Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

A quickie...
Posted 2006-06-14, 01:44 AM
I know I haven't been on in a while...so I am here to leave a quick little help type of thing...nothing too dramatic.

Name your variables, swithches, events, and anything that has a name bar. It will be a bajillion times easier when you go to move event, and you can choose between little boy, old lady, or bum from your list of 60+ events. Or if you are having problems with a switch, you can look down your list and go, "Oh, look. I used switch 68[slay mantis] and I meant to use switch 72[jemas orders]." Same with variables. "Oh, that's why my scripted thief stole 150 gold from the party and gives back 10." Debugging will be your friend.

Use comments. Don't expect your beta code readers know what you are trying to do. Everytime you change a variable or flip a switch, leave a comment explaining why. Even for things like having drawers open and close, because it helps get you into practice.

Spell Check If you know you aren't a good speller, don't make your beta testers correct words like sword because you thought it was sordw. Have Microsoft Word open if you have it. Or whatever Mac uses as a word processor.

That's all for ways to make your game making smoother. Now for some tips to make your game locations more identifiable. Do you have players go into a tower? Maybe 2 towers? Do they email you asking about how to get past the 3rd floor on the tower? Well with this simple little trick you can help your players and yourself out. Instead of just using a simple teleport to the next map, use a blank screen. Usually when you are going into dungeons. Kinda something like this:

> Hide Screen (whichever style you want)
> Teleport to Alpha Tower blank (3, 4)

On the Alpha Tower Blank Map, make an autostart event, so there is no player movement. Then do the following:

> Display Message: Alpha Tower
> Show Screen (whichever style you want)
> Wait (either key press or time limit)
> Teleport to Alpha Tower (6, 6)

If you have any questions, just post and I, Lenny or Bluecube will help to the best of our knowledge. If Bluecube doesn't have an answer, chances are you're screwed.
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2006-06-14, 04:14 PM in reply to Draco2003's post "A quickie..."
Draco2003 said:

> Teleport to Alpha Tower blank (3, 4)

On the Alpha Tower Blank Map, make an autostart event, so there is no player movement. Then do the following:

> Display Message: Alpha Tower
> Wait (either key press or time limit)
> Teleport to Alpha Tower (6, 6)
Pictures are much, much better for this.

Here's a quick demo because I'm not going to explain it

http://www.make7.org/files/cubetest.zip
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube