Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

RPG titles
Posted 2007-11-05, 10:26 PM
What's the general consensus on the RPG titles on the Xbox 360? From what I've seen there are 2 RPGs. Not sure if there are any more. One is Eternal Sonata, the other I can't remember the name of. One of these has multiplayer capabilities during regular game play, which sounds similar to Secret of Mana or something.

My questions are, what titles are there, which ones are worth getting, and how good is the multiplayer action if applicable.

MMORPGs don't count. I know Phantasy Star Online is on the Xbox 360, but have no interest in it, or any other games I have to pay to play.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-11-05, 10:29 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "RPG titles"
Funny thing, that. I know there were a number of games that made me consider getting a 360 as recently as last week. For the life of me, I can't remember what the hell they were. One may have been an RPG, but I doubt it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-11-06, 09:37 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post "RPG titles"
A few that one of my friends has come up with:

- Oblivion (whihc you obviously know already)
- Mass Effect
- Blue Dragon
- Enchanted Arms

Blue Dragon is a three disc jobby, and seems to be in the cartoon anime style, but 3D. Enchanted Arms is somewhat pretty, but the battle system lacks somewhat. Both of these apparently have really annoying Japanese styles.

Mass Effect is a must-buy. No questions asked.

You could argue that Assassin's Creed has RPG elements to it, also. Either way, it's also a must-buy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-12-04, 11:38 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "A few that one of my friends has come..."
mass effect is REALLY boring at first....but once you get into it you cant put it down.... im a "vanguard" class, and enjoy the hell out of it

oblivion is definately the best RPG for the 360 bar none....( im not really a big fan of turn based bullshit ) i cant say enough for this game...its beautiful, and absolutely amazing.....i LOVE this game
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
micdawg12 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmicdawg12 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

micdawg12

Posted 2008-01-01, 07:49 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "A few that one of my friends has come..."
ive herd so much about blue dragn but cant figure out what it is
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
mariofan is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenmariofan is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

mariofan

Posted 2008-01-01, 09:20 AM in reply to mariofan's post starting "ive herd so much about blue dragn but..."
It's a game created by the creator of the Final Fantasy series - Hironobu Sakaguchi.

The art style is distinctly Japanese, with a cartoonish, anime-ish feel to it - the characters, for example, are the type that look to be three foot tall:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...0004554478.jpg

The plot is a generic bad person terrorising the world, so the heroes set out to stop him.

A Wikipedia article kindly said:
Each year for the past ten years, purple clouds have mysteriously appeared in the sky, signalling misfortune and disaster for people across the world.

After years of torment at the hands of a "land shark" which ravages their village each time the clouds appear, youths Shu, Kluke, and Jiro hatch a plan to fight back against the monstrous fiend. However, in the course of attempting to stop it, they discover it is not a creature at all, but rather a strange machine. After scuffling with the trio, it leaves the village and eventually takes flight, returning to a mother ship high in the purple clouds, taking the three heroes with it.

At the mother ship, they are subjected to constant attacks from metal soldiers. Exploring further, they encounter the ship's captain, an ancient man named Nene. Revealing that he has been behind the yearly attacks on the village, Nene apparently delights in the anguish he causes. Shu and the others are outraged and attempt to defeat him in combat, but he easily defeats them. After barely escaping to a nearby hangar, the three discover a smaller ship docked within, but lack the necessary skills to pilot it. At this point, three small spheres of light appear, and a disembodied female voice instructs them to swallow the spheres in order to gain both power and the ability to pilot the craft. The three youngsters do so, and immediately find that their shadows have grown into monsters; Kluke's becomes a blue phoenix, Jiro's a blue minotaur, and Shu's a blue dragon. They then hastily make their escape aboard the smaller ship, exercising sufficient flying ability to get them down to the ground before it crashes.

Following their escape from Nene's air fortress, the heroes (and several others who join with them) gradually traverse and explore the continent. In the process of doing so, they encounter other people from others towns that have also fallen victim to the purple clouds in one form or another. Struck by the injustice and harm that has been inflicted, they decide that they must stop Nene from continuing to bring ruin upon their world.
As far as I know, it's a traditional RPG game, with traditional elements. Bearing in mind that the fella behind the first Final Fantasy games made it, and you can see why.

I haven't a clue if it was a good game or not, and if it succeeded in the Western Market, but I do know that it was the first 360 game to have to utilise multiple DVD's - three, in fact.

What's interesting to note is that Sakaguchi's next game, Lost Odyssey, is also multi-disc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny