Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

Posted 2003-09-02, 05:53 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
It is an indirect way to alleviate most of the spamming problems that we were/are having... Clever too might I add.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-02, 06:00 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
You guys dont udnerstand....even fi you remove post count....the spam will continue.....peopel dont just reply to a thread just to get another point
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2003-09-02, 06:00 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Im pretty sure that taking away the post ccount will be detramental. People will still spam to raise that percentage thingy too
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-09-02, 06:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
People will spam until they learn that they can't. That's what the new rules are for. Who cares if they spam? That just means they get banned.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-09-02, 06:16 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Exactly. or maybe as a way to punish spammers, you can take just THEIR post count away.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-09-02, 07:50 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
From personal experience running TAF, I can honestly say removing post counts and indicators affected by user activity will not reduce spam in the least. The only real way to reduce spam is to let people know it isn't tolerate and start handing out warnings and temporary bans, followed by permanent bans for serious repeat offenders.

The hardest part of it all though is determing what exactly you consider spam and what you don't.
A+ Certified PC Tech Guy/Seitentaisei
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSqrl is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Sqrl

Posted 2003-09-02, 07:56 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
I say give it a test drive for a month or so and see how it does. Personally I think its better than posts counts even if it doesn't get rid of spam.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hellmonkeys is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHellmonkeys is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hellmonkeys

Posted 2003-09-02, 07:58 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
I think we should get the anti spam hack.

If we deem someone a spammer it will count down their post count instead of up.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2003-09-02, 08:53 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Adrenachrome - I'm interested in that hack... It might be nice
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-02, 08:55 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
So the post counts are gone now?

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67

Posted 2003-09-02, 11:06 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
If you would turn your moronic head to the left side (or right side depending on the template you are using) you would see they are still there dumbnut
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Randuin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Randuin

Posted 2003-09-03, 04:45 AM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
quikspy67 said:
I really hope you are joking.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-09-03, 06:56 AM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
This is a very good idea, WW. BUT... people still want to have an inkling of what the hell is going on, perhaps we should keep ranks or make new ranks that change as points increase/decrease. LiveWire suggested picture icons to represent the activity. In fact, another idea is to have this formula but not actually display it, instead just display the rank/icon. That way it's not as confusing to newbies or nonsupercomputers like KA.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-09-03, 08:37 AM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Quote:
Quick question: What would happen to Post Count? Would it just vanish into the dark, or would there be a way to check up on it out of curiousity?
In most places where it is visible, it would be replaced with the activity ranking (as a bar, icons, or a percentage, it wouldn't be displayed raw like I described it. You would be able to check post count in the admin CP.

Quote:
People will still spam to raise that percentage thingy too
But you see, the whole point of this system is that that doesn't work. Only the first 4 posts of each day are counted. Any beyond that do nothing to raise your activity level.

Quote:
In fact, another idea is to have this formula but not actually display it, instead just display the rank/icon. That way it's not as confusing to newbies or nonsupercomputers like KA.
Yes, I was actually thinking of using tables to turn it into a bar, but I like the idea of having icons for different levels, too.

I think I might implement this system in addition to post count so we can all see how it would work out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:56 AM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
!King_Amazon! said:
quikspy67 said:
I really hope you are joking.
Sorry I was testing something.

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67

Posted 2003-09-03, 12:02 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Grav, don't spam the Forum Discussion again, especially with posts that are in direct mocking fashion of an Admins request.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-09-03, 12:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Titusfied said:
Grav, don't spam the Forum Discussion again, especially with posts that are in direct mocking fashion of an Admins request.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2003-09-03, 01:04 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
WetWired said:
I think I might implement this system in addition to post count so we can all see how it would work out.
That sounds like the best way to go about a transition/test drive of this formula. I like how 4 posts per day is the max counted, so even if you can't sit on the computer all day and pospospost, you can have 'max' rating or whatever.

Implementing this is good, my vote is YAY
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DrowningOnAir is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDrowningOnAir is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

DrowningOnAir

Posted 2003-09-03, 09:47 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
I have no idea what WW said, anyone got a pic of how it would look like?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2003-09-04, 01:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post "The Death of Post Counts"
Leave it liek it is.....all you'll get by remove and changign things are people leaving......
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight