if they..."
Computer Networking is very fast-paced, you have to be really into it (and up to date constantly) to do the job, honestly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-24, 10:23 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Computer Networking is very fast-paced,..."
A degree (education) gets you into buildings though. Certain jobs (especially in the financial world) require at least a degree so that you can obtain an interview. I know many people that have left college early to start careers and regret not finishing thier education because they fall into a category that employers just pass over, college dropouts. Also, not having a degree doesnt allow one to get promoted to higher levels within companies because of educational problems. Maybe college isnt for you, but try to tough it out because getting a degree will only benefit you in the long run.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2007-07-25, 12:52 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Computer Networking is very fast-paced,..."
Vollstrecker said:
Computer Networking is very fast-paced, you have to be really into it (and up to date constantly) to do the job, honestly.
Yeah I'm very well aware of it, I went into a vocational block class all through high school (Computer Electronics Technology) and eventually got to roam the campus going on calls to repair computers, etc. It was actually pretty easy, but Networking is so much more complex, and like vault says there's many many different ways you can go about in that field.

But i'm not sure anymore, I'm just going to go with the flow.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-07-27, 12:14 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Yeah I'm very well aware of it, I went..."
College is the new high school.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-27, 04:39 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "College is the new high school."
RoboticSilence said:
College is the new high school.
Seriously. Professors even take attendance at mine, although it is a community college.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-27, 04:42 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Seriously. Professors even take..."
Vollstrecker said:
Seriously. Professors even take attendance at mine, although it is a community college.
Mine is the same way. Actually, last semester I got dropped from an elective course that I HAVE TO TAKE because I was absent 4 times. What bullshit, they didn't drop me until the end of the semester, and my class average was a 94... But since I hadn't met the attendance requirements they had to withdraw me from the course, I was so pissed off you have no idea.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-07-27, 05:13 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Seriously. Professors even take..."
What I mean is that college degrees hold the same weight as high school degree used to (whereas high school is pretty much mandatory if you have a GED) and it's difficult to get any job without some kind of degree even if it doesn't really follow in the same skill path. It just shows "Dedication" or "conformism" or something I dunno.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-07-27, 05:30 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "What I mean is that college degrees..."
I think it falls more under 'Dedication' these days, but yeah. Without a degree in even Basketweaving, you are gonna have a rough time of it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-08-06, 12:50 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I think it falls more under..."
As i have said before I work for a general contractor. I work in the field...and today one of our inspectors brought me a pink hard hat. I was flattered and happy. decided to post it .

I really love my job...(most of the time), I've learned SO MUCH and most everyones really nice. <3 it
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-08-06, 01:15 PM in reply to klo's post starting "As i have said before I work for a..."
Unfortunately I will be in school for a very long time. I'm getting a B.S. in biology and then moving on to some more school after that. I will basically go for pharmacy/medical/graduate, whatever I feel like by that point and whatever I can get in I suppose lol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113