Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Anybody recognize these bands?
Posted 2004-04-13, 07:20 AM
When I was a young teenager (between 11 and 16), I was pretty fucking poor. A new videogame was maybe a twice-per-year occasion (Christmas and birthday), only once if it was a particularly expensive game (such as Chrono Trigger). New clothing was a scant affair, but I was lucky, considering I was a shrimp and I've always been fortunate enough to rarely grow too big for my clothing. Others perks such as music were a rare treat as well. I might recieve a CD for my birthday if I had a particularly generous (and well-to-do) friend. Because of this monetary roadhump, I needed alternative ways of procuring music without needing to spend money. KEGL, 97.1 The Eagle, in Dallas, Texas was my savior.

Man, did I tape the hell out of the radio. I recently went through a stack of all my old tapes (about 20 in all) and was taken aback by some of the stuff that was on them. I completely forgot about most of these bands entirely, regardless of the fact that I grew up with them. Most all of these bands were around between '92 and '98. How many of them do you recognize? I'll post some song titles that might help jog your memory.

Brother Cane - "And Fools Shine On"
Kicking Harold - "Kill You"
Failure - "Stuck on You"
Naked - "Mann's Chinese"
Reacharound - "Big Chair"
Stabbing Westward - "Shame"
Second Coming - "Soft"
Sponge - "Wax Ecstatic"
Spacehog - "In The Meantime"

I can't remember any more off the top of my head, but I'll post more later tonight when they come back to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-04-13, 07:34 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Anybody recognize these bands?"
I have never heard of any of the aforementioned bands.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2004-04-13, 11:27 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "I have never heard of any of the..."
I've heard of second comeing, but thats all.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
platnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenplatnum is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

platnum

Posted 2004-04-13, 02:34 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Anybody recognize these bands?"
I remember Stabbing Westward, Spacehog, and I actually have that Sponge song. It owns. I listen to it all the time, and I still remember that music video.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-04-13, 02:59 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I remember Stabbing Westward, Spacehog,..."
I clearly remember Stabbing Westward. They were one of my favorites during my "everything sucks," stage of life. Wow.. those were some fun times.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-04-13, 03:45 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Anybody recognize these bands?"
never heard of any of those bands. Are they any good and what type of music do they play???

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-04-13, 04:35 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "never heard of any of those bands. Are..."
If you like listening to people scream about how they hate their lives and want to bleed endlessly into a toilet, then Stabbing Westward is the band for you. Not quite sure about the others though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-04-14, 02:05 AM in reply to uncapped's post starting "If you like listening to people scream..."
Maybe the song titles weren't enough to jumpstart some people's memories. I'll post some lyrics to the aforementioned songs.

Brother Cane - I'm not gonna post the chorus lyrics because the vocalist just says "and fools shine on" over and over. If anyone saw Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers the song was played at the beginning of the end credits.

Kicking Harold - "Would it kill you if I told you I loved you? Would it kill you if I told you I cared? Would it kill you if I told you I loved you? Would it kill you if I told you I'm scared?"

Failure - "Stuck on you, 'til the end of time. I'm too tired to find your rhyme. I can't escape your incessant whine. When you beam it out all across the sky. No, I can't escape your insipid rhyme. When you shoot it deep straight into my mind."

Naked - "Never gonna bend and I'm never gonna break. Everybody fronts, everybody fakes. Never gonna stop, and I'm never gonna stay. Everynody watch, everybody wave. Boulevard of dreams, everything it seems. Shine and you believe. I've gotta get away, no I'm never gonna stay. Here at the Mann's Chinese"

Reacharound - "Oi! Oi! I'm sittin' in the big chair...dying."

Stabbing Westward - "I don't know if I'm real without you. What is left of me without you? I don't know what's real without you. How can I exist without you?"

Second Coming - "Yeah, I was soft for the first time. Now content to breathe so deeply. Yeah, I've got my hands in my pockets. Burn, burn, burn."

Sponge - "It's something that is automatic. It's Wax Ecstatic. When life is nothing less than tragic. It's Wax Ecstatic. When love has lost all it's magic. It's Wax Ecstatic. When life can't promise the fantastic."

Spacehog - "We love the all, the all in you. Our lands are green and skies are blue. All in all, we're just like you. We love the all in you."

Here's a few more bands. Song titles included.

Addict - "Monster Side"
Big Wreck - "The Oaf"
Cowboy Mouth - "Jenny Says"
Helmet - "Unsung"
Kenny Wayne Shepard - "Blue On Black"
Veruca Salt - "Volcano Girls"

Here's some more lyrics to help jog the memory.

Addict - "I just can't hide my monster side, my monster side. Oh, I can't control the loss I feel, the loss I feel.

Big Wreck - "My luck is wasted. I'm on the run somewhere."

Cowboy Mouth - "Jenny says 'turn off the radio.' Jenny says 'turn off the light.' Jenny says 'turn off the video.' You beat yourself up 'cause you love it. Let it go, let it go, let it go. Let it go, let it go, let it go. When the world keeps coming down on me, I let it go."

Helmet - "Your will to speak clearly, exposed too much. Unsung once too often, could not rub off."

Kenny Wayne Shepard - "Blue on black, tears on a river, push on a shove, it don't mean much. Joker on jack, match on a fire, cold on ice, a dead man's touch. Whisper on a scream, doesn't change a thing. Doesn't bring you back. Blue on black."

Veruca Salt - "Leave me lying here, 'cause I don't wanna go." (It might also help to jog your memory if I told you the vocalist was a chick.)

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-04-14 at 02:10 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-04-15, 10:26 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Maybe the song titles weren't enough to..."
Spacehog, Big Wreck and Stabbing Westward are all known to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2004-04-15, 11:55 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Maybe the song titles weren't enough to..."
I remember the existance of Veruca Salt, but I don't remember her or her song...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-04-22, 09:41 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "Spacehog, Big Wreck and Stabbing..."
Rurouni Storm said:
Spacehog, Big Wreck and Stabbing Westward are all known to me.
Same.

take away the ten character limit because it is worthless, it isn't stopping me from doing anything "negative".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-04-22, 10:35 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Same. take away the ten character..."
I haven't heard any of those bands...Stabbing Westward sounds pretty cool, though.

Here's a song from an old band too.

Dope - "Die Motherfucker Die"

http://www.leethacks.com/other/diemotherfuckerdie.zip
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos