Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

SpaceX attempts second platform landing
Posted 2015-02-10, 10:22 AM

Being able to look into the sky and seeing even a small rocket like this launching is something unimaginable and awesome to those who have never experienced something of this nature.

The launch is slated for 6:05pm tonight. The first attempt was Sunday but was hung up due to technical issues.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/spa...veral/31190314

The last attempt roughly 1 month ago failed as the booster came in at a 45 degree angle.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]

Last edited by D3V; 2015-02-10 at 10:24 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2015-02-10, 11:53 AM in reply to D3V's post "SpaceX attempts second platform landing"
Any word on who's buying the first flight on a reused first stage?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2015-02-10, 01:06 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Any word on who's buying the first..."
I believe they will be keeping it in house and using it to conitnue with their ISS loads.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2015-02-10, 05:52 PM in reply to D3V's post "SpaceX attempts second platform landing"
Tonight's launch scrubbed because of strong winds.

Next attempt: Wednesday, 18:03 EST!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2015-02-10, 10:38 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "I believe they will be keeping it in..."
I doubt that. For the currently scheduled trips, a new rocket was paid for. Also, the first few returns will obviously go to test flights. At some point, someone has to step up and buy a trip on a used first stage for this whole endeavor to become profitable in the near term.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2015-02-11, 09:17 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I doubt that. For the currently..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
I doubt that. For the currently scheduled trips, a new rocket was paid for. Also, the first few returns will obviously go to test flights. At some point, someone has to step up and buy a trip on a used first stage for this whole endeavor to become profitable in the near term.
I'm not sure it's the rocket they are actually paying for or the delivery medium. Either way I'm sure that's what their plan is. The viability would have to be proven before somebody is going to buy a used launch rocket. But once it does, they can increase their output in multiples.

And yeah, last night's launch was scrubbed. Can't wait to check it tonight if it does pull through.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2015-02-11, 01:20 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Tonight's launch scrubbed because of..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
Tonight's launch scrubbed because of strong winds.

Next attempt: Wednesday, 18:03 EST!
Looks like it's gotten scrubbed again, thanks to rough seas in the Atlantic. The launch itself is still scheduled, but the landing will not be attempted on the pltaform but will instead be a "soft landing" into the ocean.

http://www.space.com/28528-spacex-la...-blackout.html

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2015-02-11, 05:04 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Looks like it's gotten scrubbed again,..."
Sounds like the ocean landing went well!

Elon Musk, on Twitter, said:
Rocket soft landed in the ocean within 10m of target & nicely vertical! High probability of good droneship landing in non-stormy weather.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/565659578915115011

I wonder if they had anything filming? Obviously we won't get a video from cameras on the drone ship, as we did with the previous attempt, but I'd say there's a possibility of video from a tracking aircraft, maybe.

EDIT: Oh, and the satellite launch was successful, too.

Last edited by Lenny; 2015-02-11 at 05:07 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2015-02-11, 11:05 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Looks like it's gotten scrubbed again,..."
One would think that the readership of "space.com" wouldn't need this spelled out so verbosely (and incorrectly...)
space.com said:
...Earth-sun Lagrange Point 1, a gravitationally stable spot in space about 930,000 miles (1.5 million kilometers) from Earth.
In fact, L1 is not gravitationally stable, though there are orbits about it that are mostly stable.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2015-02-12, 10:00 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "One would think that the readership of..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
One would think that the readership of "space.com" wouldn't need this spelled out so verbosely (and incorrectly...)

In fact, L1 is not gravitationally stable, though there are orbits about it that are mostly stable.
Nice find. The article was written nearly immediately after the presser came out from the launch department. Could've been a flub.

Either way. Here's some of the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKk...utu.be&t=4m36s

Can't locate any of the soft landing.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2015-04-14, 07:21 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Nice find. The article was written..."
Attempt #2: Failure (but not by much!)

Coolest photo ever, captured by the chase plane:

There's even a Vine of the landing. Coolest Vine ever!

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/588143946800463874
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2015-04-15, 08:30 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Attempt #2: Failure (but not by much!)..."
I'm pretty excited about this technology.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2015-04-15, 02:23 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I'm pretty excited about this..."
Oooo, HD video!

BORKED
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2015-04-16, 11:11 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Oooo, HD video! BhMSzC1crr0"
Have they isolated what went wrong?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2015-04-17, 03:47 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Have they isolated what went wrong?"
There was a tweet from Musk blaming a sticky valve ("stiction in the biprop throttle valve, resulting in control system phase lag"), but it was deleted pretty quickly. I think the only 'official' statement is: "excessive lateral velocity".

---

BargeCam: http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/...lmost-landing/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2015-04-17, 08:27 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "There was a tweet from Musk blaming a..."
Anyone know specifically why hovering is out?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2015-04-18, 06:20 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Anyone know specifically why hovering..."
I've seen comments around stating: "zero velocity at zero altitude", but no explicit reasons why. My uneducated guess would be that hovering requires more fuel than they want left in the rocket.

EDIT: Nope, not a fuel problem -- hovering is apparently out because with an almost empty first stage, the thrust/weight ratio of the engine is greater than 1, even with the engine throttled down as much as possible. So the engine can decelerate the stage, but can't hold velocity at 0, meaning the only way to land it is to time it so that the velocity hits 0 at the point of touchdown (hence "zero velocity at zero altitude").

---

Musk has confirmed that the issue this time was a sticky valve: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/589577558942822400

"Cause of hard rocket landing confirmed as due to slower than expected throttle valve response. Next attempt in 2 months."

Last edited by Lenny; 2015-04-18 at 06:33 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2015-04-18, 08:33 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've seen comments around stating:..."
I doubt it needs to be that precise. More like zero velocity at altitude below which the landing gear can absorb the impact and leave the rocket upright...

If only relighting the rocket wasn't a hard thing, they could just PWM it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired